Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D switching from raw to jpg on its own???

Hi,

I shoot 100% raw, 100% of the time. I recently acquired a K20D which I love. But my K100D Super is taking no break as both are used whenever possible.
Last week, after a shooting with a friend, I downloaded the ~325 pictures to my PC. To my surprise there was 1 picture in jpg. I though I may have accidentally pressed the raw button or something, but I tried it to see how easy that would be and found it is not very likely. Oh well, no big deal. The pic is fine anyways.
But today, I'm downloading pics from a boy scout camping and to my surprise, there is 1 pic in jpg out of the 200+
The pic is within a few seconds of the previous and the next one, as I was shooting a fire competition. But it was not a burst.
Everything else is fine. The pic is perfectly usable and all, but I'm puzzled.
Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,

04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This happened to me about 3 weeks ago, for 1 JEPG. Don't know why or how, just assumed I screwed something up (as I have been known to do). This is the only time it has ever happened (k100D + K20D).
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any chance you went to green mode? It does not record RAW files.

04-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you pressed the RAW button to get to RAW and you go back to review your pictures it will automatically go back to JPEG once you get back to shooting mode. Your choices are to not review pictures in a row and just chimp after each shot or go into the menu and have RAW as your main shooting mode. it looks like the RAW button was meant for a temporary mode change.

It annoyed me too when I saw this happening the first time.

04-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm, RAW is set at the menu as the main. I don't recall reviewing the shots since it was a fast pace competition and I was looking thru the viewfinder. I didn't even "chimp". I was shooting Av @ f8. But who knows what may have happened... twice. The curious thing is that it is only 1 picture in the middle of the sequence out of dozens. Same as the first time. Just 1 out of ~325.
I'll go thru the menu to see if there is a way to disable the raw button. I suspect it has something to do with it.

Thanks!
04-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I'm getting somewhere here. The RAW button is set in the menu as cancel each time and to go from raw to jpg. I changed it to go from jpg to raw, from raw to raw and from raw+ to raw+ I think what happened is that the button was accidentally pressed and it changed to jpg but since it cancels every time it went back to raw. I can not disable it but now I set it that if it is accidentally pressed it goes to raw.
So I just found out it is a feature I don't need or want

Thanks!