Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #1

Why no dedicated drive button?

I have K-7 now after getting real sick of the all menu based DL. But wondering why there is no dedicated drive button or a way to assign the green button to control drive or something?

Anyone miss having this button?

04-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Why would you need a dedicated button for drive modes?
04-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Wondering this also. It's not a parameter that I frequently change.

NaCl(I think these two responses answer your question)H2O
04-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yeah it's something I set and then leave for quite a while, ie mirror lock up remote for tripod work, continuous low for normal or continuous high for sport/anything else rapid fire.

04-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Just seems like it would make sense to me. It would give more flexibility for exposure bracketing for example. Instead of having to go into the menu, just press a button and exposure bracketing would happen or hi or low drive would happen.

There are dedicated exposure, focus, ISO buttons so to me it would make sense to have a button for drive.

I was walking and some geese took off in flight and if I had a button I could have gone into drive mode and rapidly taken some shots. Happened a couple of times.

While the K-7/K-5 body is superior I think to other brands, I like the layout of the Canon 60D with the row of dedicated buttons on top, one of which is drive is pretty cool.

Yeah I don't use it that much but would be nice to have and I can see how I would use it if I had it either for continuous or one press bracketing.
04-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
up arrow on the direction pad isn't direct enough for you? or you mean a hardware switch?
04-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corvairfan Quote
I like the layout of the Canon 60D with the row of dedicated buttons on top, one of which is drive is pretty cool.
Hmm.. you ever heard of "fat fingers"? Old design... however, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

04-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
While the K-7/K-5 body is superior I think to other brands, I like the layout of the Canon 60D with the row of dedicated buttons on top, one of which is drive is pretty cool.
On 60D, I think you have to press the button and then turn the wheel, right? On K-7, it's pressing up and then using left/right buttons to change modes. Unfortunately, it doesn't show in the viewfinder what you're choosing so you do have to take the eye off the vf. I guess you could do it blindly if you do it a lot...
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
up arrow on the direction pad isn't direct enough for you? or you mean a hardware switch?
I'm confused too
On 60D, I think you have to press the button and then turn the wheel, right? On K-7, it's pressing up and then using left/right buttons to change modes. Unfortunately, it doesn't show in the viewfinder what you're choosing so you do have to take the eye off the vf. I guess you could do it blindly if you do it a lot...
Ah, that may make sense.
04-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't talk about the K7, but... on my K20D is the Mode dial, which spins from Sv to P to Green to... USER. I normally shoot a single frame at a time. But I've set Drive Mode to CONTINUOUS (LO) in my USER setting, with all other USER settings being my usual defaults. Any other Drive Mode options are worth taking menu time, but being able to switch immediately to CONTINUOUS just by spinning the dial is very convenient.
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Corvairfan Quote
I have K-7 now after getting real sick of the all menu based DL. But wondering why there is no dedicated drive button or a way to assign the green button to control drive or something?

Anyone miss having this button?
Yes. I'd rather have the drive switch where the metering mode switch is and vice versa....