Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K7 Sensor Cleaning=Great!

I was looking at a few pics I took this weekend and noticed a "blob" in the mid left section of the frame.. Same thing happened after a rainy visit to Cape Cod last year with my K100 and $85 later, after cleaning, blob disappeared..
It only showed in clear blue sky shots.
I decided to try the built in sensor cleaner feature. 5 secs later, saw the preview that shows the actual spots on the sensor, activated the feature and voila!! Fixed.
This is amazing.
Another reason I just LOVE my K7. Low light schmo light. Some things are like unwrapping an unexpected present!

04-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend that you set the dust removal at start up. It will do automatically a dust removal cycle at each start up and you would not have any more worry.

Food for thought.
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, my Kx and K7 dust removal was far superior to my Nikon D700, or my friend's D3s. Both of their removal is almost unnoticable, both in action and in result. Pretty disappointing for pro cameras.
04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Just be aware that the dust that was sitting on your sensor is still floating around in the shutter box behind the mirror, so it might still be a good idea to use a rocket blower and blow it out of there completely.

04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Just be aware that the dust that was sitting on your sensor is still floating around in the shutter box behind the mirror, so it might still be a good idea to use a rocket blower and blow it out of there completely.
Thanks Twitch.. I was wondering about that.. Lift the mirror up to do it?
04-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I would recommend that you set the dust removal at start up. It will do automatically a dust removal cycle at each start up and you would not have any more worry.

Food for thought.
Good idea. How often would I have to "blow out" the sensor area?
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Thanks Twitch.. I was wondering about that.. Lift the mirror up to do it?
Yeah, it's an option in the custom menu "sensor clean" or something like that. I blow it out maybe once a month. I have the sensor shake thing run on start up.
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Good idea. How often would I have to "blow out" the sensor area?
Only when the build in dust removal fails to take care of it. There is a sticky strip at the bottom of the mirror box for catching dust particles.
I just did my first wet cleaning on my K7 last night. 12000+ shots and plenty of lens changes in past 10 months. That AA filter seems pretty dust repellent.

04-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the Pentax system seems to be superior. Still, like was already said, it really depends on your usage. The more lens changes, type of zooms, environment, etc all play a role in dust collection.