Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I got a K20D... sorta.

Yesterday I happily picked up a 2nd hand, great condition Samsung GX20.
My previous camera is/was a K100d which I've had for a few year. It was purchased with the standard twin lens kit.

To give you a bit of history, my late Fathers side of the family has two main hobbies run through it. Motorcycling and Photography. I've already got the motorcycling ticked off, but never the photography too much. For ages I had a FujiFilm S5100, which was just a gem of a camera. It took just great photo's with the most minimal of messing about. But then a few years back I made a very impulsive purchase of a DSLR (money... pocket... you get the picture). I was at the local Good Guys (an electronics/appliance store) and just randomly decided on the K100d. Essentially because at the time, it seem to offer the best bang-for-buck. It was only later that my Uncle informed me that my Father swore by Pentax - Bonus!.
However the time to invest into learning photography (in general) has eluded me. And for the most part the K100D has sat dormant, only getting a few false starts in the whole 'lets learn this properly' business.
So fast forward to only recently, I got talking with Adrian and I decided to take another good swipe at this, and as such (to get the enthusiasm started) I sourced a GX20 with just the standard 18-55mm.
That was yesterday
So now I'm going to book myself into a beginners course at local photography group (PhotoAccess) and make a proper go of this. My cousin Sam, in Sydney, is all very excited about this as she's a profession freelance photographer herself

At this stage I have the GX20, the standard Samsung 18-55mm, and the Sigma 55-200mm that came with the K100D. I realise that these are probably fairly poor lenses in the grand scheme of things, however I also realise that at my very novice stage a better/expensive lens is going to make diddly-squat difference - so I'm happy to stick with those. Although I'd love something wide-angle to play with some landscapes, and maybe even one of those cheap fish-eye lenses on eBay just for sh*ts and giggles.

So far I've started reading the sample of "Pentax K20D Everything you need to know.....and then some" and intend to buy the eBook. Hopefully that will help me to NOT look like a complete idiot when I rock up to this course

04-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may not realize it, but you are sitting on some diamonds there. The K100D is an excellent camera and it can produce images that will rival anything else out there. The 6MP CCD sensor is a true gem. The 18-55 suffers from discrimination because of its "kit lens" label, but it is actually very good.
However, when the K20 came out, the lens was optimized for it and thus came the AL II version. But that doesn't mean the one you have will not work.
My K100DS was my only DSLR body for about 4 years, and I acquired recently a K20D. I though the K100DS was going on vacations, but I like it so much I'm using both. the K100DS now has an A 50 f1.7 most of the time and it is also my studio camera.
Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it! Learn as much as you can but always remember the most important part is having fun! Also, this forum will help you get the most out of it.

Thanks!
04-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
You may not realize it, but you are sitting on some diamonds there. The K100D is an excellent camera and it can produce images that will rival anything else out there. The 6MP CCD sensor is a true gem. The 18-55 suffers from discrimination because of its "kit lens" label, but it is actually very good.
However, when the K20 came out, the lens was optimized for it and thus came the AL II version. But that doesn't mean the one you have will not work.
My K100DS was my only DSLR body for about 4 years, and I acquired recently a K20D. I though the K100DS was going on vacations, but I like it so much I'm using both. the K100DS now has an A 50 f1.7 most of the time and it is also my studio camera.
Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it! Learn as much as you can but always remember the most important part is having fun! Also, this forum will help you get the most out of it.

Thanks!
You words make me want to keep my K100D. Maybe I shouldn't sell it in the marketplace.
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also have a K100D. It's a great camera. And that 18-55 lens you have - also quite good. It's one of my most-used lenses, along with my Pentax M-50mm f:1.4 & Tamron SP 60-300mm

Cheers & have fun with your toys,
Bobbo :-)

04-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
You words make me want to keep my K100D. Maybe I shouldn't sell it in the marketplace.

If you do not need the money, I would keep it as a back up if nothing else.
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you do not need the money, I would keep it as a back up if nothing else.
Actually it is a good idea. If I have to walk in some unsafe area, I just need to take the K100D instead.
04-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote

Thanks!
I have to echo ismaelg post. I upgraded from the K100 to a K20, 2 years ago, keeping my K100 too. I use the kit lenses all the time on my K20 and they are just fine - and the 18-55 is ver I. So, do not worry about it and just go out and shoot.

I really do like the dual wheels on the K20, along with all the upgraded features, however the K100 still does a wonderful job.

04-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #8

Great to have 2 cameras - stops you having to change lenses all the time!

Look at DxO software - it works with the GX20 and the kit lens and the difference it makes to the sharpness of the lens is amazing - once you use this software you'll realize that the kit lens isn't that good after all but with the software, it is a whole lot better.

04-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers mate - I'll check it out
04-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So popped around to Ado's place this evening so he could show me some things on the new camera and lend me a lens for a trip tomorrow.
Ado also had a spare grip for me while i wait for mine that i've ordered from fleabay.
Bugger. It would seem the identical-ness of the K20d and the GX20 isn't quite spot on. And one difference is the base, so a K20d grip doesnt it.
*sigh*
At least the one i have coming is just a cheapie, and it shouldn't anything I can't fixed with a dremel tool.