Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With WR, after shooting, going inside?

After you shoot in the rain or snow, what do you do when transitioning to a warmer and less humid environment? Do you wipe down your stuff and go in? Put it in a dedicated wet bag to allow a slow transition? Am I being paranoid about moisture, condensation, etc?

04-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not have a WR camera but I'm pretty sure the WR is suppose to help protect against any moisture getting in at all. The only thing I would worry about it transitioning from cold to warm weather which can create condensation. In that case I would wipe it down and put it in a container with rice or some moisture removal substance.
04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do anything unless it gets wet. Then I just wipe it down so it doesn't have water laying on it. These cameras are a little tougher than we sometimes give them credit for.

04-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take the camera in, wipe it down and wait for it to warm up before opening anything or changing lenses.
Where we live, the cold to warm transition is not that drastic anyway.
Well, maybe in august, when going from air conditioned house to outside.

04-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I just wipe the loose moisture off and stow it. I have a much larger problem with temperature changes and condensation. Rain and ice are pretty much non-issues, it's the temperature that gives me headaches.
04-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't do anything unless it gets wet. Then I just wipe it down so it doesn't have water laying on it. These cameras are a little tougher than we sometimes give them credit for.

I've been embroiled in a thread on WR.

There doesn't seem to be much consensus on how much they can take. I saw a picture here of a K20D on a tripod in the rain. Then I had one woman tell me she was at the beach when a small wave splashed on her K20D. It was fried.

However, I had mine out in the rain today and just stuck it under my jacket until it let up.

However, it's being in single digit weather which I've not been able make any solid decisions on what I will do on a regular basis. So any input & lessons learned will be great.
04-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I won't tell anybody what they should or shouldn't do. I actually have never bought anything Because it is sealed, wr, ect. That just happens to be one of the features. I prefer not to get it wet, I won't be running my camera under any faucets anytime soon either. However, I know that if I cannot beat the rain, everything should be ok. In winter weather, I can be seen taking my camera (turned on) from the house to the car. From the car to the house. From the car cabin to the car trunk (where it is most certainly below freezing). Back to heated space. Sometimes I let it sit, sometimes I turn it on and use it. I have yet to have a problem. Least not one that I would trace to temperature change (which is not instant).

This is my take on some of the anecdotal evidence we read on the internet. The one who got splashed and the camera got fried, has left out or forgotten some small detail (like the lens wasn't really WR or something like that).

04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I won't tell anybody what they should or shouldn't do. I actually have never bought anything Because it is sealed, wr, ect. That just happens to be one of the features. I prefer not to get it wet, I won't be running my camera under any faucets anytime soon either. However, I know that if I cannot beat the rain, everything should be ok. In winter weather, I can be seen taking my camera (turned on) from the house to the car. From the car to the house. From the car cabin to the car trunk (where it is most certainly below freezing). Back to heated space. Sometimes I let it sit, sometimes I turn it on and use it. I have yet to have a problem. Least not one that I would trace to temperature change (which is not instant).

This is my take on some of the anecdotal evidence we read on the internet. The one who got splashed and the camera got fried, has left out or forgotten some small detail (like the lens wasn't really WR or something like that).

Ya, I'm not sure of all the details myself.

So far, the biggest problem I've had is some heavy condensation on the view finder & on the live view screen. I had a water bubble on it that took some time to remove. I used low setting on a hair dryer and worked it to the side, but it kept coming back for weeks.

I also keep a plastic & small cloth bag in my pack. Weighs less then an oz & comes in handy.
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #9

The WR lenses are susceptible to condensation on the internal elements when going indoors from a long spell in winter weather well below freezing. Happened to me once with the kit lens. Completely fogged up inside.

You can seal up the whole camera or just the lens inside an airtight freezer bag before bringing it indoors, and leave in there until it warms up above condensation temps somewhere above freezing. Or just leave it zipped up inside the camera bag till it warms up: takes a lot longer.

Take the SD card out first if you want to get at the pictures in a hurry.
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #10

last winter I did some ski tours (I like going up the mountains just by myself and noone around), carrying my K7 with the DA* 16-50 in my backpack. The first time my rookie mistake was putting it in my backpack "as it was". Of course, when you go up for several hours you sweat a lot so the air in the backpack was very moist ... even inside the lens and probably the camera. So on top I was not able to take pictures; I went inside a hut and let it dry. However, now I am just using plastic bags for my gear, simply works.
04-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

When coming from snowy freezing environment into the warm house, I put a blanket on the camera bag, next morning opened the bag a camera is still feeling kinda cold to me. Everything looks fine. More chances to get condensation in the camera when entering a cold environment I keep the camera stay in the slightly open camera bag in the car to let the camera cool off slowly with the environments temperature.
04-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't worry about rain, condensation so much. I just wipe that off when I get inside. On the other hand, if I have been shooting in freezing conditions for awhile, I leave the lens in place and let the camera warm up gradually. The K7 always takes longer to warm up than the K20. I guess its that Magnesium alloy body.
04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I've been embroiled in a thread on WR.

There doesn't seem to be much consensus on how much they can take. I saw a picture here of a K20D on a tripod in the rain. Then I had one woman tell me she was at the beach when a small wave splashed on her K20D. It was fried.

However, I had mine out in the rain today and just stuck it under my jacket until it let up.

However, it's being in single digit weather which I've not been able make any solid decisions on what I will do on a regular basis. So any input & lessons learned will be great.
I would think that if you are using a DA* or WR lens, and not going swimming with it, you would be fine. I have had my K5 with Kit lens in rain, snow, beach and boating with no ill effects. I also have the three year warranty, and with posts like this from Pentax itself,
QuoteQuote:
"Check out this tip from National Geographic on taking photos in the rain. Of course if you have the Optio W series camera, K-5, K-7, K20D, K10D, etc paired with a WR or DA* lens, you don't need to take cover for the sake of your camera! "
I am optimistic they will honor the warranty should rain or similar non-extreme moisture events happen.
04-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My usual practice in general when I was living in a cold place would be just to tuck cameras into the bag for a bit of a buffer as things warmed up: it really wouldn't typically take very long.

As for WR in general, I usually just consider it something that makes it safe to treat a digital camera, moisturewise, like I would one of my better old film cameras. I don't happen to have any WR lenses and I never did, but it's sure a whole lot fewer holes to worry about.

I'd suspect, btw, Rondec, that the metal body actually just gets *colder* somewhat faster, and will feel colder all other things being equal, cause it'll be conducting more heat away from your hand, like any metal will tend to.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.
04-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What Pentax Says

I got out my K20D manual. On pg 3 & 4, it pretty much sums up what the limits are with the camera. What the temperature limits are & so on.

With the weather sealing, it's easy to get a false sense of protection.

The older the camera, the seals start to cease being sealed. It was an "O" ring on the USA Shuttle which after it froze, lost it's ability to seal. And most of us know the results of that.