Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Anyone have experiece with the Ape Case ACPRO1700?

Amazon.com: Ape Case Sling Camera Bag ACPRO1700: Camera & Photo

Need a bag and leaning towards this one.

04-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Original Poster
I guess nope. LOL.
04-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
it may be too late but I have this bag among others. I've used it a few times, which admittedly isn't a lot, but I have made some opinions on some things. First of all though, a frame of reference: I've been using the Lowepro Slingshot AW200 for several years now and have been quite happy with it. I decided to try out the Ape Case because it was bigger and had a place to mount a tripod to it.

The sling itself is padded more than the Slingshot, but I don't think it fits as well. It just seems as though there's not as much snugness in how the bag rests against my back. I keep feeling as though the Ape Case is loose. I may get used to it as I use it more, but I'd say it's not awful, but not as good as the lowepro.

As far as access to the camera and the lenses, I'd give a pretty big advantage to the lowepro. The way the camera goes into the Ape Case I find that the grip on the right side of the camera hits the right lens compartment, so I've found that the camera fits better upside down - of course this affects the speed from getting the camera out and in use. And then access using the side opening seems easier on the lowepro just because it's bigger and opens wider.

I do think I can carry more in the Ape - probably an extra medium size prime and a flash. But I wonder if the Slingshot 300 might have been a better choice. Overall, I like the Ape Case, but I'm not sure it's designed as well as the lowepro.
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, it is too late, but thanks. Ended up picking it up. Received it today. I don't mind it to much. Seems to fit fine. Kinda wishing I picked up a backpack instead, but I just need time to get used to it. I like the sling feature to get at the camera.

06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am wondering what your thoughts are now that you have had it about a month? I've got a Vanguard 43 but don't like it much as it has nearly no fully enclosed small pockets, the center back large pocket has a middle zipper that makes it functionally worthless, and its hard to get to the bottom two lenses because the main compartment opening does not open fully. I am considering the Ape 1700 and hoped to get your thoughts on it after a month's ownership. Thanks.
06-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Greetings!
The Ape bag looks nice, but I have no experience with it. I do have a Case Logic Medium DSLR bag 202, and so far it is very nice, albeit not a "system" bag, rather, a travel bag. And with the Pentax system, that means you can get at least 4 or 5 lenses (if some are the pancake "Limited" variety), and a K-5 with several accessories. Perfect for traveling light. Seems well made, and it has an awesome, light waterproof neoprene footprint that gives protection to the bottom of the bag as well.
Addendum: I recently acquired an ACPRO1200. It seems well-made, and holds a K-5, DA*55, DA16-45, DA50-200, and DA70 quite easily, with room to spare. The yellow interior is a good idea, as it makes items more visible in low light. Plenty of zippered pockets for storage of small items. The tripod loops are handy for a small travel tripod, and the rubber feet are nice, although could possibly use one more row of rubber in the middle to give even more bottom protection. Overall, a great and inexpensive bag!

Last edited by stevelink; 08-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
11-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Greetings! For traveling where hiking and/or biking are possibilities, I found that the Tamrac Evolution Series (I have the "6".), is perfect for the Pentax K-5 and several lenses, plus other small accessories. It also converts to a backpack configuration, and has a rain cover, plus a handy tripod pocket/strap. An excellent and versatile bag!
11-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
This thread is pretty old. Not really a need to bump it. But I ended up buying it. I'm not a big fan of the sling. Do not find it comfortable at all. Been thinking about switching to a backpack.