Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New toy!

My husband just loves to bargain, and he bargained away my DL! A friend with some nice old Pentax glass wanted a DSLR but didn't have the budget for a new camera, so they cooked up a plan whereby I would sell him my DL and put the proceeds towards a K100D. Then they asked if this was okay with me! Luckily it was - I've been curious about SR since the camera came out.

Yesterday evening I stopped by the local camera store and picked up the K100D and 18-55 kit lens. Here are the DL and K100D side by side:

I kinda prefer the chrome on the DL (I know, trivial!), and I think the K100 grip is going to take some getting used to, but hey, a new toy is a new toy! Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, maybe this evening. I spent all last evening cleaning and re-packing the DL. I decided on the K100 rather than K10 because I'm perfectly happy with 6MP and don't need the extra features on the K10. So, I haven't so much upgraded as taken a step to one side, but it's going to be fun playing with SR.

Julie

12-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
My husband just loves to bargain, and he bargained away my DL! A friend with some nice old Pentax glass wanted a DSLR but didn't have the budget for a new camera, so they cooked up a plan whereby I would sell him my DL and put the proceeds towards a K100D. Then they asked if this was okay with me! Luckily it was - I've been curious about SR since the camera came out.

Yesterday evening I stopped by the local camera store and picked up the K100D and 18-55 kit lens. Here are the DL and K100D side by side:

I kinda prefer the chrome on the DL (I know, trivial!), and I think the K100 grip is going to take some getting used to, but hey, a new toy is a new toy! Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, maybe this evening. I spent all last evening cleaning and re-packing the DL. I decided on the K100 rather than K10 because I'm perfectly happy with 6MP and don't need the extra features on the K10. So, I haven't so much upgraded as taken a step to one side, but it's going to be fun playing with SR.

Julie

congradulations, Julie!

I am sure you are not only going to like the SR, but the grip as well in due time

let us know how you make out,

cheers from ontario!

randy
12-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done! You got the best of the deal.

However, unlike Randy, I wasn't able to adjust to the grip as easily as he had. I came from using a DS for two years. They have the same grip as the DL, don't they? The K100D grip, at the extreme front, has a 'sharp' edge that does not mold to my fingers like the DS grip does. The K100D grip does give a little more 'grip' with the two small fingers, but it isn't as comfortable. Maybe this is because I use a Hakuba LH handgrip, (I 'hate' neck straps).

On getting used to your K100D . . . it will be very simple and quick. It took me about five minutes to re-set all the menu options to what I liked, and was away and shooting. The controls and firmware are very, very identical. Not so with the K10D. Getting used to the K10D is going to take several weeks, if not months. No problem with the K100D. You will like the Shake Reduction. My spoilage has gone way, way down.

p.s. I kinda relate to what you said about the silver body. Earlier in the year, or was it last year, I purchased the FA77/1.8 in black. Held off for quite awhile because only the silver version was available in the states. When black became available, went ahead and got one.

Now, the black version is really nice. It is a work of art. But, this past weekend, I was at a photo shop and they had a silver version on demo display. Boy, that silver 77 sure looked classy. I kinda wish I had gotten the silver version instead of the black version. Black will always be around, not so much silver ones.
12-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
The K100D grip does give a little more 'grip' with the two small fingers, but it isn't as comfortable. Maybe this is because I use a Hakuba LH handgrip, (I 'hate' neck straps).
I hate neck straps too - tell me more about the handgrip. Clumsy person plus untethered camera isn't a good combo, but I find neck straps incredibly annoying. Usually wrap it around my wrist, which isn't much better.

Is it just me, or is the rubber on the grip, well, grippier?

QuoteQuote:
It took me about five minutes to re-set all the menu options to what I liked, and was away and shooting. The controls and firmware are very, very identical.
So I've discovered - I took the five minutes and re-set all the options, and started playing. It's all pretty familiar! Haven't really explored SR much yet, I took a few shots of xmas lights around the neighbourhood but I couldn't tell how well it worked on the LCD. No time to play on the computer, darn it!

QuoteQuote:
I kinda relate to what you said about the silver body.
Thanks for not laughing at me! I think I'll get used to it soon enough, it's probably mostly nostalgia for the classic old K1000. Which I still have.

Julie