Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sandisk warranty experience

Wanted to share my experience of Sandisk 'life time warranty' claim.

One of my 8GB Sandisk Extreme III card failed to read, write, or even format. It happen after it was use in my Canon A590 p&S (after my friend use it, I have no idea what he did to make the card unusable). I fill out the warranty claim and to be honest, the automated generate replies are really annoying. It basically sent you all the links to diagnose the problem, which I already did. I reply saying all the steps I took to verify it is not usable anymore. Someone reply with more steps and same instructions, very annoying and make you think if they even read the email you wrote.

Anyway, after some time they send me a email asking me to fill out a survey for my 'warranty claim' experience with Sandisk. I did that survey and tell them how annoying with their automated and 'human' replies for warranty claim. Couple days later someone call me and I tell him the whole experience again. The person immediately sent a return envelop to have me ship the SDHC back, couple days later I receive a new replacement 8GB Extreme III card from Sandisk.

Although the overall process is a bit tedious, I am glad Sandisk stand by its 'life time warranty' claim, which my Sandisk having problem after 2 yrs of usage (I bought 8 Extreme III cards). I am about to look into other brand but after receiving my replacement card, I will continue to buy Sandisk in the future!

Even though it can be expensive, but if it is 'life time warranty', I think it is worth it! I am looking to get one of those 45mb/sec card!

Lee

04-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Good to know. The 30Mb/sec class 10 I bought cost a lot of money. It would suck to have it die with no recourse.

04-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CoreData also has good warranty replacement

Not wishing to hijack your thread but I had a good experience with replacing a 'Coredata' memory card last year.

They are a not too well known brand (at least by me!) and one of my 4gb ones failed AFTER I'd downloaded my latest images. I'd had it for several years and it had a lifetime warranty.

It got sent back after filling out the forms & sending a photo of the front & back of the card and within about 2 weeks it had been replaced. Quite good service. It did get delayed because the person handling the claim was on vacation for a week but they did apologize for that.

It wasn't a real problem for me because I have 4 cards for various sizes to use between my Pentax & Nikon & I rotate them after downloading the images after several sessions.

For any Canadians reading this, Coredata has a Canadian branch which I dealt with.

Michael
04-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

Even though it can be expensive, but if it is 'life time warranty', I think it is worth it! I am looking to get one of those 45mb/sec card!
Not worth it to me after applying Moore's Law.

"Lifetime" in digital-tech timespan, ROFL! Don't forget to store them away with all those "still good" 32MB cards, 4MB DIMMs, 500MB HDs, ...

.R.

04-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Not worth it to me after applying Moore's Law.

"Lifetime" in digital-tech timespan, ROFL! Don't forget to store them away with all those "still good" 32MB cards, 4MB DIMMs, 500MB HDs, ...

.R.
Good point!
But I can't imagine we will have to handle a 100MB per pic in the future... Now, a 8GB card is pretty good storage size (too big you will lose too many pictures if card fail) & price point. Well... for sure that >100MB per pic day will come and 32GB will become the standard size. And 8GB card will be use for ..... in the drawer.

Lee
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Not wishing to be negative -
but this just goes to show that even highly reputable, oft recommended and expensive SD/HC cards can fail -
SanDisk Extreme are not immune to failures.

As to lifetime warranty there are other makers that also claim that -
Wintec, Transcend, A-Data, and Kingston
(? last 2 seems to vary with size? check individual card before any purchase) -
to name a few that have SDHC class 10 cards.
04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Not wishing to be negative -
but this just goes to show that even highly reputable, oft recommended and expensive SD/HC cards can fail -
SanDisk Extreme are not immune to failures....
To be fair, the card is use by my colleague -- I am really not sure what he did. He really know nothing abt camera stuff (he didn't even ask me when he use my canon A590IS that sit on my desk).

In my own hand, I haven't have a Sandisk fail on me (finger crossed! )

But I do agree with you!

Lee