Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

difference between the automatic picture modes

Hello,

I recently purchased an old Pentax *ist DL and I pretty much love it (I'm a bloody beginner, and this seems to be like a very affordable bloody beginner camera).

But what I couldn't really figure out on my own yet, is: what is the difference between the various, iconified automatic picture modes like portrait, landscape and so on? I suppose that, for example, the camera tries to use a faster shutter speed while in sports mode, focus differently etc. but what does it do exactly?

What does "Normal Scene Mode" (the happy face) do, compared to the other automatic modes? Or, what doesn't it do?

And, most of all: what is the difference between those iconified automatic modes and P? Especially, what is the difference between "Normal Scene Mode" and P? (AUTO PICT is clear to me, because it just chooses the iconified mode the camera things would be the best. Interesting, that it sometimes picks "Normal Scene Mode".)

I understand what P does, but I don't really understand or fully know what the iconified picture modes do differently than P, and I especially don't understand what "Normal Scene Modes" does differently than P.

I also noticed that the flash won't automatically popup in P, but I can force the same behaviour for the other modes.

Thanks for clearing up that mistery to me 8)

10-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Users GUide

I don't have an *ist DL, but if you haven't already done so, visit Pentax Imaging - Home and download the user's guide for your camera. I'm sure it will explain at least the basics of your question.

Paul Noble
K10D owner
10-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No. No it doesn't. Not in the least. That's the first thing I've done.

But thanks for the reply.
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anyfoo Quote
No. No it doesn't. Not in the least. That's the first thing I've done.
Yeah, I hate all such modes for exactly this reason. Would it really, really kill the manufacturers to actually list in the manual exactly what each mode does?

10-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It's easy enough to test them. Just park you camera on a tripod or picnic table, and shoot the same close, medium, and distant subjects in each mode. Compare exif and images.

With the K100D, all picture modes shoot in "bright" mode, which causes some colors to glow...
10-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

good Idea

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's easy enough to test them. Just park you camera on a tripod or picnic table, and shoot the same close, medium, and distant subjects in each mode. Compare exif and images.

With the K100D, all picture modes shoot in "bright" mode, which causes some colors to glow...
That is actually what I plan on doing this weekend.. plopping a spot and playing with settings.... The good part is when I download my pics.. the EXIF information is attached so I dont have to worry about writing it down!!!!