Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Saving Settings

Hello all, this is my first post. I have done a great deal of research on DSLR's and it seems that the K10D stands out as a remarkable photographic tool at a very reasonable price. My only concern is that many reviewers have commented on the K10D's soft or flat jpeg's from the default settings. I realize that by shooting RAW, none of the these concerns are applicable. However, while I look forward to learning to work with RAW, at this point I have no experience with CS3 or Camera Raw. Consequently, until I become proficient and my budget grows, I really need a camera that shoots outstanding JPEGs. My first question is whether most of you are happy with your JPEG results after adjusting the in camera settings such as changing from nature to bright or increasing sharpness and contrast levels. I guess I also need to ask whether you feel the comments by dpreview, camaralabs and others are accurate. Finally, I would like to know whether the camera saves your settings from the last use, such that once you have the camera dialed in to your tastes they essentially become the default settings. I greatly appreciate any hearing your thoughts.
Charlie

10-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There are numerous posts on this issue that can be read by doing a search of this site.
I shoot in both modes depending on the subject and have no problem getting the quality shot I want with JPEG using the K10D. Most folks who take the time to understand the camera and it's functions will have no problem getting the sharpness and saturation they want with this camera shooting in any mode it offers.
Kenn
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I don't want camera decide what to do (White balance, sharpness, contrast, saturation, noise reduction levels) my photos, so I shoot DNG only and I decide what to do and how much.

If you should take JPEG for a while, you can see JPEG photos taken in Africa as a good example of JPEG photographer.
Pentax K10D Digital Camera Reviews
10-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Shot RAW, Period.

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
However, while I look forward to learning to work with RAW, at this point I have no experience with CS3 or Camera Raw.
Pentax RAW processing software comes with the camera. One example of a software program that just lets you open the RAW directly is CinePaint. Don't be intimidated by RAW and suffer by using a subpar image format like jpeg. Buying a hi-end DSLR and using a format that only allows for 8-bit colour (jpeg) is a colossal waste of the equipment. Also, don't be fooled by proprietary software vendors that represent you have to pay money for software to process RAW. Everything you need is easy to use, and free.

10-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I did alot of searching and I see that the RAW vs. JPEG thing has been beat to death, as has the issue of the default settings of the camera. What I couldn't find any information on is what happens when you turn the camera on, does it revert back to the default settings or does the camera pick up where you left off. Thanks for any help on this. Charlie
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the camera does save settings when you shut down and restart. there is also a USER mode that allows you to save specific settings including white balance, contrast sharpness saturation and ISO completely independant on the other settings in the other modes.

This allows you to visit a location you plan to shoot at, set up as you want, save them, and then go back days later and just start shooting with the presaved setup.

Note, with respect to contrast, at maximum contrast, the K10 is linear for 4 stops (2 over and 2 under) around your exposure, with compression over another 1-1.5 stops each side of nominal for a total range of 6-7 stops in the picture. at minimum contrast, there are 6 stops linear (3 over nad 3 under) around the exposure with compression over another 1.5-2 stops non linear each side for a total of 9-10 stops in the picture.

In effect, you have an exposure lattityude of 6 stops in maximum contrast and 9 stops in minimum contrast
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lowell, thanks for the info. I like the idea of user modes, wich my car had that. On another note, I noticed some posts on the lack of TTL flash metering which I am not sure I understood. Is that just with respect to older lenses? Thanks, Charlie
10-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On another note, I noticed some posts on the lack of TTL flash metering which I am not sure I understood. Is that just with respect to older lenses? Thanks, Charlie
Up to the *istD and I think DS, the flash was metered from the reflected light off the sensor,, like TTL metering on a film camera where the flash was metered from the reflected light off the film.

The K10D uses P-TTL (best I can estimate is Preflash - TTL) What this does, is make a very low power flash before the mirror flips up, off the focusing screen, and then calculates the necessary flash required for the F Stop you have set on the lens.

The problem is that unless you have KA or later lenses, you cant use P-TTL flash because the camera does not know the maximum apature of the lens.

If all yoour lenses are new ones no problem, but if you have some older K mounts, or screw mount lenses with adaptor, you are a little limited.

FOr these lenses I have kept my *istD,

10-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ok, I did alot of searching and I see that the RAW vs. JPEG thing has been beat to death, as has the issue of the default settings of the camera. What I couldn't find any information on is what happens when you turn the camera on, does it revert back to the default settings or does the camera pick up where you left off. Thanks for any help on this. Charlie
I have all of my dslr's set at zero or normal or neutral, what ever the particular manufacturer calls it.

My Pentax cameras are all set at 0 for sharpness, contrast, tone etc. I shoot jepg quite a bit and i have had no problems with soft out of camera jpegs, unless i blew the shot.LOL

Now the istD i did have some problems with them, but the K10D, no. I sharpen my photos as i would with my D1H, around 100,0.3,0. My istD i had to use around 200 or more.

Dave