Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

mysterious undocumented stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
But yes, the SCN modes do this and more, where "more" is defined as "mysterious undocumented stuff that probably is a good idea for the selected type of scene, but you'll never actually know what effects were applied and how".
Oh I agree, I have taken test shots and spent ages comparing EXIF to try and work out what some of them do. I have come to the conclusion that you either use them or you don't, but whatever you do you don't quite know what they do

This drives me nuts because, beyond just being useless to the experienced photographer, they're also useless as learning tools for the novice. It's like invisible training wheels which never come off.
I fully agree.

11-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
I too am having fun.. but it is a scary step to put that switch on M mode.... Makes me nervouse just thinkin about it!!!!
LOL don't worry, it is not scary at all. When you've had a play with Av, and then had a play with spot metering, exposure compensation and using the histogram, at that point you'll effectively be doing everything that you would do in M anyway.

I had to use M because my current favourite lens, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5, is an M42 screw mount lens, so I have to use the body in M mode. <sigh> I bought my CZJ second-hand twenty years ago and loved it then. Then I got a Canon AF and my CZJ went into storage. Now I am using Pentax, I have returned back to my CZJ, and what a pleasure that was.

Richard
11-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
Oh I agree, I have taken test shots and spent ages comparing EXIF to try and work out what some of them do. I have come to the conclusion that you either use them or you don't, but whatever you do you don't quite know what they do
And why not put this info in the manual? The manufacturers (or at least some of their programmers!) certainly know precisely what each does.

They may make the argument that keeping the details secret provides a competitive advantage, but I'd never once seen a review which says anything remotely like "This camera's Beach mode is way better/worse than that of competitor camera b!"
11-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

And why not put this info in the manual? The manufacturers (or at least some of their programmers!) certainly know precisely what each does.

They may make the argument that keeping the details secret provides a competitive advantage, but I'd never once seen a review which says anything remotely like "This camera's Beach mode is way better/worse than that of competitor camera b!"
I agree. There's some guys in the dpreview forum who are trying to reverse engineer the K10D at the moment:

Pentax K10D Firmware Fun - Scratchpad Wiki Labs - Free wikis from Wikia

At some point I will use their findings to see if I can reverse engineer the K100D and get an idea of what is really going on.

There is, of course, another issue. When the new cameras are released next year it will mean that Pentax will no longer have any incentive to update the firmware for the K100D. So I guess the current version, 1.02, will be the last. It would be nice if they could make the firmware open source, or even licence it to someone else to keep it updated. However, I doubt if such a thuing could ever happen.

Richard