Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, she just found that out, that's why she's looking at coming back: There's switching around willy nilly out of a 'grass is always greener' notion, (Or cause someone gives you some other gear) and there's knowing what you're about and making the informed choice about what you actually want. Heather knows what she's about, here, it seems to me.

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Pentax in Lightroom was far better than Nikon in Lightroom, and I think I could be happy with Lightroom for Pentax 95% of the time and use Pentax software for the other, but Nikon it was 95% the other way. Not sure how much you'll see with Canon's software, if it's the difference I got with Nikon, you'll want to consider adding a step.
So it's not just me...whew!

Currently, I'm at a nature photography workshop and I've been discussing this with some of the instructors and other students and the general consensus is that I should stick with Canon--perhaps sending in my 5D and/or 24-105/4 to Canon to have them take a look at it and see if there's anything wrong with one or the other. Honestly, as for the body size--the 5D is rather heavy and is almost too big for my hands. Also, I find the Pentax a lot more intuitive to use than the Canons; with the Canons, they are more menu dependent and a bit of a pain to use. I'm not sure that it's the gear, as LR handled the 40D's images in similar fashion.

In the course of the discussions I've had over the weekend, at least a couple of people have pointed out that Nikons are easier to use and perhaps I should give some thought to Nikon, mainly because of the greater user base. Unless I get a hold of someone's Nikon to play with, Nikon is an unknown to me as far as dealing with image files. Having used Pentax before with LR and being happy with it, it is a known. With the improvements in the bodies since I've been on the dark side, I don't see why I wouldn't once again be happy with Pentax.

Heather

04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Canon is in it's own world with user interface. You either love it, get used to it, and stick with them, or you hate it. I've never liked it. You're right, it's very menu based.

Pentax has the ability to write files in DNG. This is kind of an industry standard. The issue with Nikon and Adobe jiving together, is Nikon uses a proprietary format (NEF). Due to them not sharing the coding for it, some image information can be clipped out during import. Typically, this is only evident on very odd lighting; however, some are more sensitive to it than others. What many people do, is use ViewNX to import, export as TIFF, and then work with those in Lightroom. I find that using non-default camera profiles in Lightroom eliminate this need in most photos.

I'm not knowledgable on all of Canon's operations; however, I think they use DNG format. Start by trying different camera profiles in the Develop tab in LR (all the way at the bottom).
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Each system has its on merits, keep 'em both for different jobs.
04-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go K-X or K-5, according to snapsort.com but that site is stupid people say :P

04-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Thank you for the vote of confidence!

In the course of the discussions I've had over the weekend, at least a couple of people have pointed out that Nikons are easier to use and perhaps I should give some thought to Nikon, mainly because of the greater user base. Unless I get a hold of someone's Nikon to play with, Nikon is an unknown to me as far as dealing with image files. Having used Pentax before with LR and being happy with it, it is a known. With the improvements in the bodies since I've been on the dark side, I don't see why I wouldn't once again be happy with Pentax.

Heather
Heather, I could supply you with an NEF (Nikon raw) to work with. Just download ViewNX which is free to work with it. Compare that with dumping them in Lightroom. PM me if you want one.

As far as Nikon bodies, I have the D5000 but would not go that route again, it was a choice I made prior to understanding the little things, like lack of in body focus motors which means a lot of good cheap glass is manual focus only. The AF-S lenses are the only ones that auto focus on the low end bodies.

Today if you are going crop, I'd get a D7000 or a D90 for cheap. If full frame, D700. In your case if it was me and I switched, I think I'd go back to Pentax, but I'm not sure I'd switch. The 5D is an excellent landscape camera. Full frame offers a really narrow DOF which can be quite nice and the numbers on your lenses are actually correct
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, she just found that out, that's why she's looking at coming back: There's switching around willy nilly out of a 'grass is always greener' notion, (Or cause someone gives you some other gear) and there's knowing what you're about and making the informed choice about what you actually want. Heather knows what she's about, here, it seems to me.
I agree with Ratmagiclady! Welcome back, Heather. And don't let anyone make you doubt your decision to come back to Pentax! That said, I confess that I'm completely new to photography. I inherited my husbands old *ist DL and he just bought me a beautiful red K-x from a forum member. I couldn't be any happier with the results! My husband (soon to be retired) has been shooting Pentax since he was a kid and has always been happy with the results, film or digital.

As far as those suggesting some other brand of camera on this AND other threads... all I can say is ... This is Pentax forum, so I'm wondering if these ideas come from "spies from the Dark Side"??? hee hee hee!!!!

Last edited by Frostie; 04-17-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: wasn't finished typing; too quick to click on post reply
04-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
I've had friends that were both Canon and Nikon shooters. The advice I always give to anyone choosing a system is to "go with what you are most comfortable with".
If you can find a shop that has the cameras that you are interested in, go and have a play and see what suits you best. The more you can concentrate on your subject and the less you have to concentrate on the mechanics or weight of the camera the better.
As others have said on the forum before, a good photog can take a good pic with a mediocre camera. Any decent Pentax, Canon, or Nikon will work well for anyone who can take a decent pic, but you'll do your best work with what works best "with you". PP is also a consideration if one system has a set up that doesn't work well for you.
A camera is just another tool and a name is just a brand label. Imagine each camera with the names covered up. Which tool works best for you when you forget about the brand name and only think about the mechanics?

04-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frostie Quote
I agree with Ratmagiclady! Welcome back, Heather. And don't let anyone make you doubt your decision to come back to Pentax! That said, I confess that I'm completely new to photography. I inherited my husbands old *ist DL and he just bought me a beautiful red K-x from a forum member. I couldn't be any happier with the results! My husband (soon to be retired) has been shooting Pentax since he was a kid and has always been happy with the results, film or digital.

As far as those suggesting some other brand of camera on this AND other threads... all I can say is ... This is Pentax forum, so I'm wondering if these ideas come from "spies from the Dark Side"??? hee hee hee!!!!

Well, eh, sometimes I do wonder if there are shills around, but mostly folks are just trying to help, I think. I mean, we're mostly all here cause we made some choices, not to mention like to solve problems. If I'm biased toward Pentax it's cause I recently decided they're the brand that most agrees with *me,* after all. If they took a hard turn for the what-I-don't-like, I might put up with less on the points where other brands are a bit stronger, but it's all about 'The Right Stuff. In My Hands.'

As a long-time Canon FD loyalist who tends to get set in her ways, I figure if you know where you want to be, that's that. If I'd had more money, I probably would have considered Nikon a safer choice, and there's things to like there, too, but the fact is, I didn't, various preferences aside, this was the most serious kit I could lay hands to for *anything* like what was attainable at the time, so here I am.

Specs don't get you better photos, to anywhere the degree that *liking your stuff and interfacing well* does.
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you are considering moving back to Pentax Heather. I just upgraded from my K10D to the K5 and I just love it. I'm keeping the k10d as my backup system and at times I'm using both, depending on the circumstances. The K5 is so much smaller than the Canon 5D that you will find it a real pleasure to use especially for landscape photography. Pentax gear is so much lighter than Canon.
04-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

While I'd also be happy to welcome you back to the womb, I'm sure you'll remember that if you want longer lenses for your nature photography regrettably you won't get much from Pentax. Currently, 300mm is as long as they make and the Bigma probably won't excite you much either. That's where Canon and Nikon have an advantage. But if 300mm is enough for you, well, you've had a truckload of positive encouragement to turn your face once more to the Light. Just think, then, the trade-in you'd get for your Canon setup should buy you a nice new K5 and, let's see now...
04-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back, Heather. I guess I would echo what the others have said. The biggest thing is finding gear that you feel comfortable with, that you don't feel like you are fighting to get the shot you want.

I think you'll take good photos with whatever equipment you decide to choose, it is just that some cameras will feel almost second nature to use while others will be much harder.

With regard to RAW files, I think Nikon does best if you use their proprietary software (which they sell for a price), Adobe uses some kind of reverse engineering to open NEF files and it works OK. I have always appreciated the fact that Pentax offers the ability to shoot DNG files.
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Welcome back Heather

looking forward to hearing your new experience back with Pentax.

PS... tell dad its easy to join this forum as well.

cheers

Neil
04-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I personally could never get to grips with Canon files - I could never get the look I was looking for. The 7D was the best but I found it too much of a beast.

But I have seen enough amazing pics from the dslr's you use that they are MORE than capable in the image dept.

I did move away from Pentax to Nikon, not because I disliked Pentax (they have basically become non existent in SA).

I do find the D7000 an amazing image maker in ANY situation, making me forget totally about my K10D which I gave to my 23 yr old son.

The sensor in the K5 is the same (although DXO says its marginally better) and imho is amazing - so you should try your utmost to buy latest tech.
04-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Heather. I remember you as someone who was never happy for long. You would buy a lens and praise it, then it was gone in favour of some other. Since then you've changed brands, then from APS-C to full frame. I don't think your history tells as much about the gear as it does about your personality.

I much prefer the look of Pentax images compared to Canon or Nikon. It's analogous to using different films. Most people don't see this or don't care, but it's huge for me, so I can understand wanting to come back to Pentax. If you do come back for the Pentax look, get it right with the Pentax 17-70, forget the Sigma.
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heather,

You can rent a K-5 from cameralensrentals.com for not all that much money.

I suspect you can rent a Nikon body of your choice from any good camera store.

Try out some bodies for a week at a teim, and see where your gut tells you to go.

I now have the K-5 and am still enthralled with it. I enjoyed but was never enthralled with the K-10 and K-20.

Good luck.