Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here it is a year later and I'm still considering switching back.I saw the 7D/K5 comparison and I'm very impressed. I think I'd rather have features I can use over FF. Dad still thinks it's a good idea. He's already given me ideas on what order to sell my Canon gear.

As for the constant buying and selling I did before, I've gotten enough experience under my belt that I know what I want and I'm likely to stick to it for the long-term.

I'm already looking forward to the switch (just not the selling).

Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 05-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.
05-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope to see you back soon - I still have the "other side" of a few of your sales!
05-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
When I think about it, I think I had more fun shooting with the Pentax than...
This is the most important thing, and I'm amazed so many people ignore it.
05-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Hey Heather! Don't flinch at the New Pentax lens prices. At least you have an idea of which glass you like.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
. . .

I'm already looking forward to the switch (just not the selling).

Heather
Does that have anything to do with sending out "bonus lenses" in camera bags? Hysterical

Last edited by Blue; 05-24-2012 at 01:53 PM.
05-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Hey Heather! Don't flinch at the New Pentax lens prices. At least you have an idea of which glass you like.

Does that have anything to do with sending out "bonus lenses" in camera bags? :Hysterical:
Uh...no. The Canon backpack will be the last Canon thing to be sold and there will definitely be no surprises.
05-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here it is a year later and I'm still considering switching back.
Happy One Year Anniversary! Many happy returns!
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Here it is a year later and I'm still considering
Just stay. it is all going to hell here.
05-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I tried and I tried and I couldn't figure out how to quote properly.
Try again! It's harder in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you'll find it a useful skill!

05-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most of my Canon gear is up for sale now. I'm hoping the long weekend will produce some sales for me. Keep your fingers crossed!
05-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Interesting thread. I've been using Pentax glass since the mid-70s and have never felt the pull of other brands. Maybe Pentax doesn't have the volume of the others, but then it never did. When the canikons pushed forward into the pro market at the end of the 50s, Asahi however stayed with the dedicated amateur photographer, producing quality bodies and superb gass that were its trademark; the SV was a well-used pro camera in the early- to mid-60s even I'm sure that wasn't the intention!

I shoot now with an *ist DS using smc-A lenses (28/2.8, 50/1.7 and 70-210/4) with occasional use of a smc-M 50/1.4. These are all superb, especially the primes, so that I never feel the urge to strap on the original 18-55 kit lens. I also don't feel the pull of autofocus; focus assist plus the great screen of the DS works fine for me. The most used lenses are the 28 and 50mm primes, and don't feel the need for a short zoom: changing lenses isn't an issue (I'm not a sports photographer!) and I have legs if I need to change to field of view. I shoot RAW when I need to get the maximum detail out of a contrasty scene, and autobracket in extreme situations. Yes, I know that the DS is 6MP, but I frame so that I usually don't have to crop - and the DS feels so good in the hands; this is why I haven't changed. A friend has a K10D and it just doesn't nestle in the hands like my DS does. The sheer non-plasticky-feeling build quality of the body is still very impressive.

Yes, it's a great point about the fun I've always had with Pentaxes. The DS is well-weighted and balanced, and feels good and I know that I get superb results from the glass that I use. To me, the technical side of photography is all about sensor sensitivity (or film speed, when I do occasionally shoot 35mm using a MX or K2), aperture and shutter speed, and half of the fun I get is working to get a good exposure on a difficult subject. As such, I don't use the multiple programs that the DS has, staying with basic P, Tv and Av settings, and then using the exposure compensation button.

So who knows: a body upgrade may well come my way (the K-30 does look good...) but my DS will stay, and the upgrade would still have the lensage on it that the DS currently does.

05-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

@ Heather - you need to be going to the K5 when you shift - anything else and you are going backwards from Canon IMHO.

Myself after being with a D7000 for the past one and half years have never looked back - Pentax would have to produce a real game changer and with a decent lens line up for me to come back

For example the Pentax 55-300 optically is very good and compact, but in hand, in focusing and build quality is simply not up to scratch and feels budget compared to the Nikon 70-300 VR which simply is in a different league.

My son uses the K10D (handed down from me) and we gave it a good side by side test with the D7000 on a mountaineering trip - it simply was no contest - especially re: dynamic range and exposure accuracy.

The K5 has currently the best aps-c sensor (same as D7000) and the files are amazingly robust to pp - so don't settle for less - you will find though that the AF of the K5 quite archaic to Canon.
05-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
@ Heather - you need to be going to the K5 when you shift - anything else and you are going backwards from Canon IMHO.

Myself after being with a D7000 for the past one and half years have never looked back - Pentax would have to produce a real game changer and with a decent lens line up for me to come back

For example the Pentax 55-300 optically is very good and compact, but in hand, in focusing and build quality is simply not up to scratch and feels budget compared to the Nikon 70-300 VR which simply is in a different league.

My son uses the K10D (handed down from me) and we gave it a good side by side test with the D7000 on a mountaineering trip - it simply was no contest - especially re: dynamic range and exposure accuracy.

The K5 has currently the best aps-c sensor (same as D7000) and the files are amazingly robust to pp - so don't settle for less - you will find though that the AF of the K5 quite archaic to Canon.
Many of these contrasts are answered by the K30 - especially the AF, as reported by normhead in his hands-on in the K5 Specifications thread.
05-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
you will find though that the AF of the K5 quite archaic to Canon.
Coming from a 5D, I somehow suspect that the K5's AF will be a decent improvement over what I'm used to. As for the 55-300, the build doesn't bother me enough to not pick it up; I had one before and I had no problems with it.

BTW, I plan on ordering my K5 sometime this weekend.

Heather
05-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Hi Rory

I only just came across this particular thread and took note of the fascinating little snippet of information you provided about Nikon's NEF proprietary format:

Quote: "not sharing the coding for it" (with Adobe's Lightroom) meaning that "some image information can be clipped out during import."

and also

Quote: "What many people do, is use ViewNX to import, export as TIFF, and then work with those in Lightroom. I find that using non-default camera profiles in Lightroom eliminate this need in most photos."

I know I ought to feel slightly guilty about it, but I hardly ever find myself shooting Raw files nowadays as I don't particularly wish to spend all my spare time manipulating digital images at the Post Processing stage. Also Tagged Images generally result in huge file sizes, but naturally provide a wider and more flexible choice when attempting to wring the very finest detail from digital photographs. I guess the ideal solution would be for the camera body to have 2 SD slots, one dedicated for capturing RAW files and the second one allocated for standard JPEG's ?

Best regards
Richard
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

So it's not just me...whew!

Currently, I'm at a nature photography workshop and I've been discussing this with some of the instructors and other students and the general consensus is that I should stick with Canon--perhaps sending in my 5D and/or 24-105/4 to Canon to have them take a look at it and see if there's anything wrong with one or the other. Honestly, as for the body size--the 5D is rather heavy and is almost too big for my hands. Also, I find the Pentax a lot more intuitive to use than the Canons; with the Canons, they are more menu dependent and a bit of a pain to use. I'm not sure that it's the gear, as LR handled the 40D's images in similar fashion.

In the course of the discussions I've had over the weekend, at least a couple of people have pointed out that Nikons are easier to use and perhaps I should give some thought to Nikon, mainly because of the greater user base. Unless I get a hold of someone's Nikon to play with, Nikon is an unknown to me as far as dealing with image files. Having used Pentax before with LR and being happy with it, it is a known. With the improvements in the bodies since I've been on the dark side, I don't see why I wouldn't once again be happy with Pentax.

Heather
I'm do a lot of nature photography. I shot with a bridge camera for years (fz-35) but really wanted more professional results, so I was long considering a k-7 for its weather sealing. Then the k-5 came out and prices on k-7s used fell through the floor. I had to buy into pentax. I've used a lot of cameras including large format scanning backs and 5d mk2s and some nikons (d90 and others) over the years and when I first held the k-7 everything felt perfectly laid out like a well fitting glove. Pentax makes excellent bodies. Their glass is first rate. Its really the lure of beautiful old glass that brought me here. Pentax was (and still is imo) the leica of slrs. Their limited glass is superb and if I ever hit the lottery, I want to buy the whole line. Their star glass is awesome. So much about pentax is truly great. The built in sr was also a enormous point I couldn't ignore coming from a camera that had sr built in and seeing the potential for low light use hand held. Its funny I just realized the other day I haven't really been letting sr spool up, not realizing until just now, six months later that you have to wait for the indicator to come on. I never noticed it actually too a second. Usually I just jam the shutter after. A slight pause. Looks like my keeper rate is going to go up a great deal lol.....

There are some great inexpensive zooms for pentax that work well with nature work. Pair a 55-300 with maybe an old vivitar series 1 macro or something a bit newer with af and add a few primes for close up work with flowers (I use an old a50 1.7 a lot for this) and general nature scenes (a 28mm is nice too) and you have a very nice nature kit. The crop factor works well. If you go to nikon you'll find that weathersealed bodies there are not small nor cheap. You'll also lose sr. I agree about the sharpness and contrast. If you ask me, its very possible you were using better glass on the pentax. Glass is like at least 50% of the shot. People spend small fortunes on leica. Glass with good reason. Its amazingly sharp (for the most part). It also lacks retrofocus design which makes the forumlas a lot simpler especially. For wide angle. Sorry for the long response. You should totally switch if you you aren't totally happy. Fwiw. Canon makes ones of the best macro lenses out there.....it sure doesn't come cheap though.