Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
SMC or nano coatings etc effect micro contrast and not color.
Are you sure about that. My SMC A50-1.7=colors are fantastic.

06-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Pentax does not give great colors,

The Sony sensor within the body does that - thus the same sensor used in other dslr's will give the same color

I agree that I could never get a Canon sensor file to look how I wanted it to look during post processing no matter how hard I tried.

SMC or nano coatings etc effect micro contrast and not color.
Pentax has never used nano to describe their SMC. However it was around before the term nano came into use in this area. However, Pentax does refer to the Aero Bright Coatings as nano technology.

Pentax developed SMC to deal with refraction and reflection. They also had this to say about it.

QuoteQuote:
In reference 06671, Pentax claims that SMC is "a remarkable seven-layer lens coating process that cuts the reflection ratio down to just 0.2% per lens surface. The result is a dramatic improvement in both color fidelity and brightness and the elimination of flare and ghost images."
About Super-Multi Coating (SMC)
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax has never used nano to describe their SMC. However it was around before the term nano came into use in this area. However, Pentax does refer to the Aero Bright Coatings as nano technology.

Pentax developed SMC to deal with refraction and reflection. They also had this to say about it.

About Super-Multi Coating (SMC)
Noted - have you noted though that if you bump up contrast in pp it deepens the colors within the picture - hence my feelings that coatings supposedly effect contrast in a small defined way - hence micro contrast

Why I said what I said is that my Pentax lenses with smc coating do not in any way give better color than my non nano cheap Nikon lenses.

So all in all I believe all the companies invest in pure marketing hype - because who is actually going to challenge their statements.

On the other hand my Zeiss 50 1.4 that I used on my Contax blew my Minolta and Nikon 50 primes out of the water re: color rendering and contrast
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Noted - have you noted though that if you bump up contrast in pp it deepens the colors within the picture - hence my feelings that coatings supposedly effect contrast in a small defined way - hence micro contrast

Why I said what I said is that my Pentax lenses with smc coating do not in any way give better color than my non nano cheap Nikon lenses.

So all in all I believe all the companies invest in pure marketing hype - because who is actually going to challenge their statements.

On the other hand my Zeiss 50 1.4 that I used on my Contax blew my Minolta and Nikon 50 primes out of the water re: color rendering and contrast
That is because that the major manufacturers now mutti-coat even the cheap lenses. Pentax was the first to multi-coat consumer and prosumer grade lenses. Nikon immediately followed suite after crying about it in the early 70s. The quote I posted above came from Pentax (Asahi Optical) during that time period. There was a time when Pentax (Asahi Optical was a trend setter). It is only marketing hype because they have caught up to each other in this area. However, Nikon and Pentax also have their nano coatings. Pentax calls theirs Aero Bright.

Edit: Here is an interesting article by Ricke Oleson on lens coatings and how they work.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-166.html

Last edited by Blue; 06-14-2012 at 05:01 PM.