Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Considering coming back from the dark side...

For those of you who have been around here for a while may remember me...I started using Pentax in the fall of 2007 and switched to Canon in the summer of 2009 when my parents gave me a 40D. I've since upgraded to a 5D.

I was talking with my dad the other day and he commented that he thought the pics I took with the Pentax were better than the ones I've been taking with the Canons I've had in terms of sharpness and color. One thing I've noticed since the beginning is that when I load my RAW images into LR, they seem to be missing something in comparison to the Pentax images--the Canon pics seem to be flat and take more effort to edit to get them up to my standards.

As for the type of shooting I do, FF isn't all it's cracked up to be. I really don't notice any difference in IQ (I'm not blowing my images up really large, either). I was out shooting today with the 5D and macro lens and I really missed the crop factor of the smaller sensor cameras--at least with them, I don't have to be on top of the subject to get as close as I want to be.

I've already been thinking about what I would like my new Pentax kit to look like should I decide to switch back. As for the body, either the K5, K7, or possibly another K20D; for lenses: the Sigma or Pentax 17-70, DA 55-300 (awesome IQ for the price), and FA or DA 100 macro.

When I think about it, I think I had more fun shooting with the Pentax than the Canons.

I miss my Pentax gear and the camaraderie of Pentax Forums.

Anyway, this is my confession.

Heather

Heather's Lightbox Photography -- Heather Blanks | SmugMug

04-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

We'll all welcome you back!
04-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
/Waves hand Jedi style:
You should go home, and rethink your Canon.

Doooo it!
04-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've never had more than a fleeting moment of regret about choosing Pentax as my brand about six years ago. Your post only reinforces my happiness with them. I would encourage you to go for the K5. It is truly a "game-changer" of a camera and has thrilled many a dedicated Pentaxian as well as a growing number of converts. Plus, at this point, you're past the problems that many had to deal with at the outset. It's all gravy, now. I am positive you would be welcomed back into the fold now that you have seen the error of your ways.

04-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hey, Heather! We missed you.

(Oh, yeah, and if you're rebuying kit, and I recall what you do, the new 18-135 WR might be worth a peek for you, for a walkaround. (If you don't mind the speed/variable aperture.) Looks like nice IQ, anyway. (I'm not really in the market for a zoom at that price, but it piqued my interest when it came out for various reasons, I thought in the abstract about reconsidering my usual schemes. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-16-2011 at 07:19 PM.
04-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-5 is an amazing camera. I say shoot with whatever you're most comfortable with. Shoot what makes you happy. That will reflect in your images.

Sharpness, IQ, etc really have minimal bearing, if any, on weather or not you're shooting crop or FF. There really are minimal benefits to full frame, and unless you really need it, it doesn't make much sense.

Think it through, talk to your dad, then make a decision. Seems you admire his input. Bounce the idea off of him. At the very least, the thinking out loud process will prompt you to list some pros and cons.
04-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome back, Heather. While I can't validate what you claim that the Canon can not match sharpness and color, I do find that my friends who use the 50D, 5D and 5D2, all have someone in common. Their pictures are really flat and not sharp at all. I do however, learn that they all rely too much on the camera auto AF point select almost exclusively. I don't know how it all work if there are many focus points the camera is registering with vast differences in distance; and how to get a sharp picture out of that is beyond me. For me, the only time I use the auto-focus point select is when I hand my camera to someone to take a picture for me; otherwise, center-focus or focus select. As for color rendition, I have the FA limited and the DA* and I generally find the color rendition to be good for my liking.

Anyway, welcome back, and I am sure if you can afford it, k-5 is the camera to get. I will likely add the k-5 once my one year usage of the k-7 is up (primarily for better use of warranty).
04-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
One thing I've noticed since the beginning is that when I load my RAW images into LR, they seem to be missing something in comparison to the Pentax images--the Canon pics seem to be flat and take more effort to edit to get them up to my standards.
Not coming along to defend Canon, but one thing I've noticed shooting raw with Pentax and Nikon is that the native raw converters that come with the cameras seem to do a better job for color and IQ. I have Lightroom as well, but like the jpgs the native raw converters turn out vs ACR in Lightroom. This is especially true for the Nikon. You might fire up DPP for your Canon raws and see if they have a bit more life.

I'm starting to think of Liferoom as more of a DAM than image processing software.

Last edited by RyanW; 04-16-2011 at 11:21 PM.
04-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing that I didn't mention in the first post that was the real kicker in the conversation is that Dad actually apologized for leading me astray! (LOL)

As a matter of fact, Dad has had thoughts of switching to Pentax, too! He just needs to get past Mom and resistance to the idea of selling all of his Canon gear.

RyanW--I've given some thought to trying DPP, but that would simply add another step to my editing workflow. With Pentax, I was getting great results using LR only, so why add more work? At any rate, I'll take a look at it, though.

Heather
04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Change the profiles. Adobe standard is awful for a lot of shots out of Nikon. Many people have different preferences, but I like Camera D2X Mode 2 and Camera Standard.
04-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Honestly?...STOP! Changing gear isn't going to gain you much.
04-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Honestly?...STOP! Changing gear isn't going to gain you much.
Well, she just found that out, that's why she's looking at coming back: There's switching around willy nilly out of a 'grass is always greener' notion, (Or cause someone gives you some other gear) and there's knowing what you're about and making the informed choice about what you actually want. Heather knows what she's about, here, it seems to me.
04-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Change the profiles. Adobe standard is awful for a lot of shots out of Nikon. Many people have different preferences, but I like Camera D2X Mode 2 and Camera Standard.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
04-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heather knows what she's about, here, it seems to me.
It seems to me that she doesn't...otherwise she wouldn't have upgraded from the 40D to the 5D. Unless her Canon FF camera is so heavy that she hates to carry it, I don't see that there's a lot to be gained by switching back to Pentax. And I say this as someone who has been an unapologetic Pentax homer for the last several decades.
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

RyanW--I've given some thought to trying DPP, but that would simply add another step to my editing workflow. With Pentax, I was getting great results using LR only, so why add more work? At any rate, I'll take a look at it, though.

Heather
Pentax in Lightroom was far better than Nikon in Lightroom, and I think I could be happy with Lightroom for Pentax 95% of the time and use Pentax software for the other, but Nikon it was 95% the other way. Not sure how much you'll see with Canon's software, if it's the difference I got with Nikon, you'll want to consider adding a step.