Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Rough Time Focusing

I'm new here & Also kinda New to Photography. I have a Pentax K-x, Using a Pentax 135mm Lens (Not Exactly sure whats the Exact Name) My Problem is the Focus. I'm Trying to Self Portrait Myself using a Timed Shot (12 Seconds Setting). But it seems to not focus on me at all. Ive Gotten Close at 15mm But still very Blurry. As Far as Setup, Taking the Picture in the Bathroom against a White Wall With 2 Sets of Bright Bathroom lights. So lighting isn't Bad, Just Dualable. How Far from the Camera to me? Id say 15-20 Feet. its either All blurry or its Focusing on the Wall in the Background & not me. I cannot give too Much input on the Settings i'm using as ive been messing around trying to figure it out. used 200-1600 ISO, Tried Various Different Modes, Etc. Is it because its a Manual Lens? I Hope Not lol.

Anyway... Any Setting Suggestions?

04-17-2011, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You didn't mention Aperture, but IMO stop it down so your DOF is more forgiving. - I think you'll find posting a sample with EXIF gets good responses from the folks on this forum.

Go to Av mode, set Aperture to... 4 sounds good, ISO to... 200 or 400 should be fine.... and you could use a model (coat rack / mop in a bucket / neighbor) so you can set your focus.
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMike596 Quote
I'm Trying to Self Portrait Myself using a Timed Shot (12 Seconds Setting). But it seems to not focus on me at all.
its either All blurry or its Focusing on the Wall in the Background & not me.
I believe on a self-timer shot when you press the shutter button the camera locks focus on whatever the lens sees -

Since you are not in the picture (yet) the lens will focus on the wall that it is pointing at - hence the focus on the wall and not you even when you eventually get into the frame -
as for the all blurry since the wall is plain, the camera may not have anything to focus on... hence all blurry.

So to get yourself in focus on a self portrait - probably it's better to use a remote to trip the camera - so that the camera actually can focus on you. Pick a single focusing point (page 117 in your K-x manual) that you know will fall on you - probably the center focus point? Or the default 5-point AF probably would do as that is somewhat center weighted.

A remote for the K-x can be found for only a few dollars mail-order from China/Hong Kong - I'm sure many here can give you a link.

Or obviously you can put a "dummy" - something for the K-x to focus on in the same position as your face - then after pressing the shutter button - replace that with yourself.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 04-17-2011 at 10:26 AM.
04-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Damn why didn't i think of the Coat Hanger.. haha. Worked out Great. Thanks A lot man.

Edit: @ UnknownVT What Matt said work well. And you bring up a good point too. Will take that in Mind. Pictures turned out 100 times better than before. Its Much more in focus. Thanks again.