Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote

Just out of curiosity, why get a zoom for portrait shooting? The subjects aren't going to be moving. I suppose you could recompose at different crops quickly, but a good prime will best a good zoom in final quality, even if you have to do the foot zoom.
Foot zoom is not the same as an optical zoom. Perspective will change, altering composition.

04-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
There is a superb Pro portrait photographer on here (Benji @ Paris) and he stated (I'm 99% certain) the lense he uses by far the most is the ........ Pentax DA*16-50. Do a search for him and then check out his portfolios - wow !
Thanks for the tip - I will check out his work. I know that the prime > zoom assertion is a generalization, so I expect exceptions. I have heard other great things about that particular lens. And, of course, experience is invaluable, but isn't available in the marketplace.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Foot zoom is not the same as an optical zoom. Perspective will change, altering composition.
Good point.
04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Major debate on this recently (was it here on PF ... I think it was) ... eventually proven that perspective doesn't change. Do a search for the thread.
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't make a living selling 100% crops of shadow areas, so I don't care what they look like.
Funny stuff right there!

04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Major debate on this recently (was it here on PF ... I think it was) ... eventually proven that perspective doesn't change. Do a search for the thread.
I'm surprised at that result. Perhaps they meant it doesn't change significantly above a certain camera to subject distance? I can't find the thread if you can help me look.

There are plenty of examples showing very obvious perspective changes. This can be the size of the nose in relation to the face, or the positioning of background elements.

Note that I am not saying focal length changes perspective (it doesn't).

Last edited by Eruditass; 04-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I'm surprised at that result. Perhaps they meant it doesn't change significantly above a certain camera to subject distance? I can't find the thread if you can help me look.

There are plenty of examples showing very obvious perspective changes. This can be the size of the nose in relation to the face, or the positioning of background elements.

Ah could be my bad. I believe the debate was indeed on whether FL changed perspective.
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

I think this posting explain it?

How to Use Your Zoom Lens as a Compositional Aid

See how the background changes...

Lee

04-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Perspective might not change but a lot of other significant features do change. The depth/compression of the background. the features of your subject with change slightly.

A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens and will always render that way. Just because the FoV on a APS-C is = a 75mm lens on a FF does not change the optical properties of the lens. It will still have the DoF and optical rendering of a 50mm lens.

To make the comparison obvious... Take a 15mm lens and capture a close head shot. Now take a 150mm, back up and frame it for the same shot. The facial features will be significantly different.

The FoV might not change, but each focal length lens is slightly different in how it renders. Wide angle show barrel distortion and telephoto lens show pin cushioning.
04-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Perspective might not change but a lot of other significant features do change. The depth/compression of the background. the features of your subject with change slightly.

A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens and will always render that way. Just because the FoV on a APS-C is = a 75mm lens on a FF does not change the optical properties of the lens. It will still have the DoF and optical rendering of a 50mm lens.

To make the comparison obvious... Take a 15mm lens and capture a close head shot. Now take a 150mm, back up and frame it for the same shot. The facial features will be significantly different.
That is the perspective change I am referring to.
04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
So I'm set on making a decision soon. I will either buy a K7 with a 50-135mm f2.8 lens or a K5. I shoot outdoor portraits mostly and will occasionally shoot engagement parties and sometimes indoor events. I have the Kx now with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens, FA 50mm f1.4, and the kit lens. I don't want to lose high ISO ability but am wondering if the k7 is that bad compared to the Kx. I keep hearing good things about the 50-135mm f2.8 and I'm sure the extra focal length would be great for portraits.

I can instead get the K5 but without the 50-135mm f2.8.

Some advice please.
I'd go with the lens but if i were to choose the camera i'd go with K200D
or Kx if you shoot a lot of low light.
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #56
nah

I didn't read the whole thread.

But if it was were me, I'd go with the K-7 50-135mm combo as bodies are out every year but good glass last forever (or when the SDM fails :P). In a year's time the 50-135 will be the same price or more, while the K-5 will be half the price it is now.
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Correct

Here is a nice visual example of that

Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance? (a tutorial) - Canon Digital Photography Forums
04-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I didn't read the whole thread.

But if it was were me, I'd go with the K-7 50-135mm combo as bodies are out every year but good glass last forever (or when the SDM fails :P). In a year's time the 50-135 will be the same price or more, while the K-5 will be half the price it is now.
This is a commonly held view. However, whilst I neither agree nor disagree because I believe it depends on the specific person and their situation, the fact is you lose a year (or whatever period of time) shooting with a superior camera and the difference that may, or indeed may not, make to your photography.
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 50-135, a K-x, K-7 AND K-5.

The K-x is definitely not ahead of the k-7 in any way except ISO about above about 3200 ISO. The body and feel of the K-7 is superior and more professional in every way, more features, better body, no brainer. the K-7 is a world class body with a slightly (and only slightly) disappointing sensor.

My recommendation would be to get the lens and k-7, and move to the k-5 (or whatever comes next) as and when you can afford it.
04-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #60
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

Have both the K-7 and the 18-135 for several months now. The lens fits my camera like my right hand used to fit my baseball glove. They seem made for each other. 18 for those wide angle shots, and the 135 for the reach with everything in-between. Great carry package for most days.

Even used the K-7 with this lens to shoot great video of "swimming with the elephants" near Andalanta Beach on Koh Lanta in Thailand. Folks, what else does one need in a camera?

Price is right too, less than $900 for the camera and what, less than $500 for the lens?

This camera feels molded to my hand when I carry it with my wrist strap - the lens is certainly adequate for 90% of the shots most of us usually take.

Get the K-7 with the 18135 and go shoot a couple of thousand images and tell us you have regrets.

Best of all, I can't help but get that smug feeling when I see everyone else with their everyone has one Canon or Nikon.

___