Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
alfisti you mean my pics are awful ? I dont use the cloudy WB but the shade because it gives a warm tone on the image , in some cases it does miracles .. But its a matter of taste.. Anyway with cloudy weather the colors are not so bright and alive..
Check my other thread with https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13080-recommended-settings-k100d.html

No no no, I mean the preset cloudy WB is awful You'ver done quite well with those images, a few show a colour cast but are othewise fine.

10-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Tamron 70-300 enroute for my K100d. Hope I get the sharpness which you have accomplished. Nice examples.
Bill
10-31-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
My Sigma APO requires a boatload of PP to help the low contrast and low sharpness. its ok from 70 to 135 though.

The Tamron is definitely the better, sharper lens. It is also over 100 grams lighter, less expensive, and in the US it has a 6 year warranty.
10-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Just don't use it for wildlife subjects with high contrast backgrounds. Definitely not a birders lens. This is why I am disappointed in this lens, as my main subject matter only highlights the deficiencies of the glass.

10-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Having tried the Tamron and the Sigma I found the Tammy was definitely and noticeably better. For Sigma to call theirs an "APO" lens is really quite cheeky. The Sigma had obvious PF/CA in many shots too, and this is hardly unique to either lens.

All budget tele zooms (in fact all lenses) have weaknesses and you usually have to factor in a few restrictions (e.g. stop down, try not to shoot at the very longest focal length) and predict situations likely to produce PF/CA... but as long as you work within these restrictions you can get some very nice results out of it. and in the cheap tele zoom area I really don't think the Tamron can be beaten.

Btw Chako, I agree it's not a birder's lens. But neither is the Sigma, not a chance. For that purpose, I'm afraid your budget may have to be increased quite a bit
10-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
No no no, I mean the preset cloudy WB is awful You'ver done quite well with those images, a few show a colour cast but are othewise fine.
yes you have a point there ..i almost never use this preset and i am open for new tips

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Having tried the Tamron and the Sigma I found the Tammy was definitely and noticeably better. For Sigma to call theirs an "APO" lens is really quite cheeky. The Sigma had obvious PF/CA in many shots too, and this is hardly unique to either lens.

All budget tele zooms (in fact all lenses) have weaknesses and you usually have to factor in a few restrictions (e.g. stop down, try not to shoot at the very longest focal length) and predict situations likely to produce PF/CA... but as long as you work within these restrictions you can get some very nice results out of it. and in the cheap tele zoom area I really don't think the Tamron can be beaten.

Btw Chako, I agree it's not a birder's lens. But neither is the Sigma, not a chance. For that purpose, I'm afraid your budget may have to be increased quite a bit
then i am quite happy that didnt got the sigma lens ! and for 180 euros dont expect miracles

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Just don't use it for wildlife subjects with high contrast backgrounds. Definitely not a birders lens. This is why I am disappointed in this lens, as my main subject matter only highlights the deficiencies of the glass.
thanx for the tip
10-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for a first telephoto the Tamron does a great job. When people comment that it is light, remember that 20 years ago a 300mm prime was twice as heavy and a zoom in that range woulda been a beast For any lens in that price range you are going to get a little CA/Purple Fringing, but once you learn about the lens (through shooting experience) you'll learn how to make it work.

As for the pictures, they are pretty good. They seem to be a little on the 'brown' side, so you may want to check your White Balance, but other than that they do the job.

good luck!
11-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice of first telephoto IMO. Everything else has been said by others...