Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressions from the Tamron 70-300

Hello everyone ,
just before one week i received my new Tamron lens . My first decision was the Sigma ApoDG but i was waiting 2 months and i cancel the order , after i thought of the Pentax 50-200 but this was only available in the shops with much higher price. i usually buy my stuff from e-shops So i ended with the tamron and waiting just 3 weeks ..

Since its my first telezoom lens i cant compare it , but will say some thoughts .
My first impression , was , WOUW this thing is huge . Also it didnt seemed so light for me, from reviews i read it is rather a light lens.. Pretty satisfied from the sharpness and the focusing speed . Some times it is ofcourse better using manual focusing . With this focal range the little K100d did really well with the shake reduktion , took some pictures without the shake reduktion and you can see a big difference . It is recommended using a tripod , but for me carrying the tripod all the time is not a good choice.

One thing and the most annoying for me is the color abstortion , meaning the blue edges in white colors mostly with high contrast . Some times and in higher focal range you can see it clearly . But i suppose what you get is what you pay .
Enough with talking , i will post some images below.. But the animals were taken with cloudy weather and are a little bit dark ..

Attached Images

10-30-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The IQ of the lens looks great, especially considering the cost. I have the Sigma APO and I have not gotten this level of sharpness out of it, ever. So I believe you made a good decision to get the Tamron instead. Very nice shots youve got here!
10-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback and the comment on my pics , i was not so excited about the blue edges.. and i needed a positive comment
10-30-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I have this lens. I didn't buy it, but my father did. I find it to be a true dog due to that awful chromatic aberration. That purple fringe more or less ruins most of my water fowl photos. It is relatively easy to remove in post processing; however becomes a real drag if you’re trying to clean up 100+ photos per session.

Armed with what I now know, the Sigma APO is the much better lens. I am sure the slightly lower IQ that the Sigma gives, can be revived with a little sharpening in PP.

With that said, the Tamron does take some nice photos. Unfortunately, it has a major Achilles heel.

10-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I find it to be a true dog due to that awful chromatic aberration. That purple fringe more or less ruins most of my water fowl photos.
Do you mean CA, or do you mean purple fringing?

Purple fringing is very common shooting darker subjects against a bright background, with many lenses, not just the Tamron. And the purple fringe goes all the way round the subject, whereas lateral CA will have different coloured fringes on each side of it.

This, for example, is purple fringing:

Whereas this is chromatic aberration:

You can get both in the same lens, of course. The top row of black/white stripes was taken with the same lens as the robin.
10-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi, good shots there, like the sheep.
I have the Tamron also but will reserve judgement until I do a trip (China in 2 weeks) with it and take several hundred shots with it.
But I like it so far.
Here is one taken recently.
Cheers
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 12-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.
10-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

My Sigma APO requires a boatload of PP to help the low contrast and low sharpness. its ok from 70 to 135 though.

Have you tried the anti-CA PP tools such as the CA slider in ACR?
10-30-2007, 03:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
CA slider in ACR ? can you explain what you mean ? I understand something like a tool in a imaging program ..

-also a nice sharp picture from you Grant , thanx !

10-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That looks to be a good lens. You certainly piqued my interest.
10-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
CA slider in ACR ? can you explain what you mean ? I understand something like a tool in a imaging program ..

-also a nice sharp picture from you Grant , thanx !
In ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) in the Lens tab there are two sliders under Chromatic Aberration:
Fix Red/Cyan Fringe
Fix Blue/Yellow Fringe

That can be adjusted to combat CA. I believe other raw converters have similar functions.
10-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks, Andreas... I just learned something new.
10-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought the Promaster 70-300, which I am told is a rebadged Tamron, and I've been quite happy with it. The main reason I wanted it was for shooting college marching band performances in our son's stadium, and it's worked nicely. Here's a sample. Taken from the upper level deck of the stadium, on a cloudy, rainy day.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-25-2008 at 07:49 AM.
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Some nice images there, certainly sharp enough.

I am guessing you used the cloudy WB setting on a few of them. This option should be disabled, it's just awful.
10-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a great bang for buck lens if you can keep it below 220mm and stop up.
The CA/PF is annoying but apps like helicon filter do ok at getting rid of it in PP.
Try this metal fence test if you think your Tamron doesn't have PF ;-)
Note that the sun reflections behind the sparrow on the fence are green (CA), but the reflections in front are PF.

The house sparrow is nice and sharp. No PP done on this image...only webshots resizing it.
And for the eagle eyed, yep, that's VPN on that blue background (from the US Open in case you couldn't guess) and I don't think this photo is underexposed...
f/5.6
1/1600sec
260mm
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
alfisti you mean my pics are awful ? I dont use the cloudy WB but the shade because it gives a warm tone on the image , in some cases it does miracles .. But its a matter of taste.. Anyway with cloudy weather the colors are not so bright and alive..
Check my other thread with https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13080-recommended-settings-k100d.html