Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

K200D and Expand Dynamic Range

Hi!

I have a question, does any one know if setting Expand Dynamic Range "ON" on a K200D (or any other camera) would make any difference if shooting in RAW? If not, can this feature be "turned on" while extracting the JPEG in Pentax's Digital Camera Utility?

Thank you.

04-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hahifuheho Quote
Hi!

I have a question, does any one know if setting Expand Dynamic Range "ON" on a K200D (or any other camera) would make any difference if shooting in RAW? If not, can this feature be "turned on" while extracting the JPEG in Pentax's Digital Camera Utility?

Thank you.
Well, on the K5 at least, Expanded Dynamic Range widens the available ISO range from what is "normally" available. It has to be turned on before taking the shot, though, it's not something you can decide you need when downloading. I wasn't even aware that the K200 had this option.
04-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never found it helpful. Anyway here is another thread on this subject:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119522-k200d-d-range-feature.html. But there have been more people discussing this topic on this forum. I humbly suggest you use the search function like I just did! (Hint, use 'show Posts'.)
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, yes, they had it there, thank you!

"First answer is simple... no effect on a RAW file at all. Think of it an adjustment to response curve used to develop that raw file into a jpeg in the camera itself."

As someone there said "I'll be avoiding the D-range from now on." and will happily shoot ISO 100 again.

Again, thank you.

04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It does have an effect on RAW - it will be one stop underexposed. This is how it works & youŽll have to bear it in mind if youŽre going to develop the RAW file on your computer.

I initially assumed photos would be better with this enabled, but youŽll get far more dynamic range developing the RAW with virtually any computer software than you would switching on the DR function & using in-camera jpegs. I no longer bother with it.
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It does have an effect on RAW - it will be one stop underexposed. This is how it works & youŽll have to bear it in mind if youŽre going to develop the RAW file on your computer.

I initially assumed photos would be better with this enabled, but youŽll get far more dynamic range developing the RAW with virtually any computer software than you would switching on the DR function & using in-camera jpegs. I no longer bother with it.
This seems about right for my K-x using the equivalent Highlight Correction On
The RAW is underexposed and if the RAW processor does not "understand" this feature the conversion can come out underexposed - sometimes with quite detrimental effects like color balance - which can be very difficult to correct -

Seems contradictory for RAW - but that is what I found in the early days of the K-x when some of the processors had not yet fully supported the K-x - even DNG - so it appears that Dynamic Range expansion and/or Highlight Correction is a specific feature that is not in the standard JPG features, so needs specific support by the processor - fortunately it has been around Pentax dSLRs long enough that it is mostly supported even early on for new models - but it is not a guarantee.....

Long story short - it is probably much better to avoid it if shooting RAW - unless you have tried your processor and have confirmed that it can convert at its default/camera settings correctly - ie: look similar to the (embedded) JPG.

However Dynamic Range expansion, or in my case Highlight Correction, is not totally useless - as it does seem to protect the highlights.

Grossly overexpose any shot and even RAW cannot recover it -
so shooting RAW is not a panacea to sloppy exposure/shooting.
(although I have been told it is a solution to world peace....)
04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting; I have not experienced underexposure when trying the DR + RAW on the k200, but I can't say there are benefits either.

Paul
04-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Interesting; I have not experienced underexposure when trying the DR + RAW on the k200, but I can't say there are benefits either.
Most likely is because the RAW processor/converter actually understands/supports that feature in your dSLR -
it is only in some cases where the processor/converter does not understand/support the feature
(since it is not a standard JPG feature) - that the result can look underexposed.