Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Best SD card for me?

Hey guys, here is my situation, perhaps you can help me decide what I need...

So, I'll be needing an SD card for a Pentax K110D, most likely, or at least, I want to be prepared for that. Now, I'm a college student, so price is important to me. But other things are important to me as well. I mean, I want it to be able to snap a quicker picture quickly, but if it's a different of 50 dollars and is a few nanoseconds who cares? I can't justify it while I'm still in school. Also, I want to be able to store a lot of pictures at a time, I go out and can take many many pictures and don't want to have to bother with deleting ones I don't like while I'm out and taking pictures. So I may get two cards, and if one is a quick one I may get an old school SD really cheap card that is a 512 or a gig or so. Those are dirt cheap now, aren't they? That would simply be if I run out of room on my "ace" card. Anyone know a reliable list for how many pictures can be stored on a card at each type of shot at each memory card size? Here is what the guide says... Is it accurate? (These are per 128MB)
Raw Best Better Good
Raw - 11 X X X
6MP - X 34 70 117
4MP - X 51 96 161
1.5MP - X 106 173 271

That seems pretty good... as long as I'm not shooting raw very often. And even if I am... At 2 GB that chart would have 176 at RAW and 544 at Best 6MP, right? That's a lot, even for how many I take. I'd always shoot at raw with that, or almost always, anyway. Unless I had really specific reasons for not. Otherwise, I'd get a 1GB card and a 512 backup, most likely. But if the price different isn't huge... I may appreciate the jump at some point.

What do you guys think? What are my best options?

12-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The card at the link below has worked well for me and apparently many others. It's 2 GB so a couple of these will handle most anything in a day's shooting. At $37 each they're cheap enough and Transcend has never let me down. Newegg is a very good net retailer. I buy all of my computer parts from them and they're aces.

Newegg.com - Transcend 2GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Card - Retail
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

a very cheap (slow) 1 gig card will take about 9 seconds for the camera to empty its 5 jpeg buffer.. a fast expensive card will empty its buffer in about 5 seconds..

for none burst mode shooting the card speed wont make any difference.. basically u pay a hefty premium for the guaranteed faster cards..

trog
12-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD Cards

I used SanDisk Elite III card in my *ist DL and now in my K10D. I tried some slower card but found that the camera's buffer could not keep up, especially when bracketing RAW shots. It's less noticable with JPG, but since I bracket almost everything the fater speed pays off for me. I have 2 1GB cards and 1 2GB card. That is about 360 RAW shots or more JPG than I care to think about.