Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D + older lenses?

Gday guys.

Im hopefully going to pick up a K10D in about a week and a half and just want to clarify a few things before I spend the money.

I luckily have access to about 4 high quality lenses and quite a few filters that my dad bought years ago. Now Ive done my research and I know they are going to fit the camera which pretty much swayed my decision for the K10D.

Now I have just thought of something. Are the old lenses really going to be fully compatible with the new camera? The lenses are older from a pentax film SLR. PLEASE tell me this wont make any problems.

Do the new lenses have chips/electronics or anything (which I THINK they may from reading some things) that are needed? Am I going to be fine putting on the older lenses (which were pretty much top of the line when bought years ago by my Dad) and able to just have a play, manually focus the lenses and snap away? Is there anything thats needed to be done first?

Any information about the older lenses on the new camera you guys can give me would be muchly appreciated.

Been having a quick look around and there is some good info and you blokes seem nice. Gonna be hanging around a fair bit

Thanks in advance

Mark

And Gday Simon (Mechan1k) if your reading this mate. After bugging you on AFF I nearly have my camera. Next thursday or Saturday should be the big day!

10-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mark

can you define old?

As an initial response.

If the lenses are M42 screw mount, they will work (with an adaptor) in stopped down metering mode i.e. you manually stop the lens down and the camera meters the light. This works in both Av mode and Manual. As with K mount below, only auto flash withe external unit or manual.

If the lenses are K mount, i.e. there are no electrical contacts on the lens mount, then they will work in manual mode, where the shutter speed is set by pressing the green button. In Av mode the camera will shoot without stopping the lens down, but it will set the shutter to give correct exposure.

With these lenses you cannot use the internal flahs, and an external flash must be set to either manual, or auto (using a built in sensor in the flash for metering)

You will also be prompted for focal length at camera start up, this is for shake reduction

If the lenses are KA mount, except for lacking auto focus, all modes of the camera will work properly, although the camera will still prompt for focal length. These WILL work with P-TTL flash and the internal flash

KAF (autofocus lenses) or later, the camera will do everything but wash your dinner dishes.
10-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great to see another Sandgroper on here. Please do tell, just what lenses do you have?
10-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

These questions come up sooooo often. We do have a knowledge base here, I had a look to see if we have anything in there about this,and these links should cover everything:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/34-can-...-d-ist-ds.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/33-can-...-d-ist-ds.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html

10-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Pentax Canada - Compatibility of Pentax Lenses

http://www.pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_K10D_e.pdf
10-31-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Define old? Well they're from the mid 80's so they're fairly old haha

From Dads SLR. fully manual from what I understand. Its a Super F1 I think if that means anything to anyone. Dad says they cost a fair bit back when he bought everything (So am thinking that means they're good. Dad has used them for weddings and all sorts and has taken some awesome shots with them) and seeing as they're here I want to use them because I have them. Save me buying my own lenses until I really need to and have more money to spend on good gear.

How do I tell what sort of mount they are? I am pretty sure they are K mount from reading on Wikipedia but im sure you guys can tell me different.

So really it seems no matter what they are they are going to work one way or the other.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Mark

PS Totally didn't think of the search button. Late at night and I was in a rush. Sorry guys!
10-31-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

If the camera is a Pentax 35mm slr then they should be either K mount or m42 (screwmount), pretty easy to tell apart. You can also look at the front of the lens where some information should be written, post that information here
10-31-2007, 04:11 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alrighty.

Well the lenses dont really screw on perse. They sorta push in and then rotate 1/4 to 1/2 a turn so not really screwing.

The 50mm lens I am looking at now says on the front "SMC PENTAX-A 1:14 50MM" and opposite side theres a code "1016015" Dont know if that means anything.

Also looking at a big bugger off lens "SMC PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:4 70~210MM"

So Its fairly definate that they will be K mount?
So according to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html
I am not really going to have any problems? Hope I worked that out right.

Thanks for all your input Andreas. Glad to be able to pick the brains of some of the smarter more experienced people

Mark

10-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tauni Quote
Alrighty.

Well the lenses dont really screw on perse. They sorta push in and then rotate 1/4 to 1/2 a turn so not really screwing.

The 50mm lens I am looking at now says on the front "SMC PENTAX-A 1:14 50MM" and opposite side theres a code "1016015" Dont know if that means anything.

Also looking at a big bugger off lens "SMC PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:4 70~210MM"

So Its fairly definate that they will be K mount?
So according to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html
I am not really going to have any problems? Hope I worked that out right.

Thanks for all your input Andreas. Glad to be able to pick the brains of some of the smarter more experienced people

Mark
From your description you have KA mount lenses, so they will do everything except auto focus. All exposure modes will work. I'll have to check my manual, but I don't believe matrix metering will work though. The camera will default to Center Weighted. This is not a big deal, a lot of people prefer center weighted anyway. If someone else knows for sure, I'm sure they will post a correction.

Here is a very useful link to everything Pentax.
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
10-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So KA is exactly the same as K? Well if thats so whoooooooooooooooo!!!! Cheers Alan and everybody else who helped me out.

Saves me buying heaps of gear and I dont have to stress about it not actually working when I buy the camera next week. yay!

Quick run down on what Ive got to work with (well what I can make heads or tails of haha):

50mm lens
70~210mm zoom
1:28 28mm lens
Hoya Zoom close-up lens (Guessing for macro shots?)

FILTERS:
Multi-Image filter
Varioscross
Polarising filter
centerspot filter
Star Eight
Pulsator
Rainbow spot
Multivision X6
fog filters

Plus a flash that aparently wont work on the new camera as the voltages are different and a full size tripod.

So basically Ive got a few toys to play with thanks to the old man and am going to have a wicked time learning everything.

Once again thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. Puts my mind at ease that I have chosen the right camera.

Mark
10-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So KA is exactly the same as K?
Not quite.

The mount is the same, yes.

The 'A' refers to a setting on the aperture ring, and when set to this, allows the camera to set the aperture on the lens.

For the K10D, this is very important, since without this, the camera has no way of detecting the aperture to which the lens is set for metering purposes.

A-series lenses or later, when set to A, allow all the K10D's metering modes to be used.

Pre-A lenses, or A-series lenses not set to A, are still usable, in that they fit just the same, but there are exposure mode and metering limitations.

You'll get used to using the body to set the aperture with A-lenses very quickly indeed, so don't worry on that account.
10-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So KA is exactly the same as K? Well if thats so whoooooooooooooooo!!!! Cheers Alan and everybody else who helped me out.
Mark

Just so you don't get confused with all the different lens mounts, the real easy way to determine functionality is as follows.

If the lens mount is a 1/4 turn bayonette it is some form of K mount. Threaded lenses are M42

Looking at either the apature ring, if there is a small button and an A it is KA or later.

Looking at the base of the lens, if there are contacts on the mounting flange it also confirms it is KA or later.

If there are 2 additional contacts inside (diameter wise) from the focusing screw it is a KAF2 mount (which has the power zoom functions) Note the new HSM (or what ever) lenses will also have these contacts as they were brought back to provide power & control for the focusing motor in the lens

With the exception of true K mounts (manual apature - no A setting - no lens contacts) All other camera functions are fully supported, including P-TTL flash and matrix metering.
10-31-2007, 05:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Mark

Just so you don't get confused with all the different lens mounts, the real easy way to determine functionality is as follows.

If the lens mount is a 1/4 turn bayonette it is some form of K mount. Threaded lenses are M42

Looking at either the apature ring, if there is a small button and an A it is KA or later.

Looking at the base of the lens, if there are contacts on the mounting flange it also confirms it is KA or later.
Well definitely seems to be a KA then. So I shouldn't have any problems and can pretty much just whack them on and learn how to use them properly and start snapping away.

So much to learn! Once again thanks for all the help guys. Going to be reading a lot in the next week and then start practicing next weekend!

Cheers guys,

Mark
10-31-2007, 05:59 AM   #14
and
Veteran Member

So you have this one:
A 50/1.4
Which is a very very nice lens.
And this one:
A 70-210/4

And you dont list info on the others, is the 28 also pentax a?
in that case its this one
A 28/2.8

Some nice lenses there to get you started with a new digital body, they are manual focus but everything else is automatic.
11-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Absolutely spot on mate. So they are pretty damn good lenses then ay? Score one for me. Gonna have to thank the old man.

I figured I wouldnt have any auto focus or anything as theyre older lenses but this is working out better than I expected. All I need to do is buy a flash which I actually looked at today. min of about AU$500

Also need to buy lens hood for being out in the sun and such at car shows etc.

Thanks Andreas. you blokes are all champs.