Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

First time w/a press pass at a major festival

There will be more added later, but honest thoughts so far? (aka criticisms please)

side note: I was the only person there using pentax. Lots of giant canons/nikons, even saw a leica. Kinda cool being the oddball.

Wanee Fest April 2011 - a set on Flickr

04-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dflorez Quote
There will be more added later, but honest thoughts so far? (aka criticisms please)

side note: I was the only person there using pentax. Lots of giant canons/nikons, even saw a leica. Kinda cool being the oddball.

Wanee Fest April 2011 - a set on Flickr

I really like most of your shots. However, there are several that are just outstanding. I mean, really outstanding. Great job showing that Pentax is just as capable & even better in many areas as the big boys.
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those shoots looks great. Congratulations.
Could please tell what lenses you used?
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Appreciate it! Of the ones posted so far, I believe they were all taken with a tamron 28-75 2.8 - the film/full frame version. There may be 1 or 2 taken with an old 50mm f2 manual lens.

The ones that stand out to you, I don't suppose you could be specific (or mention why)... I haven't had a real photo critique in several years..

04-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dflorez Quote
<snip> The ones that stand out to you, I don't suppose you could be specific (or mention why)... I haven't had a real photo critique in several years..
OK, here are my thoughts and impressions. Please remember this is only my personal comments, others will have very different feelings.

Dislike:
Fans, Lotus, Hooper, Warren Haynes Back Up Singers.
Just personal taste.
Winners:
Karl Dinson's Tiny Universe, The Lee Boys, Sharon Jones & Dap Kings, Stephen Marley's Back Up Singers. These are all well exposed, composed, and expressive.
So So:
Warren Haynes - not thrilled with the color balance
Papa Mali - Absolutely wonderful IF there was just a touch of fill light on his face (or possibly a second or more, shot showing the face.
Stephen Marley - Fine shot except it's not a very decisive moment for such a known icon (although I personally think he's still riding daddy's coat tails)
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
o these are quite wonderful.
04-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Wow, these are wonderful shots!! They make you feel like you are there and can almost hear the music. In particular, I really enjoyed the pictures of the musicians. There were a couple that stood out as stunning! Indeed, Pentax holds up perfectly with the "big boys". It must have felt really cool being different, yet having great results. Thanks for sharing! Oh, out of curiosity, how does a person acquire a press pass?
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
OK, here are my thoughts and impressions. Please remember this is only my personal comments, others will have very different feelings.

Dislike:
Fans, Lotus, Hooper, Warren Haynes Back Up Singers.
Just personal taste.
Winners:
Karl Dinson's Tiny Universe, The Lee Boys, Sharon Jones & Dap Kings, Stephen Marley's Back Up Singers. These are all well exposed, composed, and expressive.
So So:
Warren Haynes - not thrilled with the color balance
Papa Mali - Absolutely wonderful IF there was just a touch of fill light on his face (or possibly a second or more, shot showing the face.
Stephen Marley - Fine shot except it's not a very decisive moment for such a known icon (although I personally think he's still riding daddy's coat tails)
Seriously, thanks much. Most of these will be printed as a together, so the so so's (I mostly agree) act as "b roll" to finish/round out the story.
Warren Haynes (and backup singer) - until then I'd never tried the "digital filters" on the camera, and being not a huge fan of mr. Haynes, it seemed as good a time as ever. That was the "retro filter"
I agree too w/stephen having to come out from bob's shadow. I really don't know how someone could do that short of using a different name - but some of his newer releases and collaborations seem to be starting that dirrection.
Papa Mali - appreciate it. That was one of the shots before they turned the lights on, and I'm pretty sure I have some more with the light a little more directed towards his face - I will take a look.

Frostie - to get a press pass it takes a bit of luck, emails, and to be working for some sort of press. I think you could fake it though with a legit looking website and some kind of credential, and simply ask nicely. Or aquire some passes for smaller festivals, and work up. I'm new at this world as well, so I'm mostly bs'ing right now.

04-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The lack of any sort of face... It's like a ghost is picking at the strings! Mystery, Intrigue, Dreadlocks!
04-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Forum Member

Thanks, dflorez! I go to Nascar races when they are in town. Once, I was fortunate enough to have pit passes. There were many people with a "press" vest. Some appeared to have really basic, simple equipment or even none at all! Since then, I was curious.

And I agree with RXrenesis8. This is one of my top 5 favorites for the reasons listed. I also like the hint of something just behind Papa Mali. It leaves alot to the imagination and that can be fun!
04-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great shots, and you're right... Sharon Jones rules.
04-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest, I've only heard of a few of these groups or players so my choice is based on the picture alone. Here are the one's I feel are great.

Allman bass
Lotus
Stephen Marley
Hot Tuna
Papa Mali
The Lee Boys

The "fans" is interesting as well. It's hard getting great shots of the crowd without it looking like someone just taking pictures of a crowd.
04-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
appreciate it!