Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regretting purchasing the K100D

Not because it's a bad camera, mind you, but because I know I really, really want the handling of a K10D-level camera. (I look at those two scroll wheels and tears form in my eyes. Okay, not quite.) I was going to wait to see what the replacement might be (whether it comes out this year or next) but the K10D prices are getting so low it's hard to keep looking away. Whatever the new model, it's unlikely that it'll offer what the K10D does for less than $600 for a good long time.

10-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't wait. There are no guarantees of anything... whether Pentax will come out with a new camera within the year... whether Pentax will survive... no guarantees. That's simply the reality of the world in which we live. Personally, I'm sure Pentax will survive and will come out with a new flagship camera. And it WILL COST considerably more than the k10d now costs, you can be sure. So, if you really want the k10d, go out and get it. Either sell what you have or keep it as a back-up body which is what my friend has done. But waiting to see what is down the road? There will always be something down the road so why waste the days in the interim? Why not just get what you want now and enjoy it?
10-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
(I look at those two scroll wheels and tears form in my eyes. Okay, not quite.)
You know, I have second that motion. Whether I end up getting Pentax in the years to come, or [gasp] another brand [possibility in only decades to come], I imagine the one requirement I will have are the two wheels. I just can't say enough about how much I love having them. You know what else, this vocalization here just made me re-thing what my 2nd body will be when I get one.
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was in your shoes a month ago...

Not because it's a bad camera, mind you, but because I know I really, really want the handling of a K10D-level camera. (I look at those two scroll wheels and tears form in my eyes. Okay, not quite.) I was going to wait to see what the replacement might be (whether it comes out this year or next) but the K10D prices are getting so low it's hard to keep looking away. Whatever the new model, it's unlikely that it'll offer what the K10D does for less than $600 for a good long time.
I had a Ds and went through the same reasoning: no matter how good the next camera is going to be, for €690, the K10 is a hell of a camera:

I bought one. Could not be happier.

10-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
kay

I'm in the same boat as you. I really, really badly want a K10D. I also want to wait and see what Pentax announces in the new year but that's still a good 4 months away, and who knows when the new gear will start shipping and if I'll even be able to afford it. In the mean time, the K10D prices are, well... tempting

What's making it worse is the fact that I borrowed my friends' K10D for a week and discovered just how much I've been missing in terms of creative control all along with the K100D. Yep, I think I'll pull the trigger any day now...
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It was a great buy at $1,000

Last November My k10D cost me $1,000 and it was by far the best buy on the market then. If I had waited I would have saved $400 and lost 8,850 shots and a lot of fun. The new camera in January will be at least $1,000. The K10D is going to hold its value for a long time so you can trade up to the new model in 2 or 3 years for very little money. Go for it.

regards,

Ken
10-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Ed in GA

I think you would be hard pressed to find a DSLR with the features of the K10D for under $700. 14 months ago I paid more for my K100D than I just did for my K10D which I received yesterday.

I've been exploring the K10D for about 30 hours now and am absolutely amazed at the value of this purchase.

Many people are eagerly anticipating the release of Pentax "next big thing" but I decided that the next big thing was already on the market.

You might as well pull the trigger as I don't believe that the K10D will get any cheaper.

Ed

10-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There you have it, Matt. We've gone to the trouble and made your decision for you. Now go out and buy it.
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Would it kill a manufactuer to make a small (DS size) DSLR with full feature like 2 wheels and direct acces to WB etc etc?

I'd pay for it, just build the thing. Tired of being told I need to buy a monstrosity to get useability.
10-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Monstrosity? Please clarify.
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Monstrosity? Please clarify.

The K10D is a hefty piece of kit, I just don't need that bulk.
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #12

no regrads

Like most people, I debated over and over whether to get the 100 or the 10. I finally decided to be honest with myself. Will I ever make good use of the incremental functions and features of the 10 over the 100? The answer was no. Like most things we buy, we are always tempted by the next higher level products. It becomes an emotional decision rather than a rational one. But in the end, if you got the money, buy whatever will makes you happy.
10-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi mattdm

We've all been down this route......K10D or NOT K10D....that is THE question ? I love the feel of the K100D/K100dSuper, but when 'push-comes-to-shove' it's the K10D that invariably comes up with more of the right answers. I fully intend to purchase a back-up for my camera body in the near future, but it had better come with TWO e-dials on it, or I'm afraid it's gonna be a case of
'hasta la vista baby' !
The sheer value for money that Pentax's K10D presently offers against it's immediate competitors simply beggars belief IMHO and I only hope that it's eventual successor kicks as much 'ass' as the K10D currently does !

Best regards
Richard
10-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never really thought there was any other camera except one with two wheels!

My last 3 cameras are PZ-1, *istD, K10D. The only difficulty in switching between them is that I now expect an image displayed on the back of the PZ-1.

The good thing is that I never had any question what the two wheels or the green button did, because for me, the function has been the same for 17 years.
10-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vanguy Quote
Will I ever make good use of the incremental functions and features of the 10 over the 100? The answer was no.
I made the same evaluation, but came out with a 'yes' - and like you I have no regrets with my decision even though I made a different one. I think that's the key, though: you need to make the call. And from everything I've heard about the K100, had I bought that I doubt I would have regretted it either: both are outstanding cameras. Twin wheels are nice, as is weather sealing and a battery grip. But you can do without them and still get the shot you want - they simply make a few things easier.