Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K10D Setting and Custom Settings

I am new to the Pentax family, I just converted from Nikon. I have searched the internet looking for people that have posted their settings bank (sharpening, contrast, saturation), and Custom Settings bank with no luck. I was actually surprised that this forum didn't have anything like that either.

So... Lets start one. Post your shooting settings and custom settings and some sample pics so us noobs can see what changes will effect what aspects of the photos.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Bryan

10-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
0 sharpening
0 contrast
+1 saturation

if i have an M42 lens, i increase the exposure 0.5 - 1
10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
custom settings change as a function of shooting conditions. I change contrast based upon sun / cloud (low contrast in sun, high in cloud to compensate for lighting.)

Sharpess usually stays at normal to slightly soft, because the high sharpness results in a lot of noise.

Noise reduction on.

ISO is a function of lightinf, as is white balande
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

I've just changed mine from the default settings and so far I like the result.

Tone: Bright
Satuation: Normal
Sharpening: +2
Contrast: +1

I need a bit more experimenting before I decide to keep these settings.

Cheers,
Rusty

10-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #5

The beauty of digital is that you can experiment and then see the reults almost immediately. It really comes down to what you really like, and how well the images will print, and even that is variable once you perform major tasks such as sharpening, saturation and contrast adjustments in Photoshop etc. I've generally found that the K10D tends to underexpose in bright light, so I shoot+.5 to increase the exposure (this is not in the custom setting menu). I played with contrast for some photos, but tend to leave it alone and make adjustment out of the camera, as you can loose detail with to much contrast.
10-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K10D vs K100D

If I put the K10D in bright mode, how well would its other +/- values correspond with those of the K100D? I'm really happy with the K100D in bright with saturation at -1 and the other two settings at 0. Is the baseline in the K10D the same, or does that correspond to something like "saturation 0, contrast -1, sharpening -1"?
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beanr6 Quote
I am new to the Pentax family, I just converted from Nikon. I have searched the internet looking for people that have posted their settings bank (sharpening, contrast, saturation), and Custom Settings bank with no luck. I was actually surprised that this forum didn't have anything like that either.
So... Lets start one.
[snip]
A hearty welcome! You may refer to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/9689-what-your...hlight=setting for a 19 reply thread just like this one.

I look forward to your other postings, perhaps in some of the other active threads out there, like "why did you choose Pentax" , as you decided to switch to rather then from this system. All systems have pluses and minuses. We're always interested to hear others views as to what swayed them.

10-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I leave mine, as well as my other Dslr's, at factory settings with good results. I change anything later in PS, if it needs it. I find my K10D and D200 need little adjustments for the most part. My older Nikons tend to need a bit more. Different proccesors i suppose.

Dave
10-31-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

RAW Process in ACR/CS3. NEVER touched any of the bright-natural/contrast/sharpness/saturation settings.
10-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Peter Burian, writer of the Magic Lantern Guides, suggested a sharpening of +2 and leaving the other settings alone. Just a thought.
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JFC1944 Quote
The beauty of digital is that you can experiment and then see the results almost immediately.
On of the particularly cool things about the K10D is its ability to "develop" raw files in -camera. You can take a couple of test shots, and then go through and develop "bracketed" jpeg versions of each one with the full matrix of settings from -3 to +3. Then, you can pixel-peep those to see what you like best.

I'm leaning towards bright mode with -1 saturation / 0 sharpness / +1 contrast as a baseline setting.
11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Do these rec. mode menu settings (saturation, sharpness, contrast) have any impact on a raw capture? I've been operating all year on the understanding that these settings affected ONLY jpegs.

Will
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

According to everything I've read in the Magic Lantern Guide (and I've not quite finished the book), you are correct; these changes affect only JPEGs.
11-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
According to everything I've read in the Magic Lantern Guide (and I've not quite finished the book), you are correct; these changes affect only JPEGs.
Thanks for that, James. I believe that these settings also affect the jpeg thumbnail that's embedded in the raw file -- the jpeg that you see in review mode on the LCD. But there is no point (in my mind) in improving the thumbnail, so I leave ALL of these settings on their default 0 settings.

I shoot only raw (well, 99.2% of the time).

Will
11-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

RAW+ and Lightroom!