Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the K-X have true mirror lockup?

.. the Nikon d3100 sure doesn't lol.. I returned it today. No way in heck will I have a camera that doesnt do mirror lockup or work with any older autofocus lenses or meter through the lens of older nikkor lenses.. so glad I am going with pentax instead.

04-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if you mean by mirror lock up, that the mirror slide, then 2 seconde latter, the sensor take the picture, so yes, the K-x can do that.

Concerning pentax old lenses, they are all fully compatible (with restriction, like no AF -mainly because it didn't exist when the lense was produced.) it's eversince the same mount (with few evolution, like screwmount AF). You can find some adaptaters for m42 and m39 lenses too.
04-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the kx has mirror lock up with self timer or, you can do it using live view.
04-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yes, it does. You can set it to 2 seconds self-timer, which will lock up the mirror two seconds before it takes the shot.

04-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would be nice to manually lock it up and then snap when you want, like with a shutter cable. PUt the mirror up, wait for the breeze to die down or that insect to move (or settle down) and then snap. With the self timer, that's like the "mirror lockup" on the Nikon FM2.. and you just have to be lucky.

I guess I could switch to live view after i focus and then snap with the cable? On the Nikon d3100 (which I returned recently), when you switch to live view, the mirror goes down and then back up when you SNAP! LMFAO! stupid.
04-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
On the Nikon d3100 (which I returned recently), when you switch to live view, the mirror goes down and then back up when you SNAP! LMFAO! stupid.
That is normal. Just a few (expensive) cameras have the ability to reset the sensor electronically to begin the exposure, for example the Canon 5DMkII or 7D.
I'm affraid it isn't possible to get mirror lockup without timer or electronic shutter in LV using cheap cameras.
04-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

2 sec delay is not a true mirror lock up, instead it is a pseudo-mirror lock up, true mirror lock-up is mirror flips in the first shutter button press, and shutter activates in the second press. Difference? very little, on the very wobbly stands, camera shake caused by mirror slap continues in theory.

So the answer is no. K-x does not have a true mirror lock-up

04-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

True mirror lockup is when the mirror goes up on request and stays up after taking the shot. It only goes down when you request that; so you can do multiple shots in between.

As far as know, none of the Pentax dSLRs has that functionality.
04-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
645D can do that. It has even a dial especially for it.
04-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well hopefully with live view mode it will give me what I want. In live view the mirror gets locked up but the question is.. when you snap the pic does the mirror go down then back up on the k-x--like the nikon d3100 does? I guess I'll find out since I bought a K-X the other day Pink one for $439, new with kit
04-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Well hopefully with live view mode it will give me what I want. In live view the mirror gets locked up but the question is.. when you snap the pic does the mirror go down then back up on the k-x--like the nikon d3100 does? I guess I'll find out since I bought a K-X the other day Pink one for $439, new with kit
Yes it does go up and down. If you want a true mirror lock-up in LiveView prepare at least $2000. The lock-up with 2 seconds timer just has to be enough for you right now.
Anyway, K-x is a great camera. I think you're going to love it.

Last edited by freddykrueger; 04-24-2011 at 06:26 AM.
04-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
True mirror lockup is when the mirror goes up on request and stays up after taking the shot. It only goes down when you request that; so you can do multiple shots in between.

We just started playing with words but, descriptionwise since there is no reason to mirror stays up after the shot, so immediate return after the shot is a true MLU too. The point is allowing time to you to decide between mirror and shutter activates. So K-7 and K-5 have true MLU's.
04-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very few Pentax cameras have had mirror lockup. The K2 & KX of 1975, the LX of 1980, & the MZ-S of 2001. All of the DSLRs have some form of mirror lockup, the low end have 2 second delay, the high end have the M.UP drive mode.
04-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It is mirror move up (MMU), not mirror lock up (MLU).
04-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Oh.. I see..so Pentax Kx doesn't have mirror lock up.....maybe i have to use slow speed to clean inner sensor from dust yah...I Think my K-x shown few dust because I often change my lens and maybe my sensor exposed by few dust...

It's not affect but I feel not comfort when I look at the viewfinder and there is (look like) black point inside...I'm sure there is from my camera because i tried few lens and having the same dust position....

Sometimes I think it from the viewfinder but it's not proven before I clean my sensor....I hope it's fine...