Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
sounds like a lot of good information, thanks to all

im going to try and hit b and h on friday to handle the cameras again--theres a smaller shop near my office, but they want to charge me 700 for a 100d and 2 lenses, when i can get the 100d super plus the kit lens for 500(before rebate) from b and h.

have not handled the 10d yet, but will do so soon. the 100d is the only ive had in my hands. but it felt like the old one my dad had and i inherited-the name escapes me, but i loved how it felt, and there's a bit of nostalgia there for me.

did see some deals on 100d non-supers in the marketplace, so i am debating those as well.

in terms of learning and fiddling...im a techie so im fine with it. its more for me than my wife-shes relatively happy with her canon s2, and i cant see her ever adapting well to an slr. she may surprise me, but i doubt it.

10-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I picked the K100 (non-super), and I am very happy with it. I could afford anything I wanted (with my wife's permission, of course), but I decided that the K100 will do everything I want a camera to do. I'm definitely not as "into photography" as some of the posters, but I am OK with that.
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
im leaning toward the 100d super, even though I could probably swing either, justbecause it will allow a little more flexibility (ie, I could get another lens for the difference between 10 and 100, or something else).

i like photography a lot, or at least, I think I pick some neat pictures to take-with the kids, they are the prime focus now, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either. im thinking run with the 100d for a bit, and then move up to whatever the top one is at the time, if i feel it's necessary.
10-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
im leaning toward the 100d super, even though I could probably swing either, justbecause it will allow a little more flexibility (ie, I could get another lens for the difference between 10 and 100, or something else).

i like photography a lot, or at least, I think I pick some neat pictures to take-with the kids, they are the prime focus now, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing either. im thinking run with the 100d for a bit, and then move up to whatever the top one is at the time, if i feel it's necessary.
Kids are fast so make sure that you have a fast camera (K100D has better high ISO cappabilities than K10d but it might be slower focusing) and fast lenses (standard fast primes from Pentax are simply unbeateable).

Hope it helps

10-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

did see some deals on 100d non-supers in the marketplace, so i am debating those as well.
The only significant differences between the non-Super and the Super is the Dust Removal feature, which is basically a sensor shake, and SDM lens compatibility. (Can't remember if they added weather sealing with the introduction of the Super - worth checking).

I find the Dust Removal a bit weak on the K10D - it usually doesn't remove the dust spots I get, so I blow them off with a blower. So I'm not sure it's much of a benefit.

And since even the cheapest SDM lens is likely to be as much as the camera or more, I'd be surprised if they'll be a priority for you in the near future.

So a non-Super might be the way to go if you don't want to stretch to the K10D.
10-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
take the k100d if you wanna save some money, it will not dissapoint you.. else go for the k10d
I own a k100d and i am really satisfied from the pictures it makes. Never compare 6 mp from a DSLR with 5 mp from a compact one. It is a a big difference . Also 6 mp are enough if you think that the little pentax makes sharper pics than some 10mp DSLR cameras (i will not say specific brands) so its up to you . If i would choose again i would go for the 10mp model since i learned some things and i could use a faster kamera..
You can see some samples (1600x1200)here
10-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I just want to add my voice to those others (including bymy141 and mattdm) who have earlier defended the K10D against the charge that it's a lot more difficult. They're right: it's not.

Perhaps the best thing about the K10D is its outstanding ergonomics. Are its outstanding ergonomics? Um, the ergonomics of the K10D are outstanding. Whew.

But what does it mean to say that, if not to say that the K10D is easy to use where it counts? Having two e-dials is brilliant. When I pick up my little *ist DS, I hate having to hold down the EV button to change the aperture. The raw button on the front of the K10D adds nothing to the difficulty of the camera, as I ignore it completely -- I shoot only raw. The green button on the top of the camera allows me to get the camera's opinion about correct exposure in an instant. The scene modes on the K100D can and in my opinion SHOULD be ignored, but I find it easier to use the mode dial on the K10D, in part because it's less cluttered with useless options. The K10D's TAv mode is perfect when I am shooting in low light -- wedding or other indoor event, sports -- want to control my aperture and shutter speed manually, but want to get the best ISO setting possible.

In my view, the only reason to get a K100D Super rather than a K100D is the price difference, and believe me, I consider that a very valid reason indeed. After all, the price advantage is what has me using Pentax in the first place. If money were no object, I'd be using a super-expensive Nikon or Canon system. So if you decide against the K10D because it costs a fair bit more, that makes perfect sense. If you decide against it because somebody scared you into thinking it would be too hard, well, that would be a shame.

And if you do go with the K100D Super, well, it too is an excellent camera. So you can't go far wrong here.

Will

10-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
Inactive Account

"Originally Posted by bymy141
just change one default: neutral to vivid colours, and you are set"

Please clarify.
10-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I picked the K100 (non-super), and I am very happy with it. I could afford anything I wanted (with my wife's permission, of course), but I decided that the K100 will do everything I want a camera to do. I'm definitely not as "into photography" as some of the posters, but I am OK with that.
Cool attitude. I need to remind myself of this very thing every now and then... just be OK with your level of competence... challenge yourself from time to time... but in the end... make images for the joy of it. When you lose the joy and it becomes stressful and an aggravation, it's time to pack it in.
11-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd take the advice of one of the members here and look for a used k100d on sale in the market forum. They have been going for lower than $300 which I find it's an insult for such a good camera .

Also get an autofocus fast fifty, that is either the f 50/1.7, fa 50/1.7, f 50/1.4, fa 50/1.4. Also get the kit lens.

Try these ones out, and see if you need better reach.

If I'd have the chance to do it all over again from the start I'd get a used k100d which I did, in may. A tamron 28-75 f/2.8+tamron 70-300+one of the autofocus fast fifties and a sigma ef-500 dg st flash. Tha should fit the sub $1000 mark, just barely, but it'd be a kick ass kit.

Why the k100d? Awesome performance for the price. Simple as that. I don't need a billion mp. I need better low light capabilities.

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Sharp fast lens with great coverage.

Tamron 70-300, for when you need reach. It is not fast but at these focal lengths you need to spend big bucks to get a fast lens.

The f 50/1.7, fa 50/1.7, f 50/1.4, fa 50/1.4, because they're awesome for the price, just like the k100d.

Sigma ef-500 dg st. Cheap, powerful, p-ttl. People might find the build quality a bit low to pentax standards, but you'll have to be more careful.

Hope that helps!

Good luck with you decision making.

Deni
11-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Kids are fast so make sure that you have a fast camera (K100D has better high ISO cappabilities than K10d but it might be slower focusing) and fast lenses (standard fast primes from Pentax are simply unbeateable).

Hope it helps
So it almost sounds like i may be safer with the 100d for the moment, just based on the ISO and speed of my kids, which are going to be in a lot of pictures?
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At this point, I am definetly leaning toward the 100d for a couple reasons-
1-price--whether I go used or new, it's cheaper than the 10d, and I can use the savings to get other gear--whether its a bag, some older lenses, whatever.
2-the rumblings of something newer and better only a couple months off--yes, this probably might mean even the 100d is dated shortly, but i can learn with the more basic model and then see what I want to do.
still might flip-flop, its been known to happen, but i think some form of the k100d is the right move for me at the moment.

the other thing i did was review a lot of photo gallerys on line, here and at the pentax photo gallery site, and viewed pics taken using both bodies, and i came to the conclusion that either one will be capable of taking the images i dream of taking. its up to me to actually learn how to take them
11-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

2-the rumblings of something newer and better only a couple months off--yes, this probably might mean even the 100d is dated shortly, but i can learn with the more basic model and then see what I want to do.
If you are going to make your decision based upon budgetary concerns... it seems rather strange to me that you would then say that something newer and better would be another factor. Something newer and better will be far more expensive as well... and in all likelihood you can almost count upon it being more complex.

The k10d is NOT a difficult camera. It can be as easy as the other models in the Pentax line. My wife has one and I have one. It's our first dslr and we love it. If you want it to produce images like other dslrs right "out of the box" a simple change from natural to bright brings this effect. I personally like the default. There's nothing really difficult about the camera. In fact, in many ways it can be a more convenient camera to use because many of its options are not buried in menus. That is a huge plus.

In addition it is not really much more expensive than the 100d Super.

It just seems to me that your second reason for dismissing the k10d is without merit. Besides, it is pure speculation. There's a good chance this may not happen for some time to come and even if and when it does happen... who can say what form it will take?
11-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so I was a bit guilty of oversimplifying.

1-price is a concern. Not a huge one, but always a concern. I was trying to get a sweet deal on a used one, but there don't seem to be any to be had on this forum at the moment. New still isn't too bad
Yes, the 10d isn't a great deal more, but my fear is that I'll spend the money on a new 10d and within months, the newer model will be out and the prices will drop on the 10d. If I invest 300 or so in a 100d, I won't be stung as hard, and I could, in theory, know by spring of 08 if I want more camera or if I have enough. More like, get the 100d to make sure what I think I want to do actually will be done if I invest in the hobby. And then if I enjoy it as much as I hope, then I can invest more into the higher end, whatever it may be at that time. Maybe that explains it better?

I am not so worried about learning one versus the other. I will say this, having held each of them, I just think I liked the 100d better even though the differences are negligible. Could be because the 10d wasn't charged so I was just holding it, not actually demo-ing it.

And yes, true that while speculation is new models will be out early in 2008, or at least announced around then, I know it might not happen. But as explained above, I am leaning more toward learning and testing the low end first. I need to make sure that I will really use the camera more than just as a point and shoot--thats where a lot of my experience and recent use is, so I'm used to the lazy way.

Ultimately, I am still torn. Just, right now leaning toward the 100d is all.
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Yes, the 10d isn't a great deal more, but my fear is that I'll spend the money on a new 10d and within months, the newer model will be out and the prices will drop on the 10d. If I invest 300 or so in a 100d, I won't be stung as hard, and I could, in theory, know by spring of 08 if I want more camera or if I have enough.
Maybe. The original *ist, the one with a pentaprism and dual wheel control, sees to have retained its resale value better than the K100D-like models. I think this is likely also to be the case with the K10D, especially because I still think it's likely that the new models will be a K100D replacement and something either a step above or else comparable to but very differently-featured.