Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Diopter adjustment

I have a question about the diopter adjustment on my K-7 and also my previous camera, the K10D. These camera's should both have a diopter adjustment of -2.5 to +1.5.

My eyes are quite near-sighted (-2.75), but I wear glasses. Through the glasses my eyesight is normal.

Given this, I would expect to have to set the adjustment slide 0. And I would expect this setting to be slightly to the left (+) off the center setting, because it's from +1.5 to -2.5 and thus, 0 would not be exactly in the center. But to have a clear image, I have to set it all the way to the right (-)!

This is the case on both camera's. I've also had my colleague try it out (with normal eyesight, no glasses) and he also had the sharpest image with the diopter set all the way to the right.

Could someone explain to me what I'm missing here?

04-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I can't offer an explanation. I have a K-7, and with my glasses on, I also have the adjustment all the way to the right. I haven't had my eyes checked in a few years, but I am around -2.5, so a similar near sighted to you.
04-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe I have read the Pentax diopter at neutral is adjusted to -1 to compensate for optical conditions of the viewfinder. I am a glasses wearer, as well (+1.5) and I also need to correct the VF with the diopter. I actually use a +2 SMC Correction Lens Adapter on all my cameras and remove my glasses. On my K10D I move the diopter aadjustment lever one click right to get sharp LED's. My film camera fcusing is spot on with the adapters.
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I also cannot offer an explanation but I can tell you that I have 20/20 vision (without glasses) and my diopter is also all the way to the right. Seems like far right is the neutral setting maybe?

04-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #5

Your eyesight deteriorated since the last time you went to have your glasses made.
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Banned

For me 2 clicks to the left from the far right is the neutral.
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM - 7 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a wearer of bifocals, the diopter adjustment has been a god-send.

Recently, at a show, the Pentax representative indicated the proper way to set the diopter adjustment was to remove the lense look towards a light source and adjust the slide until the focus lines appeared clear in the viewfinder. The implication was the actual numerical strength of the adjustment was secondary to gaining comfortable functionality.

Previous to this "lesson" had always checked/set the diopter with the lense on and auto-focused on a detailed subject. Since adopting this new process, I find the images a little clearer and I can shoot without glasses on.

Al

04-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Recently, at a show, the Pentax representative indicated the proper way to set the diopter adjustment was to remove the lense look towards a light source and adjust the slide until the focus lines appeared clear in the viewfinder. The implication was the actual numerical strength of the adjustment was secondary to gaining comfortable functionality.
Great tip!

extra credit!
04-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As a wearer of bifocals, the diopter adjustment has been a god-send.

Previous to this "lesson" had always checked/set the diopter with the lense on and auto-focused on a detailed subject. Since adopting this new process, I find the images a little clearer and I can shoot without glasses on.

Al
thats the procedure I use have done for years and I wear multi focals all the time , the world is a blur at any distance with out them and my dioper setting on k10 and kr and previously kx all are exactly in the middle.
04-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #10

Hi

I use +2 diopter glasses, but I don't use them with the camera. With 2 or 3 steps to the left I am fine with my K10D (using the AF lines on the focussing screen as reference). I have to adjust an additional step using the Pentax viewfinder loupe. The camera seems to behave coherent with the correction my eyes need.

Cheers - Klaus
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #11

Photos: Albums

Al
Great tip, I've always done the auto-focus method. This comes up with the same result and is much faster and easier.
Thanks.
04-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information everyone! I guess the far right setting is neutral, what still puzzles me, is how to differentiate between + and - when setting it to the left. It seems to only be going +. Can't find any - setting. The reason I'd like to understand this, is that I want to use the camera without my glasses. -2.5 should be enough to provide a clear enough viewfinder for me. But I just can't seem to find how to set the viewfinder to -2.5.