Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #1

Used K20D, what to watch for...

I am going to buy an used K20D body, in good condition, 25k shots, spare battery, original box (cabels, papers...) but I can't get it in my hand and try it out because it an online buy!

What to watch for ? Sample photos ?... ?

04-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sample photos are OK, but ultimately the only way you'll know for sure is by shooting with it yourself. I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems with a good condition K20D - they are quite reliable and robust cameras.
04-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote
I am going to buy an used K20D body, in good condition, 25k shots, spare battery, original box (cabels, papers...) but I can't get it in my hand and try it out because it an online buy!

Its very true they are very reliable and completely (bug) trouble free. I have watched very closely all forums written in English and the Pentax K20D is one if not the most reliable dSLR considering the weather many are exposed to (they are pushed harder than most < $1800 dSLRs).

Shutter clicks is like miles on a car. Just because a car has 200,000 miles on it does not mean its going to break down but you would be foolish to believe you will get another trouble free 200,000 miles out of it. So the Pentax shutter is rated for 100,000 clicks. For most K20Ds 25,000 is a bit on the high side if your paying close to the normal asking price.

My K20D has 45,000 clicks on it and no problems. However I would have to discount it for the high shutter count. Moreover its that high becuase I am an extreamly heavy user who loves pushing the shutter button

Personally I would look for one with less than 15,000 clicks, just IMO gut feeling meaning less type of thing. But if your getting a good deal go for it and you will have plenty of life on that K20D.

There are no known problems with the K20D which is incredible given its over 3 years since its release.

You can ask if the owner has had it serviced or do all lens need AF fine tunning. AF can get out of whack on any camera so just make sure its working well; and of course the whole camera.

Enjoy when you do get your new dSLR!

Last edited by jamesm007; 04-23-2011 at 06:58 PM.
04-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Djsajmy Quote

Without the uncleanable dirty or scrathed sensor it is a fine camera, shutter count is not so important unless you are an avid photographer, making +20.000 frames a year, a good used K20D will serve for years. My favorite sample site is imaging-resource. Wish you luck on your decision.