Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

PL Filter / Indoor with Flash

Hallo

It's been a while for me to come up to this question, since Jan 2007 when I got the first DSLR which is D10K.

The beginning time, "bright" and "clear" lens was the priority and I never thought putting filter helps photography. But now I tried PL filter on sunny day, it took amazing photo!

How about using PL filter indoor with flash?

All readings I did saying, PL filter is an excellent tool for sunny outdoor shooting. I can not find anything saying it impove image quality when it is used indoor with flash.

Would anyone tell me it works, too?

zenzenyoyo

10-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, polarizing filters indoors with portable flash and studio strobes/floods has been around for many decades. It is often done with a combination of lens filter and gel filters on the light units. The general idea is to polarize the light coming from the light units and then match that polarization with a filter on the lens. The benefits are generally the same as polarizing filters used outdoors - reduced reflected light resulting in richer colors and less reflections on glassware and other shiny surfaces.

Most specialized online camera outlets, such as B&H, Porters, etc, sell polarizing gels in various sizes, from small ones to fit over a portable flash to really large ones for studio strobes and floods. Of course, the normal screw-on filter (or square Cokin type) would go onto the camera lens.

In fact, there is even some, much more limited, benefit to be gained by using a polarizing filter indoors with existing light. However, it is difficult to get consistent results due to the various number and types of light, and the many, varied, surfaces (walls, etc) light is reflected from. All this results in extremely unpredictable polarization of the light falling on your subject, meaning it is usually a waste of time to even try this. Polarizing with flash is much easier and more predictable.

stewart
10-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hallo Stewart

Thank you for your advise. Whenever I talk to person like you (very well experienced photographer, maybe a pro?), I feel so embarassed being so ignorant, but at same time, I am so enlightened!! Tomorrow, we have halloween party at work and I will take shots indoor with flash, this new "technique", I will enjoy great result for sure!

By the way, I have visited Heidelberg a couple of years ago, it was one of the best scenery in the trip to Europe then. I regret I did not start photography hobby then..... But I am planning to visit Germany in the new year, this time with Pentax. It definately make the visit much more interesting and exciting!

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo
10-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a small article about this with images
Lighting: Filter Factor - - PopPhotoOctober 2007

10-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zenzenyoyo Quote
Thank you for your advise. Whenever I talk to person like you (very well experienced photographer, maybe a pro?), I feel so embarassed being so ignorant, but at same time, I am so enlightened!!

You're welcome. And, by the way, inexperience is not ignorance. Instead, ignorance is the result of not asking and not trying to learn. And you obviously don't have that problem.

QuoteQuote:
Tomorrow, we have halloween party at work and I will take shots indoor with flash, this new "technique", I will enjoy great result for sure!

Halloween parties are always fun. However, before trying this at the party, make sure you fully understand the process. You need two filters - a filter on the camera and a second gel filter on the flash. One filter without the other will not work. The gel filter is marked with it's direction of polarization, which you use to set the polarizing filter on the lens. You'll then need to do a little experimenting, trying different angles with the lens filter to discover the best results. Once you have the correct angles, you then simply setup the filters the same each time afterwards. The article Andreas ("and") so kindly linked to covers the basics in a little more detail.

QuoteQuote:
By the way, I have visited Heidelberg a couple of years ago, it was one of the best scenery in the trip to Europe then. I regret I did not start photography hobby then..... But I am planning to visit Germany in the new year, this time with Pentax. It definately make the visit much more interesting and exciting!

Of course, I think Heidelberg and the surrounding areas are quite attractive, offering nearly everything which makes Germany unique - castle, old buildings, new buildings, old churches, river, barge ships on river, parks, pedestrian shopping street, roadside cafes & food stands, festivals, fountains, statues, museums, trains & streetcars, university filled with young students, sunbathers at river, modern zoo, bicycle & walking paths, wine & hops gardens, breweries, and more.

The town sits at the edge of the famous black and old forests, offering nearby vistas of hills and valleys, mountain cottages, streams, water-driven grain mills, and more. And, finally, the area's weather is seasonal with spring flowers, summer sunshine, fall colors, and winter snow.

stewart
10-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Stewart:

I have read a lot of your replies (btw, they are excellent), and never really noticed that you are in Heidelberg. Guess I was too busy looking at the model instead. When I worked for the Army, I lived in Heidelberg twice: 1976-1979 in St. Ilgen with my office at Campbell Barracks, and 1983-1986 in Eppelheim and my office was on the Hauptstrasse. Absolutely loved my 6 years there. My wife and I and our 2 sons traveled extensively througout Europe and I thought it was a tremendous experience for all of us. My wife is an Army brat and her dad was stationed in France, before DeGaulle kicked everyone out. I traveled extensively work wise (out on Monday morning & back on Friday afternoon), so I got to see a lot of Germany, Holland, England, Belgium, and Italy (USAREUR responsibilities). We came back to the states when my older son was to begin his junior year in HS, but I wish we could have extended for another 2 years.

I was there when the DM hit a low of 1.42 and a high of 3.3 -- what a swing!! I am retired from the government and work full time for a contractor and on a recent assignment, I had the opportunity to return for a 3-week period to Germany (USAEUR HQ, Kaiserlautern, and Stuttgart), and Naples, Italy. What a shock to exchange my $100 bill and get 67 euros in exchange.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but just wanted to tell you that you live in a beautiful place. Would definitely like to take another boat ride up the Nekar River and watch the burning of the castles.
10-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is my third time in Germany, Tom. I was stationed here with the Army. We visited again in 1978 and stayed ten years. During that time, I worked as a sales rep for several stereo & camera companies, visiting the Heidelberg AAFES Sound Center many times. I also worked as a store supervisor at the Sound Center off and on during that period. If you visited the Sound Center during the early to mid 80's, or Audio Club during the late 70's, you most certainly saw me. My wife worked at various civilian jobs with the Army and I worked for the marketing agency handling Apple Computers (General Manager, Europe) during the late 80's.

We stayed in Vicenza Italy for two years in the late 90's and returned to Germany once again two years ago. This time I'm doing photography full time while my wife again works as a civilian employee for the Army (Financial Management Analyst at 5th Signal Cmd in Mannheim). And, since we figure it is easier to visit the states than constantly moving back here, this time we plan to remain in Europe. Just not sure where at this point. Trying to decide between England, Southern Spain, and right here in Germany.

And, yes, Europe amd Germany are certainly not the bargains they once were. The exchange rate has leveled off at about .69 euros for a dollar. But there is still much to see and do that costs very little or nothing, ensuring Europe remains a popular tourist destination.

stewart

11-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Stewart: We probably did cross paths at the Audio Clubs and/or Sound Centers. I purchased my sound system from the Sound Center in Heidelberg in either 1977 or 1978. I remember checking between both activities to see who had the better deal. The main thing I remember is that while they both had the same system, the audio club had it in black and the sound center had it in silver -- seems like there might have been a slight differenece in the model #, i.e., Pioneer SX-750 vs SX-751. There weren't allowed to have the same identical items because they were in competiton. I bought my Minolta SRT-101 from the audio club at Ramstein. Still have it, but it doesn't work. I shot a ton of 35mm slides during my tours, and one of my current projects is getting all of them loaded onto my computer. So many slides, so little time.

I worked for the Army Audit Agency and did an audit at the command where your wife works. During my 83-86 tour, we had an office at Sensheim (?) Barracks.

Thanks for the reply.
11-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I also have a few slides still needing conversion. Funny, there never seems to be a good time to do it. I've converted some as needed, but there are still many more to go.

Well, that's probably enough personal reminiscing in the public forums. Take care, Tom.

stewart