Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Upgrde from *ist DL2?

All,

I have an *ist DL2 that I have had for about 9 months and I haven't spent much time with it honestly. I am finding myself more and more interested in the hobby and wanting to learn more.

I have been shooting in RAW primarily and I am still learning about post processing and such, but I feel I don't really understand the basics of photography or composition.

My question is, should I upgrade to a new body right now with the rebates and all or spend my money on a better lens? I'm always up for new gadgets so I tend to lean towards a new body, but I nead some other opinions.

If I go with a new body, I want something that will last me a while so I am not considering doing this again in another 9 months. I can afford to do the K10D kit and any lenses will have to wait for a while.

Either way, what lenses would you guy recomend for someone getting started? I have been doing some reading on here and it seems the Tamron 18 - 250 is highly recommended for an all-around lense and something like a 28 - 75 f/2.8 might work great for an indoor lens...

Help!

10-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjg Quote
All,

I have an *ist DL2 that I have had for about 9 months and I haven't spent much time with it honestly. I am finding myself more and more interested in the hobby and wanting to learn more.

I have been shooting in RAW primarily and I am still learning about post processing and such, but I feel I don't really understand the basics of photography or composition.

My question is, should I upgrade to a new body right now with the rebates and all or spend my money on a better lens? I'm always up for new gadgets so I tend to lean towards a new body, but I nead some other opinions.
Help!
If you don't understand the basics of photography or composition, getting a new SLR body is a waste of money.

Get a fast lens. Either a fast zoom (28-70/2.8 or 16-50/2.8) or a fast prime (FA 28/2.8, FA 35/2, FA 50/1.4) of a focal length that you use a lot. Learn how aperture affects the image, how depth of field works. Learn how focal length affects an image. Look at the EXIF information that accompanies each image. Use a tripod.

Don't buy another body until you are held back by the one you have. The K10D will not make you a better photographer. In fact, it may make things harder for you.
10-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your body is just fine - get more lenses. There will alaways be new bodies coming along and you can always upgrade that part anytime. Buy the lenses so they will carry from body to body. But first learn what you have in your hands.
10-31-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got to agree with everyone else. The DL is a good learning tool. Bodies will come and go, but good glass you will keep a lot longer, and have a larger impact on your photography.

10-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
rjg
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas guys... Do you have any suggestions for materials that will help me learn? Tutorials or otherwise? There is so much information I don't really know where to begin...

Also, while using the camera this weekend taking some shots, I ended up with some pics that have some crazy black lines in the middle of the pics. Not all pics, but one in particular is very pronounced. I will attach it so you can see what I am talking about. I need some ideas about what this might be?

-Robert
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
10-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
rjg
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Arjay,

You have some great pictures on your blog... Nice work!
11-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks Robert - I'll update it sometime - its now about a year out of date .

Those lines look like the lines I had when my Canon A70 started having writing errors. I would get it checked!!! Or is this a reason for getting a new body - if they were nice about it Pentax may even have to help you out under warranty.

Just had another thought - as you were standing very near the controller of the radio controlled aircraft perhaps you could have picked up some static or interference as the images were written. Is that even possible ?

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 11-01-2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: addition
11-01-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with other posters here. If you are still not sure, and want to learn more, save on body. DL2 is good one. I nearly got one too, but then K100D came along. Anyway, get good lens, and explore your interrests in photography. If it will really grasp you, then get new body...
11-01-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
rjg
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have taken photos there before without any issues and yes, it was one of the reasons I was considering a new body. I also have about 6 pictures on the SD card that no piece of software can decode, they all say there is an error in the image, but the appear fine on the camera preview...

I just don't want to risk taking some shots and having them ruined... KWIM?

Oh yeah, I double checked and my body is actually the DL, not the DL2, I don't know if that matters...
11-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

DL2 is almost (apart from cosmetics) the same as the K110D- possibly a tweaked process algorithm in the later model but some commentators seem to think the tweaks were already present in the DL2 before the 110 came out. There were only a few months between them and the DL2 was sold in very limited markets.

Good luck with your decision. Service needed by the sound of it.
11-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #11

Robert, I have to echo the other comments that the DL2 is a fine camera, and it's not worth upgrading until you actually begin to outgrow its capacities. Since the DL2 has terrific support for a wide variety of lenses (I'm particularly fond of the secondhand Takumars I've purchased), that will be quite a while. Best thing you can do is get a fast secondhand lens (like a 50mm f/1.4) and practice low-light shooting.

As for the black lines... There are three possibilities:

- The camera is wonky.

- The memory card is wonky.

- The USB reader/cable is wonky.

My guess is likely the memory card is at fault. Change it first and see what happens. If the lines don't go away, try transferring the files from the camera to an entirely different computer. If they are still there, then it's the camera.
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would recommend to you to keep the body you currently have, and obtain a K or M series 28mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/2.8 lens. You will be able to get one of those very inexpensively. Then, sign up for Photography 101 at your local community college.

If you really, really want to learn photography, shoot in only manual mode with a "normal" field-of-view fixed focal length lens for at least six-months. Taking the class will teach you the theory. Things like the balance between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO; basic composition elements, basic lighting, maybe even post processing techniques.

Even if you only audit the class, you will learn all the fundamental elements of the discipline. Reading books are okay, but there is nothing like the subtle pressure of class attendance and assignments to get one motivated.
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
rjg
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guys, thanks for the additional information!

Are there any lenses that are current that I should consider? I have a $400 gift certificate to Amazon and I don't mind adding a bit of money too..
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjg Quote
Guys, thanks for the additional information!
You're welcome. We need to 'help' each other.

QuoteQuote:
Are there any lenses that are current that I should consider? I have a $400 gift certificate to Amazon and I don't mind adding a bit of money too..
Since you really don't know what your 'style' is yet, and you have 400 bucks, and assuming you have the kit lens (18-55) already, my recommendation to you would be to get the second half of the kit (DA50-200) and the FA50/1.4 lens. Together, it will be a little over than 400, but not by much.

With such a kit, you will have from 18mm to 200mm covered in two fairly decent lenses and have a pretty fast lens for interior, flashless opportunities. You'll be pretty well set up until that day when your abilities surpass the capabilities of your DL.
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
rjg
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is there any downside to using the screw mount lenses? It looks like some of them are a bargain by looking at fleabay...