Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Need Installation CD k-x

Hi, long story short, I'm in need of an Installation cd that comes with the k-x. Have sent request to Pentax but no response back yet. Any way you can help me with this issue? Even a .msi download would be great..Thanks: Jim

04-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can download the software from Pentax's site: Click on Cameras, then DSLR, then chose the K-x that you have from the list. Then check mark the software option and click on Submit.

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Might I ask why you need the installaton CD? I use a memory card reader to upload photos to my computer. The Pentax editing software just doesn't do anything for me, and I use FastStone as an image editor.
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wrong forum, FYI. Moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You can download the software from Pentax's site: Click on Cameras, then DSLR, then chose the K-x that you have from the list. Then check mark the software option and click on Submit.

Might I ask why you need the installaton CD? I use a memory card reader to upload photos to my computer. The Pentax editing software just doesn't do anything for me, and I use FastStone as an image editor.
The "software" on the Pentax websites are updates only -
you have to have the original Pentax DCU from the CD already installed for those updates to work.

from: Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
QuoteQuote:
PREPARATION
  • You must have version 4x of the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility software installed in order to download and install this update.
Pentax DCU tends to be looked down because it's supplied "free" with every Pentax dSLR -
but it is the only software (other than perhaps full SilkyPix which PDCU is based on) that actually can replicate Pentax dSLR camera control settings - and the only one I know that can easily match the paired JPG when shooting RAW+JPG.

I know, who wants to match the JPG anyway?
BUT if RAW were so powerful and flexible -
why can't any RAW processor/converter do such a simple thing as matching the humble paired JPG?

Despite being a subset of the full SilkyPix I have found PDCU very powerful and flexible for RAW conversion, doing quite a few things well that other more "powerful" converters cannot do as simply.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 04-24-2011 at 08:45 AM.
04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Jim,
If you are still in need of the disc I can upload it tonight. It's already on my PC as a backup. Send me a PM.
04-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

The only reason I though I needed it was I don't know what's on it as I never got a chance to view it. Another member has offered me a download copy of his disk so I will get with him shortly. Thank you all for the interest and responses. A friendly bunch I can see from all the offers and info I received from my first post. Thanks to all.........Jim
05-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am sorry. I didn't know because I didn't use mine, didn't realize the one on Pentax's site was updates only. Glad you got (hope you did) one that you needed.

05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing worth the effort is on there You want light room if you need software.
04-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

I own Photoshop and iPhoto - they let me download images from the camera, so I don't need that kind of capability - but ...
I had a Canon G7 previously, and the Canon software on the disc let me see the Camera settings and actually do some configuration.

That was what I was hoping was available via the Pentax K-x software disc I did not get with mine.

And yes, the Ricoh JP and US sites have the software updater (requires original software to be installed) and the Firmware updater.

I have a MacPro.
04-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can do this from the downloads but have to trick the software into thinking the cd is in a drive.
This can be done by renaming a usb drive.
See Corros' Photo Blog: How to install Pentax Digital Camera Utility
04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You can do this from the downloads but have to trick the software into thinking the cd is in a drive.
This can be done by renaming a usb drive.
See Corros' Photo Blog: How to install Pentax Digital Camera Utility
I was going to say something like "I have a Mac and not a PC and the CorrosBlog site talks about msi files and MicroSoftInstaller files don't apply on a Mac" -
but I held my tongue and gave it a try - I had downloaded the Mac ZIP file from Ricoh earlier today and when I tried then it would not install on my mac (OSX mavericks).
But I unzipped the file and got a pkg file, copied all the files to a Thumb drive, r
enamed it like corros said and clicked the pkg file on the thumb drive and darned if the install process didn't work just so!

I now have the software installed on the mac!

Thank you thank you so much for offering help!

(I can't go further until the USB cable I ordered comes from Amazon) !
04-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I regularly forget about the PC vs Mac angle, glad to hear it worked for you.
04-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Nothing worth the effort is on there You want light room if you need software.
Yeah, the supplied CD is pretty much worthless. Lightroom is an awesome piece of software, but it's spendy.
04-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with UnknownVT on this one. Lightroom is great if shooting RAW, but if you shoot JPEG even infrequently, PDCU lets you easily evaluate all of the custom JPEG setting your Pentax camera has to offer. With PDCU, you can quickly determine if you prefer JPEGs using the natural, bright, vivid, muted, etc., setting and then how you'd like to modify that choice with plus or minus adjustments to hue, saturation, contrast and sharpening. Just take a couple of RAW images, load them into PDCU, and determine your preferences. Different scenes or subjects likely require different JPEG settings, so you'll likely need a number of custom combinations for various shooting situations. Jot down the setting you like and plug them into the camera when the need arises.