Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
OK, then the fault is in your TC.
There are no TC's that re-calculate the effective focal length of the attached lens. TC's simply pass data from the lens to the camera.

Pentax could allow the user to override the FL in firmware, but so far, they have not chosen to do so. I suspect that they are worried that some will not understand how it works and will use the override function when it is not appropriate, causing bad feelings and possibly unneccessary warranty claims.

Since Pentax does not currently make a TC, they apparently are reluctant to expend much effort to support them.

For that matter, I don't know that any other camera has that ability, or the ability to re-calculate the FL when using a TC.

04-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, well, it did seem Sterretje has such a TC, but there's that. It shouldn't be too hard to simply defeat the appropriate contact on the TC, and manually-input then? Pretty sure my A lenses prompt for input-FL and retain function.
04-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You were mistaken I have M42 TCs
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, well, it did seem Sterretje has such a TC, but there's that. It shouldn't be too hard to simply defeat the appropriate contact on the TC, and manually-input then? Pretty sure my A lenses prompt for input-FL and retain function.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that some A-series lenses do not tell the camera what their focal length is. In that case, the camera would ask the photographer to supply it.

04-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
There are no TC's that re-calculate the effective focal length of the attached lens. TC's simply pass data from the lens to the camera.
I've posted the question (specifically asking non-Pentax users) on both a local forum (mostly Canon and Nikon users) and a dutch forum with the question what a modern TC would do. Got an answer on each and both confirm that the TC will do the multiplication and report 420mm in the EXIF for a 300mm lens with a 1.4x TC.

TC question for Nikon and Canon users
Dutchphotozone • Onderwerp bekijken - vraagje met betrekking tot TCs aan niet-Pentax gebruikers (sorry, in dutch)

For Pentax however you might be right. I've just checked the Sigma website ( Tele Converter matching list ). It depends on the camera system and the lens if the TC will do the multiplication; but for Pentax there is indeed no multiplication with any TC/lens combination. Canon and Nikon users have it a lot better and Sony users a little.
04-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I may be mistaken, but I believe that some A-series lenses do not tell the camera what their focal length is. In that case, the camera would ask the photographer to supply it.
Well, that's what I was saying. I was therefore surmising there'd have to be a way to simulate an A lens to be able to manually input the focal length.