Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
what about in camera tripod mount IS

This probibly does not bother most but i find it very difficult.
I wounder if an in camera IS is going to be in the pentax cameras any time soon? By that i mean IS when mounted on a tripod. So you would have two modes of IS one hand held and one for tripod work.
When shooting on a tripod it would be nice to have a system like nikon and canon. For mirror slap and minor adjustments. While mounted on a tripod.
Has anyone heard of anything like this yet?

Last edited by garyk; 04-23-2011 at 10:50 PM.
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

In-camera IS? That's what SR on Pentax is. On Canon and Nikon IS is in-lens. Not sure what you're trying to say... And you're supposed to turn off any stabilization system when using camera on a tripod (it supposedly overcompensates when there's no need for stabilization).
As for mirror slap.. Mirror lockup?
04-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're moving the camera around while on a tripod, then you can just leave SR on (or OS if using Sigma lenses). By default it turns off only when you're using MLU/self-timer (which is actually very clever).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you point to the manual / user guide / spec of a canon or nikon that has that? So I can understand what you're talking about. And what are those minor adjustments that you mention?

I've always been told to switch SR off (the Pentax manuals also specifically state that) and therefore assumed that one is supposed to switch SR/IS/VR/... off when using a tripod.

And to be honest, you don't get much steadier than a (decent) tripod). So I don't see a need for SR when using a tripod. But as I don't quite understand what you're talking about, I might be missing something.

And yes, Pentax has mirror lockup as already mentioned. What it does not, have to my knowledge, is mirror lockup where the mirror stays up between shots. And I think some top level Canons (and possibly Nikons) have that functionality.

04-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When i look at the canon and nikon super telephoto lenses they list two modes of IS.
One with the lens mounted on a tripod and one with the lens hand held which gives you about 3-4 stops.
When shooting on a tripod with a super-telephoto lens, Above 300mm for example and especially with a T.C. on the lens. I get unwanted shake and bluring when shooting fast action.
Canon and Nikon have a feature built into there lenses for this kind of problem. They have a tripod mode and a hand held mode.

When i shoot a 500mm lens with a t.c. on it i rarely get a good shot even locked down. with mirror lock up it helps but still it is not an option most of the time. If shooting action you cannot lock the mirror up and shoot. Not an option.

So Adam is saying leave the SR on when shooting action on a tripod? Is this something you do? If so i will try it and see. I used to leave it on all the time but now i leave it off all the time. And see really good results when on a tripod and locked down without a T.C.... With a t.c. the algorithems are all wrong and i still get bluring when IS is on..
I will try again to use SR on when shooting action on a tripod. I rarely use a lens without a tripod and will try SR again now... thanks.

Last edited by garyk; 04-24-2011 at 12:22 AM.
04-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Your post (#5) is slightly confusing.

You leave SR off and you get good results on a tripod without a TC. Next you add a TC and switch SR on and you get poor results?

Is that what you're saying? If so, I would suggest to leave it off. But I guess that that is not what you're saying.

Are we talking an MF lens or an AF lens. Which TC? Which make and type of lens? If AF, check the EXIF data to see if the correct focal length is indicated (500mm x 1.4TC should give 700mm in the exif); maybe the TC does not use the multiplier when passing the focal length of the lens.

What kind of subjects are we talking about and which distances?

You are aware that at long distances and with the magnifications of long lenses, the environment between you and the subject will highly influence the quality of a shot. I'm not quite sure what that's called in english (I would say the quality of the air and it might give some haziness). When I look through a telescope while observing birds, I can see the air vibrate between me and the subject.

PS Thanks for clarifying which option you meant for Canon/Nikon
04-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry it is a bit confusing..
I use an autofocus lens with a non reporting t.c..

That is another good point.
Is there a t.c. that reports for the Pentax system and allowes for Af?
If so that will help me alot. Now i use sigma 500mm lens and a matching t.c. that does not report. So you see the problem. SR is useless there.

Also i know about problem with distances and distortion of the image. that is not a problem. I shoot at close distances. I shoot birds and have to be pretty close even for a 500mm lens.

I went out today and did some quick tests on static objects and found with SR off. It is a bit better than with the t.c. and SR on... I think anyway.

So 500mm + 1.4x t.c. 700mm with or without SR poor results. Even with locking down the tripod. I use a gimble head and manforoto tripod... Heavy duty. So even the slightest touch affects the quality of photo. at 700mm.

That is why the question of, is Pentax ever going to make a body with in camera SR for tripod work. I think canon and nikon have the problem licked. But it is a real struggle for me.

Now the pentax body see's the lens and SR workes very good in my opinion with the bare lens. even at 500mm and hand held it workes..
Great there. but when adding a t.c. it really drops fast.
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you using a cable release or IR remote? If not, do so; your touching of any part of the system in that setup will cause vibrations that can affect the quality.
Further Pentax SR can't do much if focal length is reported incorrectly. So you will probably be better of without it.

I don't think any of us have insight in what Pentax is going to produce next.

I can't be of much more help, I'm afraid. Maybe others still have ideas.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.
04-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
When i look at the canon and nikon super telephoto lenses they list two modes of IS.
One of those modes is for panning while on a tripod. I think that is what you are asking about. Some Sigma lenses have it. Pentax never will with the current design.
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, there are full-functionality TCs for AF, Gary.

Also, if you are using a TC without the contacts, just input the total FL manually for the SR system, like any other lens that can't do that for itself.
04-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

And if you ever wonder if Pentax dSLRs can handle long glass properly

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/98861-sports-*1200-sports.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/92561-nature-first-run-*1200.html

A*1200 MF lens
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow that is a huge lens. Nice images with a big setup. Shooting fast moving birds and using a cable release is out of the question.
Ratmagiclady, I would love to input the FL into the camera but the camera see's the lens and disables that function..
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That shouldn't be: those details about what body, what lens, and what TC? If the lens is recognized, it's recognized, I should think, and if it's not the camera should ask for an input focal length. (Also, answers to questions asked earlier about what the EXIF says the FL is at?)
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ratmagiclady, it reconizes the lens and disables the input function for lens MM. When i add a sigma 1.4 T.C. it still only sees the lens not the T.C. . So it disables the input function and reports 500mm when actually it is 700mm. So the SR function does not work properly.

I am going to go back and read an old post of mine about taping pins on the T.c.

Thanks

Last edited by garyk; 04-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.
04-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

OK, then the fault is in your TC.