Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K200D Focus Sticking

Anyone experienced the K200D focus "Sticking"

Problem:
Manually focus to mimimal focus distance... press shutter half way to AF... camera briefly locks focus... when shutter is fully depressed the camera winds the focus all the way to infinity and takes a blurry picture. After that the lens is "stuck" at infinity.

Trouble shooting:
- This happens with ALL lens types... DA*, FA*, DA, Ltd etc
- After the lens gets "stuck" at infinity you need to manually try to force it past infinity and then bring it back to shorter focal distances.
- with screw drive lenses there is forceable resistance when trying to unstick the focus ring. Once is has broken free it spins freely. With SDM lenses since there is a clutch the focus simply does not turn until you wind it further to infinity and then bring it back

Any help is appreciated...

Chris

04-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You shouldn´t be forcing the focus ring, you´re going to break the lenses & the AF motor.

It sounds to me like the AF system is simply not finding anything to focus on. It needs something with contrast, and the K200D AF systems is not the best (I have one). Having said that, there may be a problem with the AF, it certainly doesn´t sound like the source of the trouble is the lenses.

Are you saying it always does this even when there is something with contrast directly in front of the lens for it to focus on?
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The focus gets "Stuck"... literally. it has nothing to do with contrast.

Applying "force" is a relative thing. If I had to apply significant torque I would not force it... but I need to apply "some" force to get it unstuck.
04-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K200D does not do that. Sounds like a gear problem. The gear/motor assembly hangs off of the mirror box and looks like a complicated repair. PM me if you would like a parts diagram for the K200D.

04-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've sent it in for repair via Pentax Professional Services... thanks for the offer.
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I just got the repair estimate. A rather unhelpful document that says the Autofocus will be "repaired or replaced" and it will cost $240... ouch. Might be time for a new camera.
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
So I just got the repair estimate. A rather unhelpful document that says the Autofocus will be "repaired or replaced" and it will cost $240... ouch. Might be time for a new camera.
If you buy new - what do you want for the broken K200D? PM me if interested.