Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 05:57 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The K10D does have a reasonable focus screen, probably not worth going for a split screen.

12-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the FA 50mm 1.4 and the Tamron 90 f2.8 are great lenses, but kinda different. I use the Tamron as a short tele, along with it's macro. It's also a good face portrait lens as you can stay far enough away from your subject so that you sitting on their nose (so to speak) It's macro capabilties are really good too. The FA 50 f1.4 is the sharpest lens in my bag, especially around 5.6, tho it's still pretty good wide open too. And it's low light capability is great!
Here is a photo I took of a moving toy train at a holiday train show at the New York Botanical Gardens. If you do a resize you can easily see the writing on the coal carrier "Scrooge Colleries" "Nice Coal for Naughty Children" :-) Taken with the FA 50 1/350 at f1.4 ISO 400. On a relatively cloudy afternoon inside under some a fair amount of vegetation.

NaCl(great lens for indoor shots)H2O
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

east (***) saltwater??? The "I wasted my time" thread was fun, wasn't it!
Like your play on sigs..
12-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
That surprises me, how do you get focusing errors with a manual focus lens?

Focus indicator going off when not focused?

I ignore the focus indicator when using manual manual lenses wide open, and depend on getting the sharpest image on the focusing screen.

I think that's where the problem arises. For SLR manual focusing to work, the distance of the optical path from the lens to the correct surface of the focusing screen has to be precisely the same as the distance of the optical path from the lens to the surface of the sensor. I think there is still a bit of variation in that. (Totally ignoring the auto-focus system here.)

I also suspect that with this lens there is a shift in the focus point as you change the aperture, with all other variables fixed. I'll test that over the next couple of days.

12-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, to be truthful, I think Phil whines as much as some of the people he complains about whining. I really do think he needs to develop emotional distance from the posters. He even accused me of accusing him of bias! All I can say is that it's more fun here

NaCl(and thanks for the compliment about my sig)H2O
12-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well, to be truthful, I think Phil whines as much as some of the people he complains about whining. I really do think he needs to develop emotional distance from the posters. He even accused me of accusing him of bias! All I can say is that it's more fun here

NaCl(and thanks for the compliment about my sig)H2O
His meows, duhs and Sads, etc leaves him wide open and he can hardly complain for the responses he gets.
12-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #22

Lets see some pics from this new gem!

12-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dleung Quote
Lets see some pics from this new gem!
I have been posting, already won a contest on Flickr. :-)
12-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #24

Actually, I was talking to ChrisN and his new 50 f1.2 Nice pics you have though.
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dleung Quote
Actually, I was talking to ChrisN and his new 50 f1.2 Nice pics you have though.
Of course you were!

But seeing as I started the thread I thought I better answer, ChrisN can't come to the PC right now anyway cos he has a new lens and is using it.
12-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #26

Actually I'd planned to get out this afternoon to give it a good try, but something has popped up to prevent that. I will post some images, but it might take a few days.
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Actually I'd planned to get out this afternoon to give it a good try, but something has popped up to prevent that. I will post some images, but it might take a few days.
You will need it this afternoon, not very bright out there. Looks like being dull right through to Christmas.
12-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #28

Posted some sample pics here