Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
D5100 is here - what would be Pentax answer

D5100 is here, supportively having the same sensor as D7000 (and K5) at just $799.

Just wondering what would be the Pentax answer? New mid level camera between k-r and k-5 with new sensor is unlikely very soon.

04-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
D5100 is here, supportively having the same sensor as D7000 (and K5) at just $799.

Just wondering what would be the Pentax answer? New mid level camera between k-r and k-5 with new sensor is unlikely very soon.
It may have the same sensor as K5, but otherwise it's a joke. It doesn't even have an AF motor in body lol.
04-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nuts.
04-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-r replacement is due in September... but yeah could use a k300d in the mean time imo.
I would buy a Sony A580 today if i was looking at entry level and had no glass.

04-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If k5 has articulated screen and one touch botton for video recording. Than it would be perfect...
04-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #6

My understanding is that Pentax does not answer to anything. Their models are always punching above their class.

I guess that's because they make the most of a two-model lineup.

Just my 2c.
04-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

It will be interesting to see what Pentax comes up with as the next entry level replacement. I am sure that some small retails will be looked at to help refine the next model. Is it worth it for people to upgrade? Time will tell. I am happy using my K-m and get fine results with it. At some point I will be looking for a replacement but right now.

04-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Kr or K5

Pentax systems never sit on exactly the same level as the Canikons.
Which is what makes a Pentax a value for money camera for those who do the proper research.

If I was on a budget and a bit knowledgeable buyer who wants a DSLR,the Nikon D3100 and D5100 are certainly the last on the list. Not the cheapest camera, not the highest spec (at least on paper) and no AF motor to get those cheap plastic fantastics (35/1.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8)

If I had no knowledge and wanted to jump on the DSLR bandwagon, I'd most likely choose Canon. Better advertising, more megapix (yes, that sells cameras), cheaper lenses.

Now, if I really know my stuff, I'd get that indie brand 'Pentax'
Or rather wait for the Kr replacement that usually follows in Sept-Oct
04-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Isn't the Kr Pentas'x answer to the low end?
I dunno, it seems Pentax isn't going with the same 'levels' as everyone else: the 'low end' models are hardly as 'low' as the 'low end' of the bigger brands: it seems they're the ones who keep coming out with models to 'compete' with Pentaxes: they didn't *have* a direct 'answer' to the K-5 and K-7 type till after Pentax did it.

I still think they could do well by making the likes of a 'K-r' Super, or whatever the small model is, adding things like weathersealing (If they can't just put that in the base models already) and maybe a top LCD, ...that way they could concentrate on developing and tooling for fewer cameras, but still vary the feature set between the budget/entry-level skill level and the outdoorsey/starter-hobbyist/I-just-want-it-smaller crowd. (It seems there's a lot of those: folks who like the smaller body but wish it had WR and maybe a few other external features) They've already set up for making and selling a bunch of different-colored cases: it seems like it shouldn't be too much of a job to start making *variant* cases with the same basic stuff inside.
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dear Pentaxian Friends, we tend to forget (8) major design aspects of a dslr:- a) Penta Prism for a bright viewfinder and NOT penta mirror, 2) AF Motor built into the body as a MUST, with an option for SDM lens drive, 3) IS/Shake Reduction/Steady shot built into the body as opposed to expensive in-lens systems, 4) a good noise reduction ability at ISO 1600, 5) reasonable low light AF, 6) a large buffer to allow minimum (6) Raw + JPEG shots, 7) compulsory sealing against dust on the mirror, sensor and viewfinder, 8) reasonable battery life say 600 shots,
These should be the minimum basis of comparing DSLRs across brands. Of course there are many other parameters, but then the technical comparative would run into pages.
04-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #11

I don't believe Pentax has an answer, since the market is different. Nikon has powerful marketing and store presence, and my 2 cents: most of the people who buy 5100 have no idea what an AF motor is and would not buy more than 2-3 lenses ever.
Based on my experience, i was choosing K-x after extended research. Had no idea who Pentax is, bought it for the price-features ratio. If it would have been less than is, i would have never bought Pentax. My guess is that Pentax gets a share (not big) of the people who know (sort of) what they want in a camera.
04-25-2011, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax is the RC Cola of the camera industry. It is not in Pentax's best interest to try to slug it out with the big two. RC Cola has done just fine (for over a hundred years) without trying to slug it out against Coke and Pepsi. Much better to carve out a niche and fulfill the needs of that niche, which I think Pentax does and does well. Just my opinion.
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

have you heard about that new..ehhww mmm 5D mkII???
where is the pentax answer to that!! LOL
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Dear Pentaxian Friends, we tend to forget (8) major design aspects of a dslr:- a) Penta Prism for a bright viewfinder and NOT penta mirror, 2) AF Motor built into the body as a MUST, with an option for SDM lens drive, 3) IS/Shake Reduction/Steady shot built into the body as opposed to expensive in-lens systems, 4) a good noise reduction ability at ISO 1600, 5) reasonable low light AF, 6) a large buffer to allow minimum (6) Raw + JPEG shots, 7) compulsory sealing against dust on the mirror, sensor and viewfinder, 8) reasonable battery life say 600 shots,
These should be the minimum basis of comparing DSLRs across brands. Of course there are many other parameters, but then the technical comparative would run into pages.
I would add decent video capability as a basic requirement and AF during video as a big plus.
04-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
If k5 has articulated screen ...
Here here, I'd love to frame real high perspective (crowds, etc) or low perspective shots like this:

from a pentax user on dpreview

Last edited by Eruditass; 06-02-2011 at 10:28 AM.