Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RML's Panic Settings

So, it's occurred to me lately that I'm just not using my USER setting on my K20d, and I've always thought it'd be a good feature to have a 'Panic button' that'd change camera settings to something optimized for sudden must-get-the-shot photojournalistic occurrences that might turn up when I'm doing funny artistical things or whatnot. My thought is that it'd be for any occasion that might occur when I may need to blaze off a bunch of shots, possibly even blindly.

So, I've been thinking of what to actually set there (I'll have to look up again what the USER mode actually governs, it's been a while, ) ...I figure, I'd want it to kick the drive mode up to Hi, maybe shrink the file-sizes, possibly bracket like mad ..and hopefully defeat any custom Jpeg settings I may have been using. (Not sure the latter two are possible)

Can't decide if I should include auto-ISO or just set it pretty high, for one, but I thought it might be a fun conversation topic.

I do think it'd be more fun just to have a button labeled 'Panic,' but this'll have to do.

What you think?

04-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If I remember correctly USER saves pretty much every thing set when you save it to user mode.

04-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I recall, "F8 and be there!" was one classic solution.

At risk for committing heresy here, but don't the despised SCENIC modes, combined with SR, AF and CW metering offer multiple options to satisfy that need to some limited, but practical, extent? (Oops, a serious "flaw" in the Pro bodies then?)

I suppose if I was hoping to someday catch a unicorn mating with Nessie during a lightening strike I'd be less concerned with max resolution and perfect exposure than with accessing the burst mode that offered TAV, exposure bracketing and max FPS though.

H2
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, Pacerr. Long time no see.

Yeah, I have to admit the 'scene' modes are something that makers shouldn't be too proud to include: they're just more program lines and stuff, really. (I suppose they could make some more 'pro-oriented' ones, like 'Blind firing,' 'Where Am I, Again?' 'Local Color,' 'Local Color+Local Beverages,' 'Forgot the $#*@ Spare Cards Again,' 'Artsy Before Coffee,' 'Schmaltz By Request,' 'Unflattering Celebrity Spy Photo' etc. )

It's more needful with my little bridge camera, but I used to leave that pretty permanently set to 'Snow' for when it was just plain hard to see or change settings.

The 'F8 and be there' /instinctual approach was a lot easier when you could set a camera by feel just by turning rings, really.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.
04-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My K20D has no 'scene' modes. Just as well.
My old Sony P&S's have a few scene modes. They go unused.
My not-so-old Olympus 770-SW has many many confusing scene modes. Feh.
If such selections hide behind menus and can't be quickly accessed, they are worthless.
Setting up USER mode as the Panic Button makes much sense.
Too bad Tav doesn't work so well with my newish K50/1.2.
Nothing better happens when I'm shooting M42's.