Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D hotshoe sync problem

Got a K20D. When testing with a external flash and the radio trigger - they don't work.

I've tried 3 different flashes and Youngnuo radio trigger - they don't fire, even the test button doesn't work. Moreover the Youngnuo 560 flash can not be even turned on when mounted. Needless to say everything works fine on my K10.

Seems like the central hot-shoe contact is burned out. Anybody got the same problem? Does anybody knows how much the repair can be?

04-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Its hard to say where the problem lies, especially without knowing your skill level.

One problem people have when using dumb radio triggers is that they camera doesn't know they are there. As such, the camera allows you to set the shutter over the max sync speed of 1/180. If you are faster than that, it will not trigger the flash.

Can you confirm that your shutterspeed is below 1/180th?

If the test button on the flash isn't working, then you have a problem with the flash, not the camera.

If your flash doesn't turn on, you have a problem with the flash, not the camera.
04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NoMaD_PS Quote
I've tried 3 different flashes and Youngnuo radio trigger - they don't fire, even the test button doesn't work.
If the test button doesn't work, how can the problem is with the camera?
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
guys sorry I didn't figure that out. a have some experience with flashes and triggers. all 3 flashes work fine, they fire during test, they work on k10. the trigger does also. i've checked different modes and shutter speeds below 1/160

but the trigger mounted on k20 do not fire, nor the test button works, neither the lamp blinks. the test button on the mounted flash doesn't work, the Youngnuo flash doesn't even turn on when on the working camera.

seems like the camera shortens the flash. i'm looking for some advice or repair solution.

04-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you tried the PC terminal on the K20D?

In the old days the hotshoe and the PC terminal are hardwired together. But I think in DSLRs, they have separate circuits.
04-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Have you tried the PC terminal on the K20D?

In the old days the hotshoe and the PC terminal are hardwired together. But I think in DSLRs, they have separate circuits.
I suppose I got no cable to the PC terminal. Also I have not checked the voltage of the central contact yet.

I'm looking for a forum member who have had the same problem
04-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It sounds like the hot shoe on the K20D is shorted. Could you test with a meter? Check resistance between the center contact and the base of the hot shoe both with the camera on and off.

04-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
It sounds like the hot shoe on the K20D is shorted. Could you test with a meter? Check resistance between the center contact and the base of the hot shoe both with the camera on and off.
Yup, I've tested and found almost no resistance between contact and the base. Seems the contact is shorted.

Does somebody know how this can be repaired?
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
This is what I was told in the Pentax service center:

"All of the contacts on the K20D hotshoe should have the same very slight amount of recession. If the central contact is noticeably different you should send your camera in to our shop for service."

Need help from the forum member who have had the same problem
05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't own a K20D, so I tested my trusty old mule, a * ist DL. Tested with a Fluke 110 digital multimeter, I get 'infinity' resistance between the center point of the hot shoe and the base with the camera both on and off. The other contacts get different readings but still in the K-ohm range. If you are getting just a few ohms, I think something is wrong with the K20D. I don't know what Pentax means by 'recession'. If you think it might be wiring, see my album called K200D Repair. It's not a K20D but it should be similar.
05-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I don't own a K20D, so I tested my trusty old mule, a * ist DL. Tested with a Fluke 110 digital multimeter, I get 'infinity' resistance between the center point of the hot shoe and the base with the camera both on and off. The other contacts get different readings but still in the K-ohm range. If you are getting just a few ohms, I think something is wrong with the K20D. I don't know what Pentax means by 'recession'. If you think it might be wiring, see my album called K200D Repair. It's not a K20D but it should be similar.
Thanks!

very low resistance between central contact and the chassis means that they are connected in some way (shortened). And this is not normal - K10 shows infinite resistance.

Your album shows the white block with contacts, maybe it's the piece that must be replaced.
05-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There is a circuit somewhere in the camera that fires the flash at the right time, probably in the mainboard. If the wiring is OK, then I would think that the flash circuit has failed.