Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cps_goodbuy Quote
As my course is a business masters that requires a business/industry case study, my survey is tailored for this purpose.
Good luck and hope you do well in your assignment.

Have you considered that your survey may be biased to those who are willing to fill in the survey? And these people may not be the ones who are likely to make significant purchases in the near future?

For example, in the last 2 months I have spent $3k on camera equipment, and I'm planning to spend a bit more in the next few months, but I'm not going to compare between Pentax Canon and Nikon because I am already invested in Pentax. Nor am I going to frame my purchasing decision on whether I have $500 or $5000.

If I want something, I'll get it - just a matter of saving enough money until I can make a purchase. Choosing between brands - that's a decision I made 10-15 years ago and I see no reason to change that decision today.

04-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Done.
04-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Good luck and hope you do well in your assignment.

Have you considered that your survey may be biased to those who are willing to fill in the survey? And these people may not be the ones who are likely to make significant purchases in the near future?

For example, in the last 2 months I have spent $3k on camera equipment, and I'm planning to spend a bit more in the next few months, but I'm not going to compare between Pentax Canon and Nikon because I am already invested in Pentax. Nor am I going to frame my purchasing decision on whether I have $500 or $5000.

If I want something, I'll get it - just a matter of saving enough money until I can make a purchase. Choosing between brands - that's a decision I made 10-15 years ago and I see no reason to change that decision today.
Thank you for your well wishes. I hope the reply below better explains the survey.

Surveys are dependant on the individuals that are willing to fill them in, thus there is this bias. Primary research will have some degree of bias that can not be entirely avoided. Bias is identified and factored in the formulation of the research method and then reduced or avoided in the reformulation of the research through testing. Examples of bias are researcher environmental impact, sampling impact, time period impact, interpreter bias etc. The survey was tailored to the area it intends to assess.

This primary research is centred on cluster sampling where there is a targeted segment to be surveyed, i.e. forum members. Also considered is the availability of those members that are willing to fill the survey in, and the snowball effect where additional members are referred to the survey.

This primary research is not a quantitative exercise, but a qualitative one.

The purpose of the questions are not to create statistics, assess individuals purchasing power, or quantify individual preferences, but to allow for me to extrapolate and critically assess the meaning behind the relationships that exist between the answered questions in order to generate a better understanding of the industry.

I have over 80 respondents across three forums to assess over the next few days. Due to the time required and that I am not conducting an interview based research study, I would prefer not to discuss individual's personal preferences in the forum thread until after my analysis. This is due to be completed over the next few days. If you want to make your opinions known, please fill out the survey before it closes on the 1st May.

Thank you all for your responses, I hope to update you with my findings next week. Unfortunately, I will be unavailable over the next few days for questions.
04-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter

I clicked on this post thinking it was a survey to find out how many of us have degrees we're not using; sort of a glimpse into the mind-set of the typical Pentaxian. Or maybe, just into my own ...

Once I saw the questions I somehow felt compelled to jump right in. Filling in the answers wasn't as easy as I at first thought. In the end, the glimpse I got was indeed into my own mind, my own desires and my own beliefs. Thank you and good luck pouring over the data!