Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

???

hello...i am new to the DLSR world.....i own a pentax *istD S and would love to know what the best (reasonably priced) lens i can get to snap great pics of my kids?? i have a pentax FAJ 1:3.5 28-80mm that came with the camera but the pics turn out horrible...grainy...and yellow. please let me know what is best for my camera.
Thank you

04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kbaskett5 Quote
hello...i am new to the DLSR world.....i own a pentax *istD S and would love to know what the best (reasonably priced) lens i can get to snap great pics of my kids?? i have a pentax FAJ 1:3.5 28-80mm that came with the camera but the pics turn out horrible...grainy...and yellow. please let me know what is best for my camera.
Thank you
whichever lens comes with lessons about how to use your camera...also, you might want to title your thread something a little more descriptive of what the thread is about, lest people ignore it.
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you

It may not be the lens.

First can you frame the picture alright?

In other words do you feel you always have to back away or get closer - or do you find you can more or less stay where you are from where you see your picture to take it.

If the latter then the lens focal length range is probably OK for you.

The other thing is do the pictures - despite being yellow and grainy look OK in terns of being sharp etc?

Again if so then the lens is probably OK.

Let's address the yellowness - I have to assume you are shooting in regular room lighting?

Then just try the lens camera combination outdoors in good (sun)light - do the pictures look OK then?

If so it is definitely NOT the lens that's the problem -
you've probably figured it out for yourself now it's because you are shooting under room/artificial lighting which is very yellow - on the *istD S there is a white balance control - you are probably set on the default AWB (Auto White Balance) which is ok for most lighting but can only correct down to 4000K color temperature.

You want to set that off from AWB to the light bulb symbol - Tungsten Light and now try shooting your photos under the room lighting - the colors probably would be more what you expected/wanted.

Graininess - this is probably due to the lower light levels under room lighting - so when the camera takes the photo (without flash) - it boosts the sensitivity (or ISO) generally the higher the sensitivity the more grain or noise is visible.

There isn't much one can do - other than use the flash (watch it, remember to set back to AWB again otherwise the pictures will be too BLUE - as would any outdoors shot) - which may not be what you want -

Or you can open the lens up to its maximum aperture (the smaller number) under Av setting and choose an ISO setting that's ISO800 or below - and hope your shutter speed isn't too slow - most people have problems holding the camera still enough with shutter speeds below about 1/15sec - so watch for that - otherwise you'd have complaints about the pictures being blurry due to camera or subject movement.

Congrats on your new camera and welcome to the world of dSLR -
Good luck!

There is a shortcut to get to the White Balance setting by using the Fn (Function button)

Last edited by UnknownVT; 04-27-2011 at 10:49 PM.
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What part of OK are you in? If you are in/near Tulsa you might drop by Tulsa Digital Photography Group. It is a very helpful bunch of folks, around 100 active members now, and we could use some more Pentax shooters.

04-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you
sounds like you are shooting at high ISO with daylight WB under incandescent lighting.

Post an image or two to look at, and as others have suggested, read your manual and look at the camera settings,.

While the FA-J lenses are not the greatest, they are optically respectible for the price
04-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thank you
FAJ's suck, they are intended to be el-cheapo's, below sample is FA 35-80mm. Purchased like 50USD

Sample picture

Last edited by cbaytan; 04-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.