Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any drawbacks to DNG RAW on K-X?

I understand the K-X can shoot in RAW using proprietary format for the file or DNG format. DNG is more compatible with various software from my understanding, like Aperture and Adobe Lightroom.

Which should I use, the proprietary RAW format or DNG? Does Adobe Lightroom read the proprietary RAW files? Are there any advantages of the proprietary RAW format over DNG?

04-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you plan on keeping the RAWs indefinately as an archive, you´re better with DNG as it´s more likely to be supported in the future.
04-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
SPB

If you import your raw images into Aperture, as long as you stay with Mac and Aperture I see no problem in keeping them in PEF format either.

So if Pentax dropped PEF, those images can be kept in Aperture or can be exported to TIFF or PNG or PSD, so I see no problems in PEF format or DNG.

What I normally do is copy the PEF originals to a DVD then import from the DVD to Aperture. Then to be sure I copy the originals to an external drive which is backed up by another. SO I end up with 3 or 4 copies of the original.

Photoshop and as far as I know Lightroom also handles PEF.

I wouldn't want to guess if DNG will last longer than PEF or vice-versa. And I don't care particularly. It is important to have a plan.
04-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go with PEF... there's support for PEF in applications already and it's most likely not going be dropped - simply because it takes effort to remove the support than just keep it in.

Like, hell, you can open PEF in OS X Preview.

04-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
SPB

of course I forgot Preview, Pixelmator and more than likely Gimp all handle pef's
04-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Truly, it doesn't matter - use the one your software will read - if yours can read both, shoot in either. PEFs are slightly smaller than DNGs, but that too doesn't matter all that much. I'm only shooting DNGs because I'm too much of a cheapskate to have to keep buying the latest Photoshop version every time I upgrade my camera.
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Are there any technical advantages to shooting one over the other?
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Truly, it doesn't matter - use the one your software will read - if yours can read both, shoot in either. PEFs are slightly smaller than DNGs, but that too doesn't matter all that much. I'm only shooting DNGs because I'm too much of a cheapskate to have to keep buying the latest Photoshop version every time I upgrade my camera.
PEF files from the K-x are not appreciably smaller than DNG files. Both formats average around 12-13MB. The only real advantage DNG has is that it will be a better archive format as it will be supported longer than PEF.

04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The only advantage DNG has over PEF is that more programs recognize DNG and the only advantage PEF has over DNG is the file size.

I have used both in PPing and have not noticed a single difference in what can be modified in the files. Personally I think it is more advantageous to shoot in DNG because you can use it on multiple programs and that outweighs the space saved on file size (which is pretty minimal).
05-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #10

DNG from the camera is supported by DxO software but DNG converted by Adobe converter is not supported.

Other than that, it seems that most modern software supports both PEF and DNG.

PEF format is supported by the special SlikyPix software packaged with Pentax cameras, which enables software manipulation that only Pentax can do. I'm not sure if the DNG from the camera is also open to image manipulation with the Pentax/SilkyPix software.
05-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #11

Adobe has released a free Windows (7) codec that plugs in into the Explorer, so it will display miniatures and fullscreen DNG files. I have tested it with my K-m DNG files, and it works nicely.
JAN.
DNG Codec - Adobe Labs
05-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

the only problem I see with PEF is that depending on softwware and update availability, you get into an issue where your favorite image editor is not always out with a version that supports the PEF from your new camera. You need to remember that PEF is camera specific.

If you are in that situation, or if you use some older versions from time to time, then DNG is better.

the other option is shoot PEF and then use the adobe DNG converter to convert to DNG if needed.
05-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shoot DNG+JPG. K-x DNG work fine with Lightroom and everything else I've thrown at them, including Pentax DCU4. DNG is not tied to particular hardware (like PEF, NEF, CR2 etc are) and in theory is relatively more flexible than PEF across systems and applications, and as an archive format may cause you less hassles in future.

One feature of DNG that is handy, fwiw, is that Lightroom can optionally write directly into the DNG metadata stuff like your adjustments.
05-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I assumed PEF files would be smaller because of the compression. I'm not sure if the K-x is using compression on the DNG files. However, when I compare PEF files from the K20d to DNG files from the K-x, the ratio of sensor megapixels to file size seems about the same.
05-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Bingo. Though I probably will get the newer Elements, if I get a K-5...someday.

And, there are threads about PEF vs DNG in the digital processing thread I am sure.