Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x mystery spots!

hi everyone

my lovely K-x is showing 'spot symptoms' that are apparently sensor-related although i'm not so sure about that.

please take a look on the attached test shot that i took of a bright blank monitor screen (please also forge the picture's poor quality, which is due to photographer's hasty negligence!)

but also before you drop any replies here, do please consider the following:

- the Dust shot taken by the camera (also attached, beneath the testshot) is ok: not a single spot or blemish of any kind or size, only pure white surface

- haven't tried the Pixel Mapping feature yet though. (requires fresh batteries, tried it, still the camera doesn't accept anything but costly Lithium batteries as 'fresh' and that's presently out of the question due to pocket issues!)

- tried a different lens too, still the same, so it's the camera's fault, not the lens.

- lens used was bare, no filters attached.

will appreciate any kind of workable diagnosis response or possible solutions.

best to all
PR

Attached Images

04-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it's just a dirty sensor. First step is to clean it with a rocket blower. Plenty of threads on how that is done in the forum via the search feature. Normal part of life with a DSLR.
04-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I had exactly the situation you have, with my K-r, earlier in the year. I was convinced it was sensor staining but I took the advice of those in the know and used a blower to remove any possible dust (and like your dust check, mine was as pure as, as well)

Sure enough, it was dust. I never saw it, but after I blew, it was gone. Never had any more problems and onsold it a couple of months later to a very happy new owner.
04-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like dust to me. Not sure why it doesn't show up on the dust check, though.

It wouldn't show up if it was on the lens, so give the sensor a good blast with a Rocket Blower.

04-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

the best dust check is a bright blue sky at f 22 or so, the in camera check doesn't catch it all in my experience. this looks like dust to me
blower, then stick pad tool like the pentax kit if it doesn't go from blowing
04-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Banned

if a simple blower doesn't do the trick, I would without hesitation recommend you pick up one of the official Pentax sensor cleaning kits. they work so well, that Leica uses them in there manufacturing facilities.
04-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A good idea would be to enable start-up dust removal. It does a pretty good job of keeping your sensor clean.
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
MSM
Veteran Member

Just a word of caution. I would be careful to not get to aggressive with the Rocket Blower. Give it a couple of quick blasts and recheck. If done too aggressively, you may end up getting dust up behind the focusing screen. I know because it happened to me. Of course, I then made matters worse trying to blow dust off the focusing screen only to push more dust up behind the screen. Just my thoughts.

04-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Looks like dust to me. Not sure why it doesn't show up on the dust check, though.

It wouldn't show up if it was on the lens, so give the sensor a good blast with a Rocket Blower.
I don't put much faith in the dust checker feature. Many times mine will show clean, but the picture taken will have the same type of spots as the OP is getting. A good blast with a Rocket Blower then cleans the dust off.
05-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #10

Hmm, I have a very similar problem on my K-r. One "dust" spot which really only shows up at F11 and above. Have a Giotto rocket blower which has proven ineffective at removal. Three people have examined the camera and the thing is you just cannot see any spot on the sensor or mirror or lens. So Im not convinced it is a dust spot. Hope you get yours sorted because this problem just nags away at you.
05-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone used one of these?
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
We're sorry. We can't find the page you're looking for.
The page you've requested may have been moved, renamed, or does not exist.
05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've had that similar problem, but once I cleaned the sensor, it was gone.
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
Hmm, I have a very similar problem on my K-r. One "dust" spot which really only shows up at F11 and above. Have a Giotto rocket blower which has proven ineffective at removal. Three people have examined the camera and the thing is you just cannot see any spot on the sensor or mirror or lens. So Im not convinced it is a dust spot. Hope you get yours sorted because this problem just nags away at you.
It is a dust spot. Get a Sensor Pen or one of the many wet cleaning methods.

You will never see dust on your sensor because it is too small to see with the naked eye.
05-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Don't waste your money. That is a total scam. It's a blower that ionizes the air that the blower blows. Even if it did work, $150 for a Giottos rocket with a 9 volt battery attached is ridiculous.