Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

KX, No weather proofing but... Beer proof?

My K-X has been briefly doused in a variety of domestic and imported beers on several occasions while shooting gigs. The most recent of which was my own oatmeal stout, which I accidentally poured all over my kx much to my dismay. Thankfully the camera has always been fine after being wiped down with some napkins, and hasn't required much babying. I even shot video immediately after and the mic wasn't affected.

So my question is, has anyone else accidentally doused their kx in some liquid, or shot in heavy rain, and damaged it? Or has it miraculously survived? Share your stories please. I feel pretty lucky so far about not having killed it yet, but my next body will definitely be WR.

04-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, mine has only gotten wet a little. For damage, mine took about a 5ft fall, the impact was so hard it blew out the glass on the lens filter, to my surprise, it only put a small scratch on the camera body and everything still works as it should. The build quality in these things are outstanding...
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
nah

Photos: Gallery
I think all cameras will take a bit of liquid and provided that it gets wiped up quickly. If the water is left to sit, I'm sure it'd find a way into the body.
05-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My brother-in-law left his K-X with a hot shoe flash attached in a spot where my little nieces could get to it. The camera hit hard enough to break the flash foot right off. The camera survived totally intact, not eve a scratch, not so much for the flash. Seems to be a good tough camera.

06-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

my ds k10 and k7 have all been doused with beer at gigs (and spit, some blood at one show..... crap happens, they all still work, i worry more about the lenses getting infiltrated by the beer than the camera
06-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
The most recent of which was my own oatmeal stout,
Wasn't Samuel Smith's was it? Not good for the camera, and a waste of some of the best stuff ever brewed.
06-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

I shoot under heavy rain a week ago with my k-x and a Tamron 17-50 mounted on it.
After 2 minutes the camera looked like the k-5 in the advertising, covered with drops of water.
After 10 minutes i dried it with the shirt , no problem encountered.

06-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine was doused with some of my homebrew pale ale and came out fine. In fact, it seemed happy with the taste;-)

06-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Wasn't Samuel Smith's was it? Not good for the camera, and a waste of some of the best stuff ever brewed.
That's wierd... Here in the UK Sam Smiths tastes like p**s!
Timothy Taylor's... Now there's a nice pint...
06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

My k-x is amazing how it repels alcoholic drinks. I open a bottle, planning to soak the cam - just to test it! - next thing I know the bottle is empty & not a drop shows on the camera! Seems to work just as well with whiskey.

On a more sober note - mine has been deeply misted on a few mornings, with no ill effects. I have yet to hear of a k-x or k-r moisture failure, though no owner really goes out of his/her way to prove it!
06-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You all truly shock me. Spilling beer on a camera? Taking it out in the rain? On purpose? (MagKelly gasps in true horror at the thought!) I always put a nice plastic bag type cover on my baby when I take it out in the rain, to a bar etc. The beauty that is a Pentax K-x deserves nothing less, IMHO.

:P

I'd put good camera armor on it if I could actually ever find some that I could afford, but alas, such things are way out of my budget and my home grown solution will just have to do! But deliberately expose my precious camera to the likes of rain, beer, etc?

NEVER!!!!! (LOL)
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd put good camera armor on it if I could actually ever find some that I could afford,
Is there actually camera armour for the K-x?? I've seen some for 'other' brands...
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Having a weather sealed body is nice, cause when it starts pouring you just point the (non-WR) lens toward the ground. Automatic lens umbrella!

Doesn't beer have a little sugar in it? I think that would do more damage than just water.
06-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, they make it for Pentax. I have seen armor for the K-7 and it looks like they're also going to make it for the K-r and the K-5 at least I've seen listings indicating that it's coming. I have not seen it yet for the K-x. The armor I've seen is heavy rubber and it's fairly expensive. Nice, if you have the $$$ though.
06-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
just make sure pictures are not blurry after the beer