Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Shooting in DNG lost files

Hi I recently bought the k-x (one of the last ones available) and while becoming familiar with it, I decided to shoot some shots in the Raw format. After a few shots I viewed them on the computer. I then deleted them and switched the raw format to adobe's dng format. I viewed the pictures on the camera, then I connected the camera to the computer and opened the folder, and Nothing! No files were in the folder!
I tried a 2nd time and again the same thing. I tried a 3rd time, and then I saw the files. I don't know what happed, but I am now nervous that if I shoot in this format, the picture will not be saved.
I also tried to view those lost pics on the camera, and they were no longer there when I turned the camera back on.
Any thoughts?
Thanks !
Jake

04-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you format the card in the Camera? Many problems can crop up if this is not done.
04-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is no relationship between the image format that you use and the problem that you see. Test your card; jolepp advises to use a program called called 'h2testw' (windows).

One error and throw the card away.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-30-2011 at 09:22 AM.
04-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I disagree. I was not referring to the file format but to the formatting of the card, Improperly formatted memory cards can introduce a variety of errors, especially if used in different cameras.

Camera Memory Card Tip: Reformat Often - NYTimes.com
"Turns out, there are some pretty good reasons. Reformatting ensures that the data on the card and the file structure are clean, which will help you avoid error messages or missing images. And the longer you go without reformatting a card, the better the chances that it will become corrupted. Another reason to reformat is, over time, your card will hold fewer images if you never reformat. So while it may stow 100 photos today, in a year that number could drop to 90."

04-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry, I was not referring to formatting, but the format of the image file.

Have edited the post.
04-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good point!

Thanks for your responses!
Your suggestion mdave, is a good one as I have not formated the card ever!
It seemed to work fine, and why fix something that's not broken?
It still doesn't sit well with me though that it's a formating problem, because the lack of consistancy (sometimes working).
Another thought I had, was that the batteries were low and also I had placed a file in the root directory from a computer the same day. But again it lacks consistancy
If it didn't work, then it should not have worked all the time!
Nonetheless I will reformat!
Thanks for your suggestions!
Jake
05-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Reformat as suggested and then test the card with test shots. If there is another error, probably dump the card and replace.

I bought two identical cards once, not a known brand name. Both recorded fine but one was lot slower to write and download data onto the PC than the other.

Then on the slow one, I took a bunch of shots in DNG and found that 4 out of 20 shots had not recorded properly. They showed up as thumbnails on my PC and were viewable on my camera screen but when I opened them full size, parts of the lower portion of the images would not display.

I dumped the card. No problems since then with the other card.
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
If it didn't work, then it should not have worked all the time!
Wrong thinking. Some memory cells might be at the edge or you may have used memory locations that have not been used before so you did not pick it up, Whatever.

Don't rely on the card, even after formatting, without proper testing.

05-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses

Thank You!!
And I'll do just that!
Jake