Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
WMBP - I understand your point. A camera that does BW is a pretty strange request. When you shoot in-camera BW you are arent really making a conversion and you arent losing anything if you shoot in RAW. I need to clarify myself - I think I started this thread out incorrectly. My point of wanting to shoot in-camera BW is just so that I can see what my photo looks like. The light, the shadows, and the overall tones. The camera sensor retains everything that it sees - colors, etc etc. The beauty of this is that you can go either way....keep the color or switch to grayscale in your software.

11-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So really, what you want is a customizable BW LCD review mode?
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mattdm - not sure if a customizable LCD is the answer. Shooting BW in-camera and viewing the result while still on the scene is a valuable learning tool. Just makes the composition easier for me. Its a trade off I guess...one half or the other. Either way I will work with what I have.
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think you're asking for what mattdm suggests if you want to keep the underlying colour info intact in the RAW file. You seem to want a normal RAW image and a B&W converted image (jpg?) using traditional B&W filter effects (red, orange, yellow, etc) applied in camera. If Canon & Nikon can do this you'll need one of them (sounds like you already have a D80?) but a K10D will be of no use to you.

There was a Kodak camera (DSLR based on a Nikon or Canon) that was a pure B&W digital. From what I understand, by discarding the colour filters there's the potential to have a higher resolution and sharper B&W image. Minimal chance of anyone producing one though, but you never know... Kodak did it once!