Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Here’s just a few of the advantages the K-7 has over the K-x…

- weather sealing
- better AF accuracy
- faster AF
- more FPS
- more accurate exposure
- much quieter shutter
- better AWB
- bigger (100%) and brighter viewfinder
- superior LCD
- direct control buttons
- magnesium alloy body
- spirit level
- 77 segment meter vs. 16 segment meter

As an owner of both cameras there is no comparison between the two. The K-7 is a semi professional camera and K-x is an entry level camera - which feels like a toy by comparison.
These are the issue. I had a K20 and a K7 and found myself using the K7 significantly more, because it was easier to get the shots I wanted with the K7. The same is true for the kx, I am sure. The sensor is better on the Kx versus the K7, but everything else pretty much favors the K7 and in the end, if your goal is to get an in focus, sharp, well exposed photo, the K7 may get you there better than the Kx.

05-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

K-r or K7?

Hi there, I'm having a similar crisis at the moment, as I'm currently in the process of selling my K100D Super on ebay. I shoot birds, bugs 'n flowers mostly, and kid's soccer games. The K100D has served my amateur level interests very well, but often, I'd like to crop the soccer shots in closer, beyond the limits allowed by my 6MP sensor images. Up until today, I was all keen on the K-r, but I've just realised the K7 prices seem to have dropped to an attainable level. How will these cameras (K-r and K7) stack up against the K100D Super? And which one would be the logical 'Best" for my needs?
Regards
05-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #18

Hi and congrats on the K7 purchase. Sounds like you are really happy with it.

I own a Kx and had it not been for a desire to try the mft cams when Panasonic bought out the GF-1 I would have owned a K7!

The price it can be had for (at least overseas) at the moment is very tempting. I would agree with you about the difference in feel between the 2 cams (Kx/K7) but of course that is to be expected given their respective target markets.

Some of the buttons and dials on the Kx do feel a bit squishy and cheaply made but at least I can still pop on my somewhat heavy Sigma DF 28-70 2.8 lens and the FG540Z flash and walk around holding it by the grip without it ever feeling like something is going to break, and it does take nice pics I have to admit.

I will likely try and hold off for another 12 months or so and review the K5 price then and determine whether the extra size and weight and the lack of AA batteries in the body aren't hurdles as my body ages yet another year.

If the price is right then I may be tempted otherwise perhaps the K7 or maybe the Kr or ...K? :-)

Regards,
Paul
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I agree with the consensus that K-7 is a superior camera over all.

I also got one very recently having owned a K-x which I still have. While the K-x is a gem in its own ways, the K-7 seems to offer me a lot of what I want as I rarely shoot anything over ISO 800, even though I've seen plenty of K-7 photos at ISO 1600 or greater that would be keepers in my book.

Congratulations on your upgrade. Now, show us some of them portraits!

05-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having owned the K-x and the K-7 for a year now the time has come to part with the one that isn't getting much love. There's no point in keeping a neglected camera, and of the two that would be...
05-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #21
Forum Member

Firstly crossover37 good luck with the new camera,love to read of your lowlight experiences kx vs k7 in a while.I've been wandering through a few threads like this one here lately,got me wondering why it seems that some owners of the previous model Pentax mostly say the latest model is not worth the extra funds.I had a K7 now K5,feels like they took the K7 and stuck a twin turbo V12 in it.I can wave the K5 around in the dark an it takes pictures of things I can hardly see.This thing is a revelation.
05-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Here’s just a few of the advantages the K-7 has over the K-x…
Only if all these gets better IQ than k-x, personally I love what k-x produces compared to both k20d and k-7.

QuoteQuote:
- better AF accuracy
- faster AF
k-x as same accuracy as k-7, probably a better AF in liveview. It doesn't have adjustment for individual lenses though.

QuoteQuote:
- more FPS
Something I don't care.

QuoteQuote:
- more accurate exposure
Again this is debatable.

QuoteQuote:
- much quieter shutter
Agree

QuoteQuote:
- better AWB
Not always, there has been enough discussion about this and k-x AWB is as good as k-7.

Since you have both the cameras, you can share some images where you feel AWB or exposure is bad for k-x. In fact you will find much cleaner images with better dynamic range and I won't mind losing other controls for better IQ.

Last edited by yusuf; 05-05-2011 at 03:34 AM.
05-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I mainly shoot for print work. We printed out quite a few images from the K-x/K-20/K-7 back in May of last year (I bought the K-7 in June). In print I really could not tell any difference between any of the 3 cameras. 100% crops on an LCD monitor you can see the difference between the 3 and the K-x is cleaner, but that is not really relevant for real world applications.

K-7 has improved AF accuracy according to Pentax. The K-7 has a color sensor to adjust AF based on color temperature. Is there a real world difference? I don't know I did not have a K-x long enough to find out.

Live View AF should be the same since according to Pentax they use the same CDAF system.

The 12MP sensor in the K-x is really good and for JPEG shooters I think the K-x is probably the best choice. If you are shooting RAW I don't think it really matters which one you are using. They are both capable of excellent results when it comes to IQ.

05-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
K-7 has improved AF accuracy according to Pentax.
K-7 has better AF accuracy than K-x according to me too, not to mention the AF confirmation LEDs and larger, brighter viewfinder, which are helpful in obtaining (manual) and verifying (AF) focus.
05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #25

Original Poster
I researched the JPEG quality on the Kx and the K7 and according to DPReview the JPEG's are better on the Kx but the Raw files are better on the K7.

I only shoot Raw so that's what I care about which is another reason I chose the K7.

I have a couple portrait sessions coming up in the next couple weeks so I'll post some images on here to show some examples of the image quality.
05-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
JHD
Veteran Member

The lens attached to the camera has a lot more to do with the final result than the sensor. For what it is, the K-x is a nice camera, but it doesn't compare very well with a K-7.