Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
pocketable DSLR?

Hi everyone,

in line with the widespreading live view technology in various branded DSLR cameras, have any of you heard about something like a digital K like model planned for the near future in the pentax lineup ?

Pentax: Photokina 2006 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Pentax/IMG_0409.jpg

I would love to have a pancake lens ready to use in my jacket pocket...

pierre

11-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always thought that Pentax's series of pancake lenses would be perfect for a camera along the lines of a "digital Contax G2".
11-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Great idea, but I can't see it happening in the near future. But I agree, this is something I'd like; a dSLR with a smaller, flatter body that could fit in a coat pocket or at least under a jacket. Something like the Olympus E-410 with Pentax pancake lenses. Or to put it another way, a digital MX. In addition to being great for those occasions when you want to walk around without announcing "Hey, I'm a photographer, taking photographs with this camera!", it would also be very practical as a backup taking up less space. So if Pentax were to start a range like this I would definitely buy them. But then, Pentax have other priorities, and I can't see it happening for a while yet.
11-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Not Registered

It should have live view and the first model would be mondo expensive but I cannot stop dreaming with that moment. I am seeing myself with the mini110D and a 400mm f2.8 lens like in a cartoon.... delightful

11-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Well a 400mm f/2.8 pancake lens might be a problem Such a camera would mainly be for wide-angle to moderate telephoto, a bit like an alternative to a rangefinder (since no-one is making affordable D-RFs).
11-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Well a 400mm f/2.8 pancake lens might be a problem Such a camera would mainly be for wide-angle to moderate telephoto, a bit like an alternative to a rangefinder (since no-one is making affordable D-RFs).
In my dream you push a button and the lens unfolds. But I agree with you, the real one would be a nice alternative to rangefinders and IMO it would be a huge success.
11-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oly E-510

QuoteOriginally posted by pimocchio Quote
Hi everyone,

in line with the widespreading live view technology in various branded DSLR cameras, have any of you heard about something like a digital K like model planned for the near future in the pentax lineup ?

Pentax: Photokina 2006 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Pentax/IMG_0409.jpg

I would love to have a pancake lens ready to use in my jacket pocket...

pierre
I was seriously looking at the Oly E-510 since it is comparable with Pentax glass and is very close to what you are looking for. The deal breaker was the image stabilization doesn't work on the Pentax lenses. I think there are a lot of us looking for a smaller body than the K100D with LV. Hope we see one before I'm to old to enjoy it.

Regards,

Ken

11-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I proposed a Digital version of the old Auto 110 several months ago. It'd be simple to dust off the old lens designs and fitting a 4/3 sensor into that body would be simple... Add aperture and shutter control (old Auto 110 was pure auto exposure) and walla - Instant pocket DSLR...

To read more about the Pentax Auto 110 click here...
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Pentax Engineers Said

QuoteOriginally posted by pimocchio Quote
I would love to have a pancake lens ready to use in my jacket pocket...pierre
The Pentax engineers, on this site, said they were working on a small camera and said they weren't working on FF, but would consider all suggestions. All the deluded jumped on that statement, but not on the statement about a small camera. I think it's inevitable. But, this was before the finalization of the Hoya deal, so who knows?
This is the only way that Pentax could get me to replace my DS. More megapixels? No interest. FF? No interest. More features? Marginal interest. Greater dynamic range? Well, lots of interest. The big issue for me is size as I already have all the pancakes, just waiting too...