Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Clear/IR conversion

I would like to do some IR shooting and I am concidering getting my K-7 converted to the full spectrum filter or buying a secondhand something for a pure ir conversion. I am leaning to the idea of the clear filter for the added option of normal photography or IR with filters.

I do have a K-5 for my main camera now so I am not too worried about the hinderance of using filters on the K-7, but I wouldn't do the IR conversion on the K-7. The other option is getting a K-X or a K20 etc and getting a dedicated IR conversion.

I was looking at spencers but then read some horrible things here about them, I dont want to send my camera overseas to a place that isn't a sure thing... so basically my question is firstly have you got a camera with the ir blocking filter removed and clear filter installed and how do you find it? and secondly is there a place that does good conversions / is spencers ok and just had a couple of bad cases.

05-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've read that the old 6 MP sensors were good for IR. Maybe look for a used K100D.
05-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I've read that the old 6 MP sensors were good for IR. Maybe look for a used K100D.
Any camera will work well with IR after you take off the IR Cut filter.

The K100D Super works really well without conversion because the IR filter is relatively weak compared to other cameras in the line.
05-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Isn't IR film +SLR cheaper for such purposes?
Although it depends on a lot of factors.
Number of shots, instant review, film quality/availability/price etc.

I'd also recommend some of the older 6Mpix cameras. k200d has already fairly strong IR filter and lower sensor sensitivity. K100d was bleeding IR all over the place, one couldn't get burning charocal or electric heater red. I'd even expect it to perform relatively well unmodified, with just some IR low-pass filter.
I think it was related to pixel size. When near the wavelength of IR light, the smaller they get, the less sensitive they become.