Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera dilemma

I have a dilemma.

I have a K20D, K-x, *ist DS and a recently acquired K-7 all with relatively low mileage. I try to use them all but I suspect I have at least two cameras that probably feel a little neglected at any given time. I've kept them all because I thought they all offered something special like the K20D was my first (actually the second copy of my first DSLR), K-x is the king of low noise at high ISO, *ist DS is the I-am-cheap-but-I-ll-go-anywhere-with-you kind of body, and K-7 was my recent acquisition which I fancy for its ergonomics, rugged body, shutter sound and FPS rate.

I do shoot a bit for fun whenever time permits but definitely not enough to justify having them all. I shoot mostly landscape and streets but lately started to get into portraiture and architecture. I now want a K-5 but definitely do not want to add a fifth body, and don't want to put much from my pocket. I've also decided to down-size to just two bodies. I have a couple of lenses that I don't use much which I could shed to fund for partial cost of K-5 but my dilemma is what combination of cameras to keep?
  • K-5 and K-20D,
  • K-5 and K-7,
  • K-5 and K-x or
  • K-5 and also get a K200D
What do you think?

Thanks.

05-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My current kit consist's of a K-5 (digital), K-X (digital) and a Program Plus (film). The K-5 is used with a bunch of different lenses while the K-X is married to my 8mm FE, the Program Plus is always loaded with B&W Film - all three are always with me (I do flip the film camera every few weeks or so but always shooting B&W film, just had the Program Plus CLA'd recently)...
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Which is more important, WR body or high ISO performance? If WR is a must then a K5 and either K20D or K7 as backup.
If high ISO is of importance then K5 and K-x would be my choice.
05-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DS would bring in the least money to fund a K-5. The DS uses AA batteries that make it nice as a take along any time camera and also does IR (with a filter) better than the newer sensors. I can't think of anything the K-X, K-7, or K20 does better than a K-5, so sell them and keep the DS.

05-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

K-7 + K-5 makes the most sense to me because controls are similar, both WR, battery & grip are interchangeable. The K-x is not that much smaller, the K-5 will do high ISO slightly better than the K-x and I prefer the look of images from the Samsung sensor vs the K-x. I much prefer the look of the old 6mp sensors vs. K-x too, but 6 mp are simply not enough for cropping.

I have a K20D and K-x and recently tried a K-5. There was no question that I was keeping the K20D, selling the K-x. Instead I ended up sending the K-5 back for serious tungsten light problems (even after v1.03 upgrade) and inconsistent flash exposure. I've decided to keep what I have until I see what the rumoured APS-C MILC looks like.
05-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

While not faced with as many complex choices as you I would not give up (in order):

1) the best practical low light capability.
2) superb image quality under good lighting conditions.
3) the ability for remote triggering from sleep mode.

But that's me... I would not give up my K100D's remote-trigger-from-sleep-mode for a waterproof camera because I want to be able to lay remote long time photo traps for wildlife or whatever & do extended time-lapse photo monitoring... even though I seldom do such things.

Your priority list may well differ from mine; maybe you'd give up practical long term remote triggering for avoiding the use of a plastic bag to protect your camera in the rain; I wouldn't.

Last edited by newarts; 05-02-2011 at 05:27 AM.
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1. K5 + K7 for ergonomics as mentioned by audiobomber. (sell K20D and K-x)
  2. K5 + K-x if low light is important (sell K20D and K7)
  3. K5 + K20D (sell K7 and K-x); motivation for this is that the K7 has the highest resale value
My option would probably be 3
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.

I think for now, my inclination is to keep the K7, and get a K-5 after selling my K20D and *ist DS as I have just sold the K-x.

05-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Thanks, everyone.

I think for now, my inclination is to keep the K7, and get a K-5 after selling my K20D and *ist DS as I have just sold the K-x.
I'd sell off everything but the K20D and buy the K-5 But that's because I think K20D/K-7 have virtually indistinguishable IQ, and the K20D is more comfortable in my hand. The K-5 is the most enjoyable photographic instrument I've ever owned.
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well there you go, the K-5 + K-7 is a great combination. Despite the K-7 vs K20D argument, you will by keeping the K-7 have no issues with switching between the K-5 and K-7 in terms of user interface and button layout.
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, looks like answer seems to be "None of the above" for now :ugh:

K-x and *ist DS have been sold but K20D hasn't gotten a bite yet so I am going to have to keep it along with my K-7. Although I am not too far from raising enough funds to go for a K-5, I just don't want to add another body to my bag.

Guess I will continue to play with these two and decide a bit later.